The Annual Best of the Year Thread - 2013

Ironically I think it's the other way. Early albums up to and including that one, then after... meh.

RE PT: I think it's good news. Their last few albums have not been great.

Their last 4 albums are my favourite 4, moving in backward order... so this adds to the sting for me.

I just LOVE the 55 minute The Incident to pieces.

That being said... a band ending when they're at the top of their game is also respectable. It'll avoid them becoming like the new Simpsons :S

Their last 4 albums are my favourite 4, moving in backward order... so this adds to the sting for me.

I just LOVE the 55 minute The Incident to pieces.

That being said... a band ending when they're at the top of their game is also respectable. It'll avoid them becoming like the new Simpsons :S

In Absentia was great. Deadwing was great. after that, hit and miss with me. It kind of felt like the music was blurred with his solo stuff and lacking some of the punch. I can see why he decided to give it a rest. They were awesome though.

In Absentia was great. Deadwing was great. after that, hit and miss with me. It kind of felt like the music was blurred with his solo stuff and lacking some of the punch. I can see why he decided to give it a rest. They were awesome though.

I can respect this opinion.

I'm glad that Frost* is back, though!
I hope their next album isn't like their second...that was a huge flop for me.

Haken - The Mountain
Scale the Summit - The Migration
Protest the Hero - Volition

Still working my way through some of the albums others have listed here with varying results. Great to have all these recommendations to check out!

Haken definitely made my top list after listening to that.

Infestissumam didn't really work too well for me after a couple tracks and I didn't even get through the whole thing.

Pelagial was just a draining album and didn't seem very inspired to me. Most metal gets me pumped up but this one just seemed to make me tired. They also kind of sound like a wannabe Opeth at times.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find Vallendusk anywhere. Will probably just have to youtube it.

Omnium Gatherum: Beyond (there are a few stand out tracks, but the rest just doesn't stand up)

I dunno--the first and second songs are maybe the best album opener I've ever heard. "Luoto" just defines epic metal for me. Like I told my wife, it's like they're playing on the edge of a fjord out to the ocean in a most epically triumphant metal fashion. Listen to it with a nice pair of headphones, it's just ridiculous:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w38Bb61ntFY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

"The Unknowing" is also incredible:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsjHvaU5Aik&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There are a couple of songs that are a little meh, but I love this CD. Never heard of them before Christmas, just stumbled across the first video I linked above late at night with headphones, and ease simply blown away. Swano's production is stunning and flawless. Great guitar sounds and masterful layering of the clean vocals especially. Jeez, I gotta go listen to the album again.

Dragontömb;10791075 said:
I dunno--the first and second songs are maybe the best album opener I've ever heard. "Luoto" just defines epic metal for me. Like I told my wife, it's like they're playing on the edge of a fjord out to the ocean in a most epically triumphant metal fashion. Listen to it with a nice pair of headphones, it's just ridiculous:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w38Bb61ntFY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

"The Unknowing" is also incredible:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsjHvaU5Aik&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There are a couple of songs that are a little meh, but I love this CD. Never heard of them before Christmas, just stumbled across the first video I linked above late at night with headphones, and ease simply blown away. Swano's production is stunning and flawless. Great guitar sounds and masterful layering of the clean vocals especially. Jeez, I gotta go listen to the album again.

Well, those are the few stand out tracks on the album. The ballad is ok, and I usually skip the rest. I just think the previous 2 albums from them were better.

Best album of 2013: Fueled by Fire - Trapped in Perdition

Runners up:
Voivod
Anciients
Blood Tsunami
Arsis
Lost Society
Black Sabbath
Hatchet
Havok
Evile
Accuser
Black Fast
Power Trip
Skeletonwitch
Warbringer
Toxic Holocaust
Dream Death
Ranger
Windhand
The Ocean

stumbled on this the other day

apparently it was released right at the beginning of 2013. it's not too bad i think

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah the forum feels pretty dead. I check it pretty frequently and I post when I've got some new recommendations to share.
I think the SX boards is actually one of the more active in terms of people viewing, which is surprising.
it comes in bursts tho, sometime there are even more than one unread topic :p

I've been a pretty old SYX forumer, but I recessed multiple times, and forgot my nick or password, and joined with new ones. This forum was graet 8 years ago or so.