The best production/sound..?

Blitzkrieg

Master Exploder
After listening to some awesomely produced albums in the last few days, I got thinking, what does everyone think the best produced/best sounding albums are?? The ones I have been considering are:
  • Blaze - Tenth Dimension - the first album sounded awesome, and this one is even better, having taken it up a notch. Blaze are awesome. :D
  • Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What! - this is thrash at its best IMO. My fav 'Deth album, my fav thrash album, and possibly my fav sounding album of the 80s.
  • Bruce Dickinson - AoB/TCW - Roy Z absolutely nailed these albums, and got the best out of Bruce as possible. The formula works so well, Bruce's vocals, Adrian and Roy's playing, all of them are awesome writers, and Roy's production make for some of the best metal of the 90s, and the sound is HUGE. All you need to do is chuck on the opening track to either album, and you will no what I mean. Heavy as hell!
  • Metallica - Master of Puppets - a timeless classic, no doubt about it. This album sounds so good, it could have been released yesterday, and it wouldn't sound dated. Not many 80s albums you could say that about.
  • Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World - Andy Sneap did it again. One of the only bands that use a seven string properly IMO (that is without sounding like nu-metal tripe). This is the future of metal.
  • Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings - I may be a minority, but I think the remaster of this album is one of the best sounding metal albums I have ever heard. From the intro to the title track, straight through to the outro of Dante's, this album is huge. I disagree with Jon about Matt's performance also, I think he did a phenomenal job. Awesome stuff.
  • Iced Earth - Dark Saga - does anyone else think this album sounds ALOT like Metallica?? Well, that is why I included it, as sounding like Metallica definately ain't a bad thing! This is what Metallica should sound like now (although after hearing about the new album, maybe they are on the right track :confused: ).
  • Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes - I included more than one IE album because they are all so different, and I love these three for different reasons. This album is almost the perfect mix of the previous two, and I don't think they captured the same sound on 'Horror Show'.
  • Dungeon - A Rise To Power - no, I'm not sucking up to the boys. It was actually listening to this and Blaze the last few days that had me thinking about it. I think you guys did an amazing job with the production on this album, and it hammers ALOT of the 'big name' power metal bands out there.

I am probably forgeting some that I wanted to mention, but I guess that will do. What do you guys reckon??

Vinnie Vincent Invasion - Vinnie Vincent Invasion - Phwoaaaaaaaaaar. Ear shatteringly extreme sounding album! The guitars sound so damn heavy and overall its just a brutal assault on the ears, but at the same time being really fun, party, sleazy, glam. The guitar tone though... :worship:

Judas Priest - Painkiller - Is there a better sounding heavy metal album ever? Nope. The guitar sound, the drum sound, the mix, the feel, the energy, everything is just perfect!

Bon Jovi - New Jersey - Huge sound on this.. Bob Rock is the man. Great dynamics I think.

Def Leppard - Hysteria - Just awesome layered sounds here. The most perfect pop-metal album ever I think. The soundscape is just amazing I think and still hard rocking at the same time.

Slaughter - The Wild Life - Lots of studio tricks and stuff on this album, its very very produced which I usually don't like, but it just sounds so cool!

Pink Cream 69 - Sonic Dynamite - This album is so slick . The production is just so perfect and compliments the songwriting and musicianship so well! It is atmospheric but fun and lighthearted at the same time, and very clear and melodic. This album is just a masterpiece and once again I would like to highly recommend it to every fan of hard rock and melodic metal in the whole wide world. ;) :p AOR/Metal at its best.

I'd pick Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos, Edguy's Mandrake, and I think it was either In Flames or Arch Enemy that I was listening to the other week in Dakk's car on the way home from rehearsal and it sounded HUGE!

I'd also mention that new album from that Dungeon band too but that may look a little conceited... HAHA!

Def Leppard: Hysteria, Slang and X (Great production even if I dont like it much!)

Brucey: Chemical Wedding (I can still remember the first time I put this on and King In Crimson came on, it was SO heavy :headbang: )

Nevermore: Dead Heart (7 strings never sounded better :D)

Fear Factory: Digimortal (Sounds amazing, especially vocals wise)

Bon Jovi: New Jersey (Same reasons as Troops said!)

Testament: The Gathering (Best production of a thrash album EVER :) )

Metallica: The Black album

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg

[*]Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings - I may be a minority, but I think the remaster of this album is one of the best sounding metal albums I have ever heard. From the intro to the title track, straight through to the outro of Dante's, this album is huge. I disagree with Jon about Matt's performance also, I think he did a phenomenal job. Awesome stuff.
[*]Iced Earth - Dark Saga - does anyone else think this album sounds ALOT like Metallica?? Well, that is why I included it, as sounding like Metallica definately ain't a bad thing! This is what Metallica should sound like now (although after hearing about the new album, maybe they are on the right track :confused: ).
[*]Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes - I included more than one IE album because they are all so different, and I love these three for different reasons. This album is almost the perfect mix of the previous two, and I don't think they captured the same sound on 'Horror Show'.
[/B]

I totally agree with you about Burnt Offerings, the remaster is unreal! WAY better than the original! The guitar tone is SO heavy!

Dark Saga does sound like Metallica, so its not just you, but it still stands on its own I think :) :worship: :worship: A Question Of Heaven

SWTWC has some of the best acoustic stuff ive heard, and the guitar tone is just crushing, stuff like Burning Times and Disciples Of The Lie sound heavy as hell :D

:headbang:

Ice Age - Liberation (the best sounding album to date)

Dream Theater - ACOS (so tight)

POS - One Hour By The Concrete Lake

Fates Warning - Disconnected

Bobby Rock - Out Of Body (The best sound I've ever heard from a 3 piece)

All true , now lets talk about the LIVE ones lol ....
Rarly that you know some ...
Slayer's Decade of aggression is pretty darn good , but really , Metallica's Live in mexico city the 3 cds from the box is Unreal , the quality of the recording and the ability to capture the drum kicks ,the guitars , the bass , the vocals , and the Piro Plus the Crowd in such detail that if you are litnening to it on a 5.1 you'de think you are there ....
and i must add live at donington "Maiden" ... WOW ..

also its not a whole album but Poison by Alice Cooper is done really well. it sounds wicked at high volume. who produced that?

Ahhhh man that whole album "Trash" is produced brilliantly (by Desmond Child)!!!! Especially the backing vocal layers, sounds awesome! "Poison" is the perfect example of it!