Would you let bad production get in the way of an otherwise good album?

^ Yeah, I can agree with that. Looking back, I guess using the word "bad" in the context I used it in at the beginning of the thread, wasn't really correct.

This is a mindset to be overcome, until you do so I don't expect you to understand.

Again with the condescension. How about you have a think about overcoming the 'holier-than-thou know-it-all' mindset.

"Production" isn't something to be set apart and judged on its own. I look at it as a part interacting with other aspects of the whole. And personal dislike is a long way off from "faults" and "mistakes."

The problem with that outlook is that the producer isn't usually a member of the band, and the communication between the band and the producer with regards to their vision of how they want the recording to sound is sometimes skewed. The band often end up with a final mix that is basically the producer's interpretation of what the album should sound like, and by this stage the money is spent and the recording is released regardless of whether the band are 100% happy or not.