Best of the year so far...

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
Im bored, lets play pick the best of the year so far and add what you are looking forward to for the rest of it :)

Best of the year so far IMHO are:

Weve Come For You All - Anthrax - Best Anthrax cd ever, I dont care if you say otherwise, you are lying! This is so good, I was really surprised, especially considering how far into their career they are! Brilliant stuff

!:headbang:

Damnation And A Day - Cradle Of Filth - I dont know what it is exactly, I just really like it, really atmospheric and spooky. He is a fucking awful vocalist though, but he switches between growls, singing, screeching and yelling so much you sorta dont mind. Succeeds in spite of the vocalist lets say, awesome riffage too. Ill go see them if they tour here

Enemies Of Reality - Nevermore - Like all Nevermore this took a about a week to grow on me, but I love it now, muddy production but thats ok, the songs kick ass. Tomorrow Turned Into Yesterday sounds like Creed, its cool

Soul Temptation - Brainstorm - Jon Schaffer better watch out, these guys will kick his ass if they make a better release than this one next time around. Awesome heavy metal, think Something Wicked This Way Comes crossed with Grave Digger, but catchier. Its got a free concert dvd with it as well, easily one of the best of the year

The Impossibility Of Reason - Chimaira - Bloody stupid metal fans lumping these guys into the numetal genre and ignoring them. Slayer crossed with Machinehead and BRILLIANT. Southy especially will like this one. I wish more people would buy it, but its like asking a Manowar fan to buy Slipknot seemingly. Silly buggers. Anyway, awesome cd

In Defiance Of Existence - Old Mans Child - Like Dimmu Borgir but thrashier and with more keyboards, id buy it and so should you, dont you think? Yes. So, do that then, its a great cd

Epica - Kamelot - Not as good as the almighty godly Karma cd, but very very close. Best ballad ive heard in a long time in Wander, and well, tis got Roy Khan singing on it, who is second only to the almight godly Ronnie James Dio in the majestic vocals stakes. Its not silly power metal its in a class of its own, vocally and musically. Go on, buy it, it will thank you for many years with its metally goodness

Live Kreation dvd/cd - Kreator/thrash overload, gotta love it. No Replicas of life on it though, fucking wankers.

Honorable mentions:
Double Live Annihilation - Annihilator - If you like thrash it doesnt get much better than the 2nd cd on here

Disappointments of the year:

Dance Of Death cover - See the St. Anger review.

St. Anger - Metallica - A big steaming fucking turd. but we have been through all this so lets move on.

The Blessed Hellride - Black Label Society - Actually starting to quite like this now for some reason, but I dont think its as good as it could have been, but I think im lying and ill really like it in a week.

As Live As It Gets - Blaze - Good, but not that good, prefer the studio versions really, I was expecting Blaze to sound much heavier live but they didnt. Still good but. Not great though.

Looking forward to:

Death Cult Armageddon - Dimmu Borgir - Have the whole album on mp3 and it sounded muddy as hell, then I found out they sent out the promos on cassette to stop piracy, so the mp3s were ripped from that and all was well again. Will go close to getting album of the year, other black metal should be embarrassed to show themselves in the face of the onslaught that is DB, basically a movie score crossed with black metal. Genius. Will lead to legions of black metal fans decrying DB as "not true black metal" and "untr00 posers" so you know it must be great!

Anthems Of Rebellion - Arch Enemy - Downloaded the track We Will Rise from the CM page and its awesome. I heard a track off their previous album and the vocals are awful, which style does she usually sing in? Perhaps I just heard the wrong song because We Will Rise is fab.

Dance Of Death - Iron Maiden - Natch.

Heretic - Morbid Angel - Heard one track on the Earache website and its cool. Havent made a bad album yet (well maybe Gateways, maybe...) and I dont think they will start now. Hopefully he will write a song that mentions The Ancient Ones because I dont think he gives them enough press.

The Glorious Burden - Iced Earth: Please be good, please be good, please be good.

The new cradle of filth is by far the worst cradle cd they've released. And they have released a shitload of albums, all of which are bad. Except Midian, which is OK.

Best cd this year is the new Astriaal.

Best CD is Anthrax... I think. I'm sure there's another that I'm forgetting. St Anger also rocks the hizouse.

Oh yeah - best release of the year is Star One's Live on Earth CD/DVD. Tis great stuff. :)

Righty I have been meaning to