The 69 Eyes - recommendations?

Keep in mind, I don't like growling. Does any of the above bands have that element in their music? That's why I'm finding myself liking To/Die/For, 69 Eyes, Saviour Machine, and Poisonblack so much. Poisonblack has been kickin' my butt this week! :headbang:

~Brian~

Okay then I'd take Ruthven's advice on Paradise Lost and Moonspell, and save Dir en Grey for a rainy day. The rest, I'm sure you'll find something to like about them. Would you like links?

Props on liking Saviour Machine! Seems a number of people here dig them. I've had the fortune of seeing them live twice, once was on Halloween night in 1999 at a venue in Chicago with the bands Rackets & Drapes and The Wedding Party. I'm well-versed with all three bands so if you're interested, I can show you where to buy the merchandise.

That being said, you might also like Virgin Black.

edgeofthorns,

Yep, Entwine's "DIEversity" is a great cd! In fact, I like all of their cds and there's no growling at all. Another band up that same alley is Lacrimas Profundere. If you can track down "Ave End" from them, I'll think you'll be pleased.

You're dancing dangerously close to that HIM area. You into that stuff at all or interested in being into that stuff? I've got a few winners along that line.

edgeofthorns,

Yep, Entwine's "DIEversity" is a great cd! In fact, I like all of their cds and there's no growling at all. Another band up that same alley is Lacrimas Profundere. If you can track down "Ave End" from them, I'll think you'll be pleased.

You're dancing dangerously close to that HIM area. You into that stuff at all or interested in being into that stuff? I've got a few winners along that line.

I've made a note of the Entwine when Derek mentioned it. I'll check out Lacrimas Profundere as well.

HIM....I've listened to track here and there, but not enough to form an opinion yet, so shoot if you have a suggestion.

~Brian~

I've made a note of the Entwine when Derek mentioned it. I'll check out Lacrimas Profundere as well.

HIM....I've listened to track here and there, but not enough to form an opinion yet, so shoot if you have a suggestion.

~Brian~

Well, to me, HIM is just a melodic rock band straight out. Some call them "goth" some "pop". Whatever. Good songs and nice melody. With that in mind, you may want to check out bands like:

Soul Relic (sadly, they only made 1 cd but it's a killer)
Charon
Embraze
Negative
The Love Crave
Lovex
Morian (sentinels of the sun album)
and if you really fall in love with the band HIM, you can go all hardcore and track down some UniKlubi (although I'd say it's more amateur HIM style).

Now, before everyone shits their pants telling me about my recommendations, I'm not saying these are HIM clones or they sound just like HIM. I'm saying that if I were mixing a tape, I could easily justify putting these bands on with HIM. :zombie:

Have you tried The Birthday Massacre? I really like their song Blue here is the link to the youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp1FRKc24Zk

I just found out they are playing the Masquerade on Aug. 14th in Atlanta.

That band *#$^$ rules. And pretty unclassifiable, too. They've got a strong New Wave/synth thing going on combined with some heavy duty guitar action and sugary sweet pop melodies. Musically they remind me of Deadsy or Orgy but with better hooks...maybe Deadsy crossed with Garbage. I saw them twice last year, when they played the Masquerade, their guitarist practically stood by the door and shook everyone's hand as they left. Great, energetic live show.

Click here, for some pics of their show, courtesy of Mr. Paul Cashman.

Well, to me, HIM is just a melodic rock band straight out. Some call them "goth" some "pop". Whatever. Good songs and nice melody.

True dat. I find it funny that people complained about their last album, saying it wasn't heavy enough. Yeah, if you want to hear something heavy, you're not going to listen to HIM. FWIW, that's not a rag on the band, since I love them.

~Brian~

Shockingly, I think their best overall album is probably their most recent, "Dark Light," even though it doesn't include my favorite songs (go figure). The song "Beyond Redemption" (from the album "Love Metal") is one of my uptempo favorites from the band.

The new After Forever has a ton of growling in it, but I love the album regardless! Why you ask? Floor's power and finesse overpowers the growling in my opinion. :headbang:

~Brian~

Ah ha! You have arrived at the edge of the slippery slope. You are most certainly doomed.

