the BEST DEBUT and the WORST SECOND ALBUM...

Death Cube K said:
King Crimsons first album, In The Court of the Crimson King was great. Their second, however... In the Wake of Posieden... just wasnt as good.
Yes, but I wouldn't consider it bad!

Life of Agony - River Runs Red (awesome)
Life of Agony - Ugly (shitty)

Possesed-Seven Churches
i dont even remember the second album's title, but i do remember that it didnt even touch the first one's quality.
also
Witchfinder General-Death Penalty = killer one
their second "Friends Of Hell" not that good at all

Sure, I'll give you a few from the old days:

SWORD--Metalized (incredible debut basic HM)
SWORD--Sweet Dreams (whaaa hahpund?)

ICON--S/T (nice sleazy hair metal, good grooves)
ICON--Right Between the Eyes (fuck, they went right for the radio. Morons)

APOCRYPHA--The Forgotten Scroll (incredible techo/thrash/melodic debut. Production questionable but the songs were insane)
APOCRYPHA--Whatever the fuck it's called. (Only one good song, and it was at the end of the CD. The rest was drab n' dull)

NECROPHOBIC--The Nocturnal Silence (death metal extraordinare debut)
NECROPHOBIC--Darkside (I know lots of you like Black Metal and I do too--but GOD this sucked compared to NS)

--S

The only ones I can really think of is "Appetite for destruction" and "GN'R Lies" by Guns N' Roses. "Appetite..." is superb!! "Lies" isn't exactly bad or anything, but simply not as good as "Appetite" or the two "Illusion"s.
The only other one I can come up with is Machine Head. "Burn..." is also superb IMO, but "The more..." was just a record I never really went out and bought, although the stuff I heard from it was okay I guess. Maybe it was just too similar in a way. :confused:

I would recommend buying The More Things Change by Machinehead, in my opinion it is Machinehead's finest hour. I bought it when it first came out and it took me over 5 years to realize the brilliance of the album, until that point I had always liked Burn My Eyes the best. Blood of the Zodiac is simply amazing.

Another:
Pearl Jam - Ten :headbang:
Pearl Jam - self-titled :zombie:

I enjoy the second one some years later, but it is nowhere near as good as Ten.

NAD said:
Life of Agony - River Runs Red (awesome)
Life of Agony - Ugly (shitty)

I liked 'Ugly'. Sure, it wasn't hardcore anymore, but it was still good. LOA's third album was the shitty one.

My picks:

Cruachan- Tuatha Na Gael (the epitome of folk black metal)
Cruachan- The Middle Kingdom (happy folky gayness)

Golden Dawn- The Art of Dreaming (cult debut)
Golden Dawn- Masquerade (something bad happened in the 7 years between releases)

The Haunted- The Haunted (a ferocious, rip-yer-face-off debut)
The Haunted- ...Made Me Do It (a slap on the wrist)

I'm going to ride along with NAD on the Life of Agony thing. I loved River Runs Red but I can't stand Ugly. Such a severe departure. I'd like to also cast a vote for Static-X. The first one was great, the second monotonous, forced, and boring. I know this is mainly "mainstream" stuff but I like all my other shit...

Mr. Bungle-Self titled (Great)
Mr. Bungle-Disco Volante (Dull)

Ween-God Ween Satan (Tasty)
Ween-The Pod (Boooooring)

Immolation-Dawn of Possession (Yes)
Immolation-Here in After (No)

Acid Bath- When The Kite String Pops( :headbang: )
Acid Bath- Paegan Terrorism Tactics ( :zzz: )

Lock Up- Pleasures Pave Sewers ( :headbang: )
Lock Up- Hate Breeds Suffering ( :) ) still kicked ass, but not as much as the first one.

S.O.D.- Speak English Or Die
S.O.D.- Bigger Than The Devil (again, I still like it, but the bad production kinda watered it down)

Just for the record most Mr. Bungle fans think Disco Volante is their best, including myself.

Static-X: Wisconsin Death Trip (rocked)
Static-X: Machine (sucked)

Sevendust-S/T (rocked)
Sevendust-Home (sucked)