the mighty Darkthrone..

Soilent Goat

May 26, 2002
I have brought this band up before...but for different reasons. I want to know everyones true reason for loving this band the way they do. It seems to be a fine example of love or hate when it comes to Darkthrone. Personally, I had alot of trouble getting into Darkthrone..I seriously disliked Transylvanian Hunger when I first bought it..but within the last few months I have grown an appreciation for both A Blaze..and Transylvanian Hunger. My reasons are pretty much because I enjoy the raw, hateful, aggression they deliver..once you look past the production it can actually be very enjoyable..You?

My interest in Darkthrone is largely limited to Soulside Journey and A Blaze in the Northern Sky. I've tried to cultivate interest in their other work, and actually own most of their albums. But still, when all is said and done, I really only like those two.

--S

They suck.
I realise that's a very primitive opinion and somewhat naive on my part to simply brush them under the carpet after hearing one album, but still, they suck.
Fenriz touches children too.

i only own ABitNS, but it's pretty good. i also like the two other albums by them i've heard (panzerfaust and some other one i can't remember the name of).

i don't know why i like them, i just do.

I have ABitNS and it's good for the pure rage and atmosphere it shows. I don't know about getting further into them.

For one thing, the whole Norwegian black metal scene is too wrapped up with racism. Darkthrone had the Jewish thing on Trans. Hunger and Hellhammer of Mayhem has said things and Varg, etc. That's not a turn on to me.

But, musically, it's a special niche that this band does pretty well. But when I want rage and the extreme, I'd sooner turn to some of the better death and grindcore bands.

Electronicoil said:
For one thing, the whole Norwegian black metal scene is too wrapped up with racism. Darkthrone had the Jewish thing on Trans. Hunger and Hellhammer of Mayhem has said things and Varg, etc. That's not a turn on to me.

Don't speak Norwegian, so I can't tell the exact trnslations of the "Transilvanian Hunger" lyrics, but since the most lyrics on this particular album were written by Varg V. (a lonely exception), it's not fair to attribute that to Darkthrone. They very CLEARLY stated that they are not a political, nor a racist band, and there is no hint of political/NS themes in any of their English lyrics.

Re Varg: He only started having these nazi views while in prison (one of his many "phases" - probably after he got buttfucked by a black guy :). All his "Big Four" albums were recorded prior to that and their lyrics have nothing at all to do with racism. Perhaps, you should read some of them for a change first, before quoting some "hellhammer" dude.

Djavol said:
They very CLEARLY stated that they are not a political, nor a racist band

Having asked for the phrase "Transilvanian Hunger is beyond criticism, and any man who attempts to do so should be thoroughly patronised for his obviously jewish behaviour.", I fail to believe they are a non-political band.

And their so called "explanation" of this request was equally pathetic. I have no problem with listening to them, because personally I think that these views stem from their want to conform to others in the BM scene at the time, not any genuine belief. But still, claiming they are non-political seems slightly niave :)

Russell said:
But still, claiming they are non-political seems slightly niave :)

i also think that they are not a political band...

more philosophical i think...

okay this is not better or worst but ...

however i really like thair way in black metal approach...maybe they are the only reality in that rotten kind of so called music...

expecially nowadays...

:D

Djavol said:
Don't speak Norwegian, so I can't tell the exact trnslations of the "Transilvanian Hunger" lyrics, but since the most lyrics on this particular album were written by Varg V. (a lonely exception), it's not fair to attribute that to Darkthrone. They very CLEARLY stated that they are not a political, nor a racist band, and there is no hint of political/NS themes in any of their English lyrics.

See the exchange above about the Transylvanian Hunger liner notes. It's hard to reconcile that statement with their later claims to not be political. I don't think they're really Nazis. But the "jewish" thing they said is just pretty stupid. I think they were just trying to sound cool to the portions of the Norwegian BM scene that are NS.

Re Varg: He only started having these nazi views while in prison (one of his many "phases" - probably after he got buttfucked by a black guy :). All his "Big Four" albums were recorded prior to that and their lyrics have nothing at all to do with racism. Perhaps, you should read some of them for a change first, before quoting some "hellhammer" dude.

I know Varg's views well. He's gone totally off the deep end now, even claiming that he won't play BM anymore because guitars are "my pals instruments." F7cking retard.

That "Hellhammer" dude happens to be the only remaining original member of Mayhem and a pretty important guy. He has basically said that Mayhem doesn't like blacks and that BM is for white people.

i think that if darkthrone have nazi or rasict views then so be it its harmless until someone starts killing people. As for the music i love it (well look at my sig) the song transilvanian hunger has got to be one of the rawest most atmospheric song ever. The production on their albums does annoy me some times eg panzerfaust but a blaze in the northern sky and transilvanian hunger are classics

Nocturnal Emperor said:
i think that if darkthrone have nazi or rasict views then so be it its harmless until someone starts killing people. As for the music i love it (well look at my sig) the song transilvanian hunger has got to be one of the rawest most atmospheric song ever. The production on their albums does annoy me some times eg panzerfaust but a blaze in the northern sky and transilvanian hunger are classics

Well, I understand that completely. I don't look down on people who like them. I have ABitNS myself and might even get another album or two down the road because I do enjoy the music. But I'm also not going to pretend that some of the NS and racist stuff in BM in general doesn't bug me. It does bug me. I guess you could say I have mixed feelings overall about Darkthrone. The fact that they made a retraction of their earlier comments, even though it was somewhat 1/2 assed, is somewhat reassuring, however.

These guys are a bit over-rated for sure, in this same style I will take the 1st three SATYRICON albums vs DARKTHRONE anytime. That's not to say they are bad, worth having one or two early albums.