Shockingly, I think their best overall album is probably their most recent, "Dark Light," even though it doesn't include my favorite songs (go figure). The song "Beyond Redemption" is one of my uptempo favorites from the band.

"Dark Light" is EASILY my favorite HIM album! There's really only 1 track that I skip on that cd so that's a pretty good rate for me. And the video for "Killing Lonliness" is cool as shit and I can't figure out why. It's just...cool.
:headbang:

"Dark Light" is EASILY my favorite HIM album! There's really only 1 track that I skip on that cd so that's a pretty good rate for me.

Which track is it you skip?

I do think that "Dark Light" is their most consistent CD, it's the one I play straight through without skipping around as much.

BTW, have you heard the new song "Dead Lovers' Lane" yet? I have only heard a really bad live audio of it but if it is an indication of the new album, than this might be their best to date. It has a lot of crunch to it (yeah, I know I just said HIM shouldn't be judged for their "heaviness") while retaining a powerful hook. Best of both.

Ah ha! You have arrived at the edge of the slippery slope. You are most certainly doomed.

Brian:

oPeTh...GoDhEaD's LaMeNt...sTiLl LiFe...oPeTh...GoDhEaD's LaMeNt...sTiLl LiFe...oPeTh...GoDhEaD's LaMeNt...sTiLl LiFe...oPeTh...GoDhEaD's LaMeNt...sTiLl LiFe...

Which track is it you skip?

I do think that "Dark Light" is their most consistent CD, it's the one I play straight through without skipping around as much.

BTW, have you heard the new song "Dead Lovers' Lane" yet? I have only heard a really bad live audio of it but if it is an indication of the new album, than this might be their best to date. It has a lot of crunch to it (yeah, I know I just said HIM shouldn't be judged for their "heaviness") while retaining a powerful hook. Best of both.

Ironically, the track I skip is "Dark Light". It just sounds a mess to me in the refrain.

I have not heard the new track yet, but I am setting out to find it right now (that I know it's out there..THANKS!)

Actually, I bought Sombre Romantic not too long ago and it's not clicked with me yet. There's elements of the music that I really enjoy, but with that said, most of it isn't that catchy. If they'd liven it up a bit, then I'd enjoy it more.

~Brian~

Ah yes, Sombre Romantic is an interesting album. It's hte most accessible, so it seems to get most of the attention. They released a self-titled four-track demo that I prefer to Sombre Romantic but unfortunately it's a rare findl It took me a while to get into Virgin Black, now I'd cut off my left arm to see them live :lol:

Well, to me, HIM is just a melodic rock band straight out. Some call them "goth" some "pop". Whatever. Good songs and nice melody.
Agreed!!! I'm still hooked on Razorblade Romance and Love Metal, but Dark Light is starting to steal my attention. This is one of the few bands I would recommend starting with their greatest hits album, Greatest Lovesongs, Vol. 666

Magius said:
Come over to the darkside. It's nice here :D

69 Eyes are absolutely wonderful!! I prefer their "HIM-O Negative" era over their return to "IMA ROCKERR!!" form. As you can see in an unanimous way, Blessed Be and Paris Kills are the finest eyes of these finns. The 69 Eyes hold all of their influences to heart, be it Motley Crue or Type O Negative. If you like the slow but heartfelt gothic metal in the purest finnish form, 69 Eyes are perfect for you!

On the topic of His Infernal Majesty, i mean.. HIM.. HIM layed the ground for the finnish metal world. There is an obvious difference in this world before and after HIM. The 69 Eyes I would not say ripped off HIM but I think their music had a great impact on their existence. HIM found a way to take doom/extreme metal and put it in a romantic and slower, understandable style (sadly said, commercial). I don't think you can compare any album HIM has made to Greatest Love Songs vol. 666, but everything HIM has recorded is true, be it a finnish metal masterpiece or an american pop sensation. Just wait.. (as i do), Venus Doom is set to be HIM's greatest accomplishment to date. They are bored with the droney pop aspect of their band and are ready to show the eager American market was finland REALLY has up their sleeves. I await to hear what HIM has to offer after a refreshing return to form after finland's onslaught of gothic metal "superstars" (Poisonblack? To Seperate The Flesh From The Bones?).. HOORAYYYYYYY FINLAND!