The 'Album 2' Thread

Wrapped up my second studio session in three days. Thursday we dialed back a touch for a slightly more controlled approach. The results were a clearer sound without really sacrificing any punch. So of course today, we ended up re-doing a lot of things that I had done a couple weekends ago. You might be surprised how much that doesn't bother me.

Due to scheduling conflicts, we weren't able to do what we planned on doing last night. But don't worry, it will happen and when it does, I'll be sure to let you all know.

Anyway, I got some bass laid down and wrote my parts the the new song we are working on "Desert of Godlessness".

Also, Mitchell finished some clean guitar parts in "A Good Fight".

Nick, the amp/mics are working great! I used them for recording the 7-string clean parts of A Good Fight and it sings in comparison to what we were getting through the Marshall. Those mics really catch the bottom-end and make it sound nice!

How about some vocal recording details?

We're doing vocals with the Mojave Audio MA-200. It's done well so far on the more aggressive vocals on " War With the Sky," but I think the main reason we're so excited about it is the way handled the cleaner, airy vocals when we demoed "A Good Fight" a while back. It's running through a Focusrite pre and the Universal Audio 1176 compressor, I believe.

A couple things that are a lot nicer for me this go-round. The most important one is my cue mix, which is much better. Last time I had a tendency to sing flat, which I'm told is a common symptom of not having a good mix, which we didn't, relatively speaking. That hasn't been a problem. I've been sharp sometimes, particularly when I slip into over-singing, but very rarely flat. It also helps immensely to have a spacious both, where I don't feel like R. Kelly trapped in the closet. Last is my vocal maintenance stuff. I have a fairly chronic congestion that I have to deal with when recording. Last time it was strong mint gum chewed intermittently, green tea, and "anti-lisp water." I only learned about my lisp when I heard my voice recorded tracking the very first SL demo. It was diminished by Birthright, and at this point it's essentially gone. But anyway, the gum cleared my sinuses, but would leave my mouth a little sticky, the tea was for soothing the voice, and the water seemed to help with the lisp. Now, I kill all the birds with one peppermint tea stone. It's my magic bullet for vocal recording. There are a lot fewer things to worry about now, and the result is much more natural vocal takes. It's nice.

Well, that felt good. Burned through the rest of No Home and most importantly the verses of A Good Fight, which was the portion of recording I dreaded most.

The other good news is they bought a Royer and the guitar sounds amazing. The bad news is there's no existing DI track...

You guys must be busy since the last entry is 2 weeks back! Have been on UM for a while in the Theocracy section, but didn't know you guys were here as well!! Just found out about you guys a couple of days ago and haven't stopped listening Birthright since! (Sry, don't want to sound pathetic ;) )
Really liking the album and can't wait to hear some tunes from #2!

Also, make sure to check out a couple of the stickies. We have the video for the Wake, a full concert, and the Birthright Revealed thread, where Mitchell is outlining his original interpretation of Birthright as a narrative. So check all that stuff out.

Mixing is going on with War with the Sky. It's coming along. We were messing with drum tone and reverb the other night to liven the mix up. We have a better idea of what we need to do the make this song sound as big as it does live.

Stay tuned!