The 'Album 2' Thread

Looking forward to some more updates! Hint hint.

Liked your first video update! Looks like you guys have made a ton of upgrades.. Pro Tools HD being the big obvious one. I just made the upgrade from a digi 003 to an RME fireface 800..

If it's not too much to ask it would be cool to get a run down on what preamps you're using for the drum recordings/guitar amps/ mic choices etc.. I know i'm a huge nerd but i like that stuff..

Take care guys

Noted! This doesn't answer any questions, but here is a video. We can do that stuff though no problem.

I spent so much time trying to find a tag to embed that video. I just had to paste the url.

Last edited by a moderator:
haha, i'm terrible at that stuff too.. Killer riff, great tone on both the guitars and drums.. Will be nice to hear on something other than a camera mic.

Thank you, sir! Just so you know, Taylor and I will be creating some more in-depth studio videos that go into the more "nerdy" aspects of recording (we love that stuff too!). When we get the first one done, we'll be posting that... probably on its own thread. I hope to get it done in a week or two.

By the way, the preamps we're using are 2x Focusrite ISA 828 8 channel pres. 14 of the channels are for the drums, 2 for the scratch tracks of the band. We'd like to have had a few different kinds at our disposal, but they're the most cost effective ones we could find with the specs we wanted. I think we got really good results!

I've read great things about the ISA preamps.. You're right there is no way you would be able to get 16 really quality preamps like the ISA's for under 10 grand..

Right now on my wish list is a Slate Fox dual preamp.. That thing looks killer.

Looking forward to the video!

Update:

Progress on the new album is happening at a pleasing rate. We have about 4-5 songs nearing completion, and we are coming close to developing one more song. Everything is sounding absolutely huge and mixing hasn't even begun yet.

We haven't posted a studio diary in a while, more to come soon!

To quote someone who caught some of the new material live: "It's like they found a set of balls!"

This speaks primarily to the aggression in the heavy material. It's aggressive. But that is not to say we've just gone heavy. We just do heavy better. But I think the atmospheres in the cleaner sections are where the most improvement has occurred from Birthright to now- and I'm still awfully happy with Birthright. I can't wait to get this album done. Recovering from a cold now, so the booth is waiting patiently for me.

Thanks for the update guys!
The fact that you say things are sounding massive without any type of mixing happening yet has me very excited.

anytime man, send me a text sometime when you know you will be in the studio.. I can bring some microphone goodies for you guys to test out..

So, we have made quite a bit of progress on the album. We have about 4 songs or so close to completion, and this past Saturday Scott laid down some sweet sweet vocals for War with the Sky.

Right now, Mitchell is recording his guitar tracks, and Wyatt just has a few things to finish up on his end.

Things are coming along! Stay tuned for more.

Wyatt laid down some sweet sweet guitar last night after we jammed. It was for the song "A Good Fight". Also, Mitchell and Taylor invested in a couple good power conditioners because we were getting bad noise through the amp when trying to record clean guitar tone. This fixed the problem and we should be able to get a good clean tone and lay down the rest of those guitar parts very soon.

Stay tuned for more. Same Silent Lapse time, same Silent Lapse channel!

Mitchell, I was thinking about your issues regarding clean guitar. What kind of tone are you going for? The crystal clean "petrucci ish kind of tone" like the intro to pull me under, or more of a fender clean sound that has a little beef to it?

Depending on which you are going for I have a couple guitars that may be able to get you closer to the sound you are going for.

Also, (i'm sure you probably do this already) but for arpeggiated clean parts it's cool to double everything up with an acoustic.