The Attic Ballroom - Waunakee, WI (11/04/00)

H

Hilda

Hi!!!
I just woke up after I got back from Saxon's gig last night at Waunakee (Wisconsin), and I must say, I left VERY satisfied and happy!

I had a bad start. I was supposed to go with Dave (a friend of mine from the Iron Maiden BB), but either he didn't receive my mail to find my house and phone #, or he just couldn't make it to the gig at all. I was sad for that.

I was also VERY tired and worn out since I had to work from 8 a.m to 4 p.m. and barely had time to take a shower and get dressed. After that I checked the board and my mail, but still, no Dave. I was getting desperate at that point.

Oh well... I asked my dad to take me to the gig, but of course, he refused and made up the lamest excuses, as always. It sucks when you don't have your own car. My younger brother couldn't take me either 'cos he was somewhere with my older brother. I was really nervous because I didn't want to be late. Anyway, my dad said he would take me, but only if he picked me up at 10:00 p.m. (HAHAHA, yeah SURE!) so I said "no", and to make it short, we ended up having a big argument and I cursing at him.

I called all the cabs in Madison, and finally got on the taxi on my way to Waunakee. I was at the venue eve before 7:00 p.m. Man, was that place deserted!! Nobody! Just the tour buses at the side.
I was freezing cold as well... The doors wouldn't open until 8:00 p.m. but I waited patiently. After 45 minutes, more people came, and I was the only girl there.

Finally we got in, and surprisingly enough, I wasn't carded or anything. Moreover, the person at the doors put a strip of paper that said: "Legal Drinking Age" on my wrist (LOL!), even though I told him I wouldn't drink, but he said "It doesn't matter, you HAVE TO HAVE IT!". Hehehe.

Inside, the place was pretty much decent. Not that big, but very spacious. The stage was nicely set up in front, and the bar, along with the merchandise stand, were on the opposite side. Definitely not a "hole in the wall" and much classier than other venues I've been to.

I waited to see if Dave maybe was coming, but I saw no one.
Some dude even wanted to invite me a drink, but I refused.

Anyway, at 8:30 the opening band came in, and it was a decent performance. At 9:30 UDO came in and the place started to get more and more crowded. I was in front center row and we all had a good time banging our heads. I liked specially "Fast as a Shark" as the closing song (Nice encore, haha!). The only bad thing about their set was that the sound for the microphone was @#%$ed up!! I could barely hear him, even though I was in front! Apart from that, I got some cool pictures as well. A very fine guitar job, must I add! During their setlist, the drummer Lorenzo looked at me threw his drumstick to me, but the dude beside me caught it. It didn't matter, because after a while, he threw the other drumstick to me again and this time I caught it, eheh.
I met some cool people among the fans, and most of them treated me with respect and care, though not everyone. At the end, some stupid idiot was trying to talk to me with a lame chat-up line and put his arm on my shoulder. I yelled a bit like Homer Simpson (AAAH!) and he took it away, heh.

After UDO ended their set, Saxon came in a little bit later than planned (about 11:20 or so). Biff appeared and the crowd went nuts! I was front center row again. I guess there were about 350 metalheads over there in front and some in the bar. The opening song was precisely that, "Metalhead". There were some papers with the setlist on them, but they were highly inaccurate, because the band played just what they felt like playing that night.

I banged my head back and forth during their whole 2-hour set. And I had all the reasons to do so!!! Music was FAAAAST and energetic! Biff did an excellent job with the vocals, except "Travellers in Time" (but you need at least two ppl singing for that one, so I don't blame him) but the rest was absolutely MARVELLOUS! Definitely one of the best shows I've been to.

It was all damn funny, because I was looking often at Doug Scarrat and he was nodding all the time as I was banging my head. I also got to play with Biff's hair a number of times when he lowered his head in front of the mic. Got nice pictures too!

The only bad thing was that the same @#%$ before was beside the guy right next to me and was putting his hand behind him and then on my hair lowering it to my butt, and some other idiots too. Even though it was the best behaved crowd I've been with, there are always idiots.

Anyway, Biff and the guys rocked. Fritz did a great drum solo prior to the encore.

Highlights included (not in order):

Metalhead
20,000 Ft
Dogs of War
Dallas 1 P.M (played at 1 A.M, hehe)
The Eagle Has Landed
Wheels of Steel
Crusader
Song of Evil
Princess of the Night
CONQUISTADOR (I went nuts with this one)
Denim & Leather (Read above)

and manymanymany more!

I wish I could have heard "747" and "And the Bands Played On" but at least I got to hear many other wonderful tunes and my fave two "Conquistador" and "Denim & Leather".

At the end, Doug gave me his pick in my hand and they thanked the audience and left.

I had a blast!

Well, afterwards... I had to find to get home safely... Wouldn't I be surprised when I saw my dad outside waiting for me... DAMN!

I guess he was cool after all... I got in the car and he talked to me as if nothing had happened. We were leaving when I started sighing... He asked me if I needed to pick someone or something, and I said I had brought a card for a friend of mine in Brazil to get signed. He ACTUALLY TURNED BACK and parked by the tour bus! That was @#%$ing cool from him and I have to thank him for that!

After some 15 minutes or so, a guy opened the door of the bus and 3 of us were allowed in, me being one of the first 3.

I got in, and there were the guys, in front, all sitting and relaxed.

Biff recognized me ("You were the chick in front, huh?") and then I handed him out the card and the other stuff I had to get signed.
Paul, Fritz, Nibbs, and Doug were next, and they all were chatting and having a good time. I took my camera out and got shots from all of the guys in the bus. I wanted to have a shot with Biff, and then told him that my pic would turn @#%$ing fat and ugly, but he then asked:

- "You are WHAT?"
- "I'm fat!"
- (laughs) "You are not fat!"

Then Paul pointed at his belly and said: "There, THIS is fat."

I was trying hard not to laugh my ass off!

Anyway, Biff wanted to take a picture with me too, so I sat by him, and I was asking a fellow to take the shot, but Doug offered himself, with Biff adding: "Let him do it, he's all digital." (LOL!)

The guys were still signing some stuff when the man who opened the door said to me: "This is not a Playboy photo session, hurry up!"

To what Biff replied: "She can stay if she wants to." That was very nice from him. This guy rocks!

I was trying to hurry Doug too but he said the same, that I could stay, so I spent a little while more with the guys.

So I sat by Doug, and this time Biff took the shot! Then, he took a second shot, by his own words: "Now another one, in a 'more compromising pose.'" LOL

I thanked Biff for playing D&L, and he said: "Well, we had to, since you were asking for it so often."

When they asked me if I was Brazilian, I replied I was from Peru, and then had the opportunity to tell Biff: BTW Biff, it's 'ConKIStador', not 'ConQUIStador'...

He just said: "Well... from where we come from, it's 'ConQUIStador'." I said: "Hey, I'm from Peru, I'm a descendant of the Incas, so I know!" :p

He laughed, but still, he was repeating to himself, "Conkistador, conkistador..." Funny as hell!

I had a great time with them and thanked them for everything. I then said I had to go and with a "See ya later, babe!" from Biff, I left and went back to the car.

Hehehe, well, I'm sorry it took so much to read this, but I'm VERY grateful to everyone, Saxon ROCKS!

Oh, and thanx to my dad too.

Here are the pix! Well, at least some of them.

Udo and his big head (hehehe):

www.truemetal.org/keeper/...ighead.jpg www.truemetal.org/keeper/saxon/udo.jpg www.truemetal.org/keeper/saxon/igor.jpg

Saxon!

www.truemetal.org/keeper/saxon/biff.jpg www.truemetal.org/keeper/...ffcool.jpg www.truemetal.org/keeper/saxon/paul.jpg www.truemetal.org/keeper/saxon/doug.jpg www.truemetal.org/keeper/saxon/doug2.jpg

At the tour bus!

The shots I took:

www.truemetal.org/keeper/...dnibbs.jpg www.truemetal.org/keeper/...elaxed.jpg www.truemetal.org/keeper/...zsmile.jpg www.truemetal.org/keeper/...douggy.jpg

The one Doug took of Biff and I (UGGHH!! I look so bad) :

www.truemetal.org/keeper/...ffandI.jpg

The one Biff took of Doug and I (ARGHHHH, this has to be the worst one! GRRR ). You can see his finger below too, hhehehe:

www.truemetal.org/keeper/...ugandI.jpg

Doug and I after Biff said "Another in a 'more compromising' pose" (LOL!)

www.truemetal.org/keeper/...andIcp.jpg

Well, hope you like the pix! (Yuck!)

Great review Hilda. I really enjoyed reading it. The pics were really cool too. Think you could email me a couple of them. I was at the show in Virginia and got on the bus afterwards. I only wish I would have brought my camera. SAXON rocks !!!!

Vic
" I Can't Stop Rockin"

Hey man! Thanks for reading it (I know it's very long) and I really appreciate! :)

What else can I say? I look forward to see them next year too. So far they are the most down-to-earth musicians I've ever met and very nice! I loved the show and hanging around in the tour bus too.

As for the pics, you can take anyone you want (except if you wanna post them in a website). I have some more, but not as good as these.

HILDA:l I WAS THE ONE WHO OFFERED TO BUY YOU A DRINK! I AM IN TOTAL AGREEMENT THAT SAXON AND U.D.O. ROCKED THE HOUSE. MY PARTNERS IN CRIME AND I HAD BIFF AND DOUG OUT DRIVING AROUND THE COUNTRYSIDE LOOKING FOR THIS RECORD SHOP THAT RICK, THE OWNER OF THE ATTIC WANTED US TO TAKE THEM TOO. IT IS THE PITS FOR A PRETTY YOUNG LADY, LIKE YOURSELF CAN'T ENJOY THE MUSIC WITHOUT SOME @#%$S TRYING TO COP A FEEL WHILE YOUR HEADBANGING. HOPE TO SEE YOU AGAIN
AT THE ATTIC BALLROOM, MAYBE NEXT TIME YOU'LL HAVE A DRINK WITH US? WE ALSO WERE THE ONES WHO GAVE BIFF THE BYFORD FOR PRESIDENT 2000 T-SHIRT IN CHICAGO AT THE HOUSE OF BLUES, WE HAD
THESE T-SHIRTS PROFESSIONALLY MADE AND ONLY (3) THREE WERE MADE. REGARDLESS THE CROWD WENT CRAZY DURING "THE THIN RED LINE", IT WAS AWESOME!

METALMAN42

Hey, Metalman!

Great show, wasn't it? :)
Your friend (right beside me) told me about your endeavors with the band too! He told me you got them lost while trying to get to Madison! (LOL)

I agree with you about that idiot. It ALWAYS happens. There's no gig I've been to without an idiot spoiling the fun...

Anyway, I'm not much of a drinker, but perhaps next time I'd take a soda. (LOL #2) :p

Glad to hear you had fun in Chicago as well.
I really hope to see them next year if they are coming! :)

Thanks to all for the reviews and excellant pictures of the WI show!! I wish I was there! It sounds like days of old, hanging with the band and having a great time. Thanks again for bringing back some old memories!

Merry Christmas everyone,
This is the Tour Manager for Saxon, North America 2000.
Thanx to every Metalhead that came to see Saxon this year in the States and Mexico. You are the ones that make it worth the efort to put on a show like this. You guys travel farther than anybody I know to see a Saxon show. I have been touring for over twenty years and you guys still amaze me. Keep on Banging and let Saxon know you want them back next year. Have a Rockin Holiday and a TWISTED NEW YEAR,
Best Wishes,
Twister-

Hey, how you all doing. This is Scott from The Attic Ballroom. Not good with names we had so much happening that day, but i'm glad you all enjoyed yourself. Rick, myself , Dan, and John, had a great time getting ready anfd set up, for the show, Bernie(dan) and myself spent a good deal of the day cooking the food, stocking up, etc.. By THE WAY THAT WAS udo's 2ND time here with us, so it was indeed an honor to have him back again, Saxon , their road manager alll the bands and crew were corgial, funny and just fun to hang with throughuout the day, Personally i want to thank Biff , Nibbs, for the good times after, and especially to Biff, for his understanding with me on the meals serverd.
You are the Best.
To the road manager for the great compliments and hope you enjoyed all the food i packed for ya . It was a privelage and a pleasure to have all of you at the attic, keep in touch, and come back again, you have our number
Scott R (THE ATTIC BALLROOM)

Hilda, scott from the attic ballroom, i have something from the show for you if you would like it. e-mail me and i'll get it out to you. won't be disapointed.
thanks for the revue also

Better ;ate than never on this board, huh? :)

I agree with all of you! Great review Hilda...

Even though I have been a fan of Saxon since Denim and Leather came out in the early 80s, that was my first time I had the priviledge of seeing Saxon (I hope it is not my last) live...

A small crowd, but very enthusiastic and Biff and the boys put on a A+ performance! :) I was thrilled to hear the band play THE THIN RED LINE...an instant classic!

I am very much looking forward to hearing the new cd and I hope that Saxon can make it to the USA next Spring!

DEFEND THE FAITH