the band i'm mixing

the Überschall has much more gain.. the Shiva is a much more classic rock tone, but with a bit of Tube Screamer it worked will for the layer parts which were overdubbed on top of the 4 rectifier tracks.

Hey James,

well, I listened to your previous mix and these new mixes...and I wanted to comment on your previous mixes but didn't have time (that damn work thing keeps getting in the way!!)

however, I have listened to both sets of mixes...and I do like the second mix better. What I noticed from the first to the second mix (atleast from what I remember of the first) is the second mix is a bit easier to listen to. (I think there was maybe too much high end on the kick or something? ..and I remember thinking that this could become annoying after 3-4 songs into an album...)

The new mix doesn't have that problem though. Sounds really good..

so - as far as fixing stuff, what exactly did you do?

...I would actually kind of prefer a snare that maybe cut through the mix a little more, (it sounds kind of muted), but it does have a districtive quality to it..which is cool! :headbang:

And lastly, I think maybe the hi-hat and overheads could be a little bit louder. Sometimes, I find myself trying to really listen for them to hear them.

Guitar levels and clarity are awesome...

I look forward to picking up the album sometime in the future...

daemon097 said:
Hey James,

well, I listened to your previous mix and these new mixes...and I wanted to comment on your previous mixes but didn't have time (that damn work thing keeps getting in the way!!)

however, I have listened to both sets of mixes...and I do like the second mix better. What I noticed from the first to the second mix (atleast from what I remember of the first) is the second mix is a bit easier to listen to. (I think there was maybe too much high end on the kick or something? ..and I remember thinking that this could become annoying after 3-4 songs into an album...)

The new mix doesn't have that problem though. Sounds really good..

so - as far as fixing stuff, what exactly did you do?

...I would actually kind of prefer a snare that maybe cut through the mix a little more, (it sounds kind of muted), but it does have a districtive quality to it..which is cool! :headbang:

And lastly, I think maybe the hi-hat and overheads could be a little bit louder. Sometimes, I find myself trying to really listen for them to hear them.

Guitar levels and clarity are awesome...

I look forward to picking up the album sometime in the future...
i added a touch more low and low mid to the kicks and a bit more low mid to the snare. ... as far as cymbals go.. i didn't record those.. except for 2 tracks of the 10 songs album and those under less than optimal conditions... so i've kept them lower as i didn't quite have the seperation i would have liked... i thnk i found a good compromise as far as level goes. thanks for listening and posting.. \m/

James,

Like everyone else has basically said so far it sounds killer. Really cool tunes also!

One question I have is, or two should I say is. Did you gate the drum kit? If so how much? And What kind of reverbs did you use on the drum kit?

Grave Desire said:
James,

Like everyone else has basically said so far it sounds killer. Really cool tunes also!

One question I have is, or two should I say is. Did you gate the drum kit? If so how much? And What kind of reverbs did you use on the drum kit?
Thanks... the toms have some gating... 900ms or so for the gate to close gradually.. plenty of time for the decay. for reverbs i used either Rverb or TrueVerb.. can't remember.

hey James, just watched that Death Metal: A Documentary DVD. Good to see you got a few seconds of screen time. Why Peter Steele is in it so much (as much as I love Type O) really confuses me.