The Abyss studios guitar sound..

Was it in the same building?

No, as I understood it the building we were in was where Peter started the business. A concrete building that actually used to be a mental institution or something like that. The other one was located right next to it, the red house you see in the picture on the digidesign page. I think that one was built from scratch for that sole purpose.

Studio A and B are in the same building, studio C aswell. Peter has got a Marshall Cab with G75T and Mesa Boogie Cab miced with SM57 and AKG 414 which he blends. Sansamp, 5150 and Rectifier Amps often tightened up with the TC Electronics integrated pre amplifier in front of the Amp. The guys in Soilwork introduced Peter to Krank during a trip to US. The concretebuilding that was a mental institution is empty and has never had any Recording activity insde. It is about 200 meters form the studio building. The people that passed away in the mental institution was "stored" in the studio building. Morgue, you call it ??

Studio A and B are in the same building, studio C aswell. Peter has got a Marshall Cab with G75T and Mesa Boogie Cab miced with SM57 and AKG 414 which he blends. Sansamp, 5150 and Rectifier Amps often tightened up with the TC Electronics integrated pre amplifier in front of the Amp. The guys in Soilwork introduced Peter to Krank during a trip to US. The concretebuilding that was a mental institution is empty and has never had any Recording activity insde. It is about 200 meters form the studio building. The people that passed away in the mental institution was "stored" in the studio building. Morgue, you call it ??

I recorded an album in a concrete building with Tommy in November 2002, and Tommy mentioned that it had been a mental institution. Peter was working in the house next to it (maximum 50m away I'd say) mixing a Marduk album, think it was World Funeral. It was snow outside, I was driving a Mazda 323 where the alarm went off spontaneously now and then, which it also did outside the studio. Our phones had no reception and Morgan of Marduk was very drunk. But maybe I just dreamt it all.

I have no clue about how Abyss looks now though.

Tommys studio is where the bodies where kept (a Brick house). If yo stayed there over night i guess you slept in the same room as the lost souls oooouuhhh. The mental institution is way bigger and several stories high.
Studio A,B,C ar not actuall the exact same building but they are connected and you can access all studios once you got inside.

Tommys studio is where the bodies where kept (a Brick house). If yo stayed there over night i guess you slept in the same room as the lost souls oooouuhhh. The mental institution is way bigger and several stories high.
Studio A,B,C ar not actuall the exact same building but they are connected and you can access all studios once you got inside.

That rings a bell, yes! I slept there as well, but since I am the most boring sceptic in the world I didn't see or hear anything unusual, hehe. It was indeed a brick house as well, I recognize it in Edward's picture. I see it hasn't change one single bit though. Even same sofa and same table...

I don't think the buildings were connected back then though, I know we went outside to get to the fancy one. Well, doesn't matter!

That rings a bell, yes! I slept there as well, but since I am the most boring sceptic in the world I didn't see or hear anything unusual, hehe. It was indeed a brick house as well, I recognize it in Edward's picture. I see it hasn't change one single bit though. Even same sofa and same table...

I don't think the buildings were connected back then though, I know we went outside to get to the fancy one. Well, doesn't matter!

Thats true. You are going outside to go between A and B .. But the buildings are connected..

Peter has for a long time used a SansAmp PSA 1, which is a huge part in his/the abyss tone. He probably doesn't use it by itself alot, he probably blends it in with other amps.

Matheos (Fates Warning) was telling me he's been using a PSA1 on his last couple of recordings (layered with his Mesa MKIV). While he dials it in a bit different than I would I can say that is still tracks pretty well.