'The ABC's of Size Bias': Someone Please Put a Bullet in This Fat Fucking Wasteland!

:puke: :lol: Totally disagree that a 'gorgeous' person is 'superior' to an 'ugly' one. Goodness, this is interesting to me! Do people really stratify themselves based on how good looking they are? Maybe they do. :lol: Thankfully I myself am a hellishly ugly person, so I must have used :zombie: necromancy:zombie: or a o_O hypnotico_O gaze to woo my ravishing wife-to-be, no?:lol: Perhaps I was one of the few heterosexual English men.

Clearly, its because you have size 20 feet...

Justin - Btw, I agree with your criticisms. I find myself experiencing a terrible and frequent necessity to use inverted commas here, which usually heralds setting out upon dubious grounds!

How true! Understood, my friend.

Clearly, its because you have size 20 feet...

Egads. That brings up genetics again... Through my mother I am a direct descendant of Edward I (the evil 'Longshanks' in the Braveheart film). He was called ‘longshanks’ on account of being tall and having big feet :erk: Enough about me and dubious genetic teleology anyhow.

Is the feet joke an American thing or are you more clever and subtle than I, descendant of Longshanks?

Ahh, it is an American thing I think, but I can guess your meaning. I really do have size 20 feet (well, 18). I must be the exception that proves the rule, or perhaps the correlation here is metric and 18cm is now the rod, pole and definitely perch. But you prick at scars that never felt a wound, and anyway: I'm appalled that you would engage in such crass, systemic thinking! :)

I understand that is your view but I don't really agree. I'm more inclined to think that the modern metalhead's understanding of feminism is that it is "all about denigrating femininity and suggesting that masculine roles are preferable." Which feminist intellectuals are you familiar with? Did you know that Helene Cixous extols women to 'write themselves' and utterly cease to be defined by, or emulate, masculine identities? Have you ever read Mina Loy's 'Feminist Manifesto?' In it she states 'If you honestly desire to find your level without prejudice, be brave and deny that pathetic clap-trap war cry, "woman is the equal of man." I think 'feminism' is all too often vaguely understood and assumed to fall wholly under the egalitarian banner of some of its day-time-tv advocates.

Yes, that is all well and good. But who forms or influences the opinions and attitudes of the overwhelming majority of American women(and men?)about that which defines feminism, Oprah Winfrey? programs like The View...or Mina Loy?
Clearly, what many of us are perhaps colloquially refering to as "feminist" attitudes IS the tv-talk show nonsense that dominates the discourse. That there are feminist writers bucking the trend and offering a more sensible alternative is interesting and encouraging...it is also meaningless to the vast majority of the populace who have no idea who these women are, let alone what they have to say.
Then again, this may just be my own pedestrian "metalhead's" understanding of the whole situation.

Yes, that is all well and good. But who forms or influences the opinions and attitudes of the overwhelming majority of American women(and men?)about that which defines feminism, Oprah Winfrey? programs like The View...or Mina Loy?
Clearly, what many of us are perhaps colloquially refering to as "feminist" attitudes IS the tv-talk show nonsense that dominates the discourse. That there are feminist writers bucking the trend and offering a more sensible alternative is interesting and encouraging...it is also meaningless to the vast majority of the populace who have no idea who these women are, let alone what they have to say.
Then again, this may just be my own pedestrian "metalhead's" understanding of the whole situation.

Exactly. The media for the most part pushes the brand of feminism that I referred to.

I wonder how many descendents the Norman King Longshanks has today?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/12/AR2006081200607_pf.html

He is a fine person to identify with for sure. His greatest achievement was the Edict of Expulsion of 1290.

This dish-washing idea of oppression of women is really a myth as the Viking Feminism article quoted earlier should have clarified. Some cultures oppress their women, and western feminism is not going to have anything beyond a limited and temporary effect on that.

Nile, it's much more common for a man to be less attractive than a woman, because as I said, it is the man who mostly judges by looks and the woman by other criteria. But science has shown that people normally end up with someone who is independently assessed as being about as attractive as they themselves. And women apparantly pick men who look rather like their fathers.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=461583&in_page_id=1879