What would you suggest for someone new to (good) metal?

Okay, thanks everyone. I've definetely got enough recommendations here. I'll think it over when I have some time.

replace darkthrone with emperor. They aren't as good, but they certainly are more accessible and have a wow factor. It was really hard for me to get into darkthrone. Sure they wank a little, but there is definatly substance to be found. Make sure to throw in iron maiden too.

Anything by Slough Feg
Anything by Manilla Road
Anything by Coroner
Anything by Doomsword
Anything by Penance, Solstice Pagan Altar, Dark Quarterer, Candlemass

I agree with Drudkh. Excellent suggestion.

Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
In Flames - The Jester Race
Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Dissection - The Somberlain

They'd be pretty good intro albums for darker death metal / black metal, but still quite melodic and accessable.

Aeternus, I don't think is a good intro, neither are Burzum or Graveland. IF you wanted to go down a more extreme black metal sound, I'd go with Deathspell Omega.

misfit said:
I agree with Drudkh. Excellent suggestion.

Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
In Flames - The Jester Race
Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Dissection - The Somberlain

They'd be pretty good intro albums for darker death metal / black metal, but still quite melodic and accessable.

Aeternus, I don't think is a good intro, neither are Burzum or Graveland. IF you wanted to go down a more extreme black metal sound, I'd go with Deathspell Omega.

Agreed, but i would choose something like candlemass, slough feg, mercyful fate instead of katatonia.