The atmosphere of "Follower"

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Guys, does anyone else think that that the atmosphere of "Followers" is absolutely awe-inspiring? I'm particularly talking about the subtle guitar theme that swells, creating a dream-like aura that is unmatched and unparalleled. Kudos to Anders for coming up with that lick.

Anyone else know what I'm saying?

NP: Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance

Fuck yes! This is a song where all the band members shine very well. I especially like the drums. Very proggressive. And much like every Katatonia song you have a certain mood and it just takes you places. Very beautiful.

i was thinking about creating a thread about this song, fucking monumental arrangements, it is a compact dark prog song, now it is my favourite off tgcd... awesome basslines, and i get a really strong dark movie soundtrack vibe from it, like it could be played in the background of movies like seven, twelve monkeys, fightclub, i don't know why exactly...maybe because of the urban nature of the song.

i aint play this said:
awesome basslines
Hell yeah - the bass is godly. I actually believe it all was written around the bass on this song. The arrangement is huge. And that small yet effective guitar theme is probably the most beautiful thing on the album. So cool. Glad you guys picked up on it too.

NP: Images of Eden - Sunlight of the Spirit

And the coolest thing is that it is anders fave kata song!! just read it in the member profiles on the website!! i hope they play this awesome song live..

Yup, i love those subtle guitar layers or whatever one should call them. They didn't use them before VE, right? I consider Follower a follower:)lol: ) to Sleeper. It has the same vibe, i think.

Yeah, Follower was my second favorite song off TGCD after my first couple listen-throughs. It really does consume you.

Anyone notice that the spacey,hypnotic,quiet, background guitar at the 1:30 mark (after the chorus) and again at the 3:20 break sounds similar to the theme music in the 80's movie Starman? I've often thought that Anders may have been inspired by it.

madu said:
What really bothers me about Follower is 'stupidity have shut my mouth' :(

he never conjugates the verb in the third person (not only in this case)
ha ha maybe it´s done on purpose or it´s just Swenglish, since in Swedish all the persons have the same form...
Many English speaking lyricists/writers write often things like "she dont´" etc..sometimes it is done on purpose, just to report the spoken/uncorrect language...

About "follower", after a few listenings I think this is my second favourite of all the album! Love the song structure, the bass, the vocals...everything amazing!

That is a relatively okay "mistake". Saying things like "he go" or "she don't listen" is common mostly in American English.

But one mistake the Scandinavians (mostly Danes and Swedes) make can be quite annoying. When they mix up the correct verb form with plural agents. Things like:

"Empty rooms surrounds me now..." - things like that sound pretty dumb. Personally I never picked up on the error in "Follower" till you pointed it out...