Latest Purchase - Good Choices?

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
I just bought these two albums...

Nightwish - Oceanborn
Darkthorne - Transylvanian Hunger

My question is basically this - are these albums good for the BAND? What I mean is, have I chosen one of the better albums of both bands?

The Darkthrone one was the only Darkthrone release in stock, so it isn't so important in the case of that one, but there were 2 other Nightwish albums that I could have gone for - Wishmaster and Century Child

Therefore, are the albums I bought good choices?

Thanks in advance.

High On Maiden said:
I just bought these two albums...

Nightwish - Oceanborn
Darkthorne - Transylvanian Hunger

My question is basically this - are these albums good for the BAND? What I mean is, have I chosen one of the better albums of both bands?

The Darkthrone one was the only Darkthrone release in stock, so it isn't so important in the case of that one, but there were 2 other Nightwish albums that I could have gone for - Wishmaster and Century Child

Therefore, are the albums I bought good choices?

Thanks in advance.

Never heard Nightwish, so can't comment on that. However, others will disagree with me about the Darkthrone, but I would say that Transylvanian Hunger is one of thier best. So, solid decision there.

The Darkthrone CD is decent. I used to think it sucks because of the horrible production and one really bad song (As Flittermice As Satan Spys), but it grew on me. I wouldn't say it is the best Darkthrone album though, that is A Blaze In The Northern Sky in my opinion. But it is better than Hate Them or Plaguewielder.

You can't really go wrong with Darkthrone. Of course, some albums are stronger than others, but still. Transilvanian Hunger is brilliant. Very nice front-cover too ;)

yep, good choice with Transilvanian Hunger. About their best in my opinion.

As for Nightwish, Oceanborn is good too. I'd say Wishmaster is quite a bit better overall, even though my favourite Nightwish song is on Oceanborn.....but definately avoid Century Child, it's just plain shit compared to the earlier two. But yeah, good choices.

I don't really know anything about Nightwish, but Transilvanian Hunger is my least favorite Darkthrone cd. I would've gotten A Blaze In The Northern Sky or Under A Funeral Moon first, though, like you said, there was no other choice.

I think Oceanborn is NightWish's best album, but I guess I'm the only one... It's the first one of them I heard, so I think you made a good choice, Wishmaster is almost as good, and Century Child is alright, but the worst one out of those. As for Darkthronw, I can't really say cuz I've only heard 3 of their songs, but they Tell Me A Blaze in the Northern Sky is their best.

"Oceanborn" is a good album, although "Wishmaster" is by far their best work. If you enjoy that one, I would recommend picking up "Wishmaster," you won't be disappointed.

I feel Oceanborn is easily Nightwish's best, with Wishmaster being a close second. You did good on that.

I'm not a Darkthrone fan, so I'll just skip that part :)

Transivlanian Hunger is my fav Darkthrone release. Not a wrong choice by any means.

I have no clue about Nightwish,

Wishmaster would have been better, but Oceanborn ain't half bad. CC would have been a poor choice, though.

Transylvanian Hunger, with my limited Darkthrone knowledge, is a good album. Perhaps you should consider grabbing Blaze In The Northern Sky as an accompaniment in the near future?