DarkThrone: Where to start?

Akerfeldt

In the Nightside Eclipse
Sep 16, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Im a relative newcomer when it comes to Darkthrone. I love their music and Im looking into buying an album. The problem is, I've read reviews and they have been mixed. One thing I do know is that "Transylvanian Hunger" is by far their worst album.

I've heard from several sites that Panzerfaust is a great album, I would like to see others opinions on what would be their best album, or best for beginners

And dont say darkthrone sucks and all that other shit, I dont want to here it. *I* like them and I know others do to....

Darkthrone have three classic albums that are mandatory for anyone who claims they listen to black metal. These three classics are:

A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Darkthrone_Blaze.jpg

Under a Funeral Moon
Darkthrone_Funeral_Moon.jpg

Transilvanian Hunger
Darkthrone_Transylvanian.jpg

Panzerfaust is still a good album, but not in the same class as the three classics. The following albums are pretty much worthless.

One thing I do know is that "Transylvanian Hunger" is by far their worst album.
This is a total lie. Most people who listen to Darkthrone think Transilvanian Hunger is the best, or at least equal with the other two. Next time actually listen to the music, instead of being force-fed opinions by a journalist.

Well, from the reviews that I read, they (the reviewers) said that it sucks fuckin ass. But hey, Im glad their wrong.

and thanks for the recommendations. :D

Umm.. I would not call the albums after Panzefaust worthless, and the first album is one of the best death metal albums.
But the three classics + Panzerfaust are the best, yes. no doubt about it, get those first.

I have "Transilvanian hunger", "Panzerfaust" & "Plaguewielder" and have also heard "Under..." and a few songs from "Ravishing grimness" & "Soulside journey". I would say "Plaguewielder" is their best record. I think the thing with Darkthrone is that some of their shit is good, but some of their shit sucks. "Plaguewielder" doesn't have one bad songs, but doesn't have a classic like "Transilvanian...", "Panzerfaust" & "Under..." has. IMO "Transilvanian.." has 3-4 good songs as far as I recall. But then again, everybody got different taste, so you better listen to them yourself. "Transilvanian..." is widely considered their classic records as far as I know, but their records in that period had very bad production and their songs were very simple with only 3-4 riffs (max.!) in each song, so if you don't like that you should try listening to "Ravishing grimness" and "Plaguewielder" instead I think. Better prod. and more riffs.

I'm waiting for The End to stock 'Transylvanian Hunger' and 'A Blaze in the Northern Sky'.

I can't believe you could only find negative reviews of 'Transylvanian Hunger'. . .

IMO Darkthrone's best albums are Soulside Journey and A Blaze in the Northern Sky. Their most revolutionary album, and I might say best if you talk about objective views, is Transilvanian Hunger. Under a Funeral Moon and Panzerfaust (excellent Hellhammer (the band, not the fag) worship) are great too.

i would say that ablaze in the northern sky is the best without doubt .. transilvanian hunger is magnificent, the reason everyone slags it off is cos the production is possibly one of the worst productions ive ever heard! BUT it kinda in a way makes the album even better, when you think that darkthrone were trying to achieve the most cold, necro sound imaginable with some magnificent songs, then you can see how well it works ..

the title track itself is pure godliness!!! (mad contradiction there) ..

but i would still chose ablaze and under a funeral moon over it .. maybe its a shame you heard TH first, if you had heard the other stuff first, then it woulda been a different story!!

all hail dark throne!!!

I've just started getting into Darkthrone too. I think their music is pretty impressive. As for the production, well, blah, it'll always be a point of controversy and conflict won't it? The way I see it is as this; is does aid the band's music. It adds an appropriate atmosphere to what they are doing, but at the same time it is a forced addition, very much like a gimmick. I believe the music could have proven to itself to be far more powerful had it been recorded with modern production qualities and then for the music -on completely it's own merit of musicianship and writing skill- to convey the atmosphere to listeners. As it stands however, the production doesn't really bother me, but that's my two cents!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Goatlord. That's probably my favourite album of theirs... I have to agree that Under A Funeral Moon and A Blaze In The Northern Sky are great releases, but Im not a big fan of Transilvanian Hunger other then the title track. I'd steer clear of Ravishing Grimness and Plaguewielder though.