the best of Atheist?

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
I know they dont have many releases, but what would you say is Atheist's best album? They all seem to have good reviews, but which would you recommend most?

Definitely Unquestionable Presence.

The songwriting on Piece of Time is less refined, and doesn't yet integrate the jazz elements that are found on UP.

Elements is not a very good record. I don't understand what people like about it.

1. unquestionable presense
2. piece of time
3. elements

Elements sounds rushed. The production is also really akward.

The ORIGINAL South Of Heaven said:
Cynic is better.

No.

I say Piece Of Time,Unquestionable Presence is great album too indeed but i just like Piece Of Time much and plus Roger Patterson(R.I.P) who is one of the greatest bassist of all time i.m.o played in piece of time.

The ORIGINAL South Of Heaven said:
Cynic is better.

Wrong.

UP is their best.

Cynic is better, their record was better, and their better musicians.

Atheist say this exact thing in an interview.

Just because it isn't METUHL enough for you guys doesn't mean it isn't better. Atheist's songs are decent, but only after you ignore the fact that the songs are disjointed and poorly arranged, and the solos could have been done by Kerry King.

10293847 said:
Cynic is better, their record was better, and their better musicians.

Atheist say this exact thing in an interview.

There you have it.

... or delete my posts for having a different opinion. Heh.

Elements is their best. Unquestionable Presence is next in line.

Atheist and Cynic sound nothing alike. Someone asked what's the best 'atheist' album, why bring up Cynic ?

Why if a progressive band is mentioned someone has to mention another progressive band to try demenstrating what one they think is better or more PROG.

OMG

MORE JAZZ

The bands do not sound even sound 5% similiar so stop mentioned each one when one is mentioned.

it's old

I only have Unquestionable Presence and Piece of Time. The former is definitely more refined, but slightly less aggressive. If you seek a better overall incorporation of jazz elements in thrash/death metal, then Unquestionable Presence is what you want. However, this does not detract from the outstanding death/thrash that is Piece of Time.

Cynic's Focus is a pathetic amalgamation of boring verse-chorus structures wrapped up in drool-derived bubble layers of jazzy onanism. It is hardly metal, and certainly not death metal by any stretch of the imagination. If you think Opeth is deep or Dream Theatre are capable of writing interesting songs, you might want to check it out, though. In that vein, I hear ethidium bromide makes for a good chaser.

Life Sucks said:
Anything but Elements. Not that Elements is horrible, but it is too happy and funky sounding. I wouldn't even call it death metal, more like funk jazzmetal.

Haha...yeah I agree. Elements is their worst, but it's not "bad" by any means, just sort of laid back. UP is their absolute best though.