The best drummers ever

sirclansman

Man in Black Parade
Dec 22, 2008
Hankasalmi Rock City, Finland
I'm a drummer myself, so it's time to put up a thread about the best skinbeaters ever. Here's my personal top10:

- Phil Collins: A left-handed genious with a great
voice.

- Eric Singer: Great touch and flow of playing. Most stylish playing I've ver seen.

- Nicko McBrain: Iron Maiden is a religion to me, and Nicko is one of the reasons for that. Makes art of playing ride-symbal.

- Mike Portnoy: Well. what can you say. Technic and style above all. Have met him once. Great drummer, mysterious person, after all.

- Tommy Aldridge
- Roger Taylor
- Vinny Appice
- Jörg Michael
- Bobby Jarzombeck
- Twist Twist Erkinharju

YYYAAAYYY!!!!

Top 15:

Mike Portnoy (All time favourite drummer)
Sebastian Lanser
Phil Collins
Martin Lopez
Marco Minnemann
Gavin Harrison
Virgil Donati
Tomas Haake
Simon Phillips
Blake Richardson
Bill Bruford
Dennis Chambers
Benny Greb
Vinnie Colaiuta
Martin Axenrot

Hmm Lenny White is quite an awesome drummer. Jazz drummers usually have great technique and can make a small drum-kit, with only a bas-drum, hi-hat, ride and a snare sound like a drum kit of Mike Portnoys proportions.

Here is a video of Lenny White playing drums with the Jazz/Fusion group "Return to forever"

And a quick off topic question: Is it only me who thinks that if you add some distortion and made the music "harder" these guys would be playing progressive Metal?./watch?v=DiN8M2ul_9w

Last edited by a moderator:
Luke, Lenny White is a very nice drummer... I love this guy -> Will Kennedy from Yellowjackets

I made a drum video with this beat too (sorry about this self-promotion)

And you are right, nowadays, we can see this kind of things

Nicko McBrain: Iron Maiden is a religion to me, and Nicko is one of the reasons for that. Makes art of playing ride-symbal.

I love Nicko. The fact that he is a metal drummer and can still keep things heavy and interesting without a double bass pedal is amazing. If I recall, he's only used one a few times (e.g. Ghost of the Navigator); not sure why, but more power to him!

I think Jason Rullo is pretty underrated.

My favorite drummer by far, and the only one in prog metal I know who can make riffs in odd time signatures groove like none other! Watching him play is a treat; he's a smaller guy and he plays a large kit, so it's as if he's floating as he plays some of those insane fills. He's incredibly underrated...

I love Nicko. The fact that he is a metal drummer and can still keep things heavy and interesting without a double bass pedal is amazing. If I recall, he's only used one a few times (e.g. Ghost of the Navigator); not sure why, but more power to him!

Thats mentionable also. Thou as far as I know, Nicko used double-bass pedal first time on Dance Of Death -album (was it Face in the Sand or Age of Innocence, I cant remember). But songs like Wickerman or Where Eagles Dare, played with one basspedal only...I must say its pretty challenging. :)

Neil Peart of Rush, I looooooove him;

Plus he's a great lyricist too!

Mark Zonder of Fates Warning, not sure if he's with'em still though.

Dave Weckl (jazz-wohoo, check out his Hard Wired-album)

Gene Hoglan (Death, Mechanism, + + ++ +)

Hellhammer, aka Jan Axel Blomberg (Mayhem, Jørn Lande (on Worldchanger) and several other projects).

- The end - (no that's just my ending of this post, not another drummer)

I'm a big fan of John Macaluso, total badass:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9zFICL-Lng"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9zFICL-Lng[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13-icIa0Z8g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13-icIa0Z8g[/ame]

Excluding Johnny of course, whose style i really love, there is only one:

I consider Yoshiki the greatest musician who has ever lived, no question. X Japan are incredible, but it's only because Yoshiki is such a beautiful songwriter / drummer / pianist.

I'm a drummer myself and I say:

Tomas Haake
Morgan Ågren
Mike Portnoy
Johnny of course!
Sean Reinert back in 1991 with Death
Jojo Mayer
and many more..

Lets not forget the former holder of the fastest drummer title, Mike Mangini. Perhaps not the world's greatest drummer, but easily makes it within a list of top 5.

He not only held the record for the fastest BPM via STICK hits (over 1100) but also had the most foot hits within a 5 minute period. Anyways, he is very much worth checking out and unless you are from Boston or a fan of later era Extreme, you've probably never heard of him. He is 1 of 7 to try out and replace Mike Portnoy. Eddie Trunk had said he was the replacement for Portnoy but eventually redactited that with a more watered down statement essentially making it sound that any 1 of the 7 could have the position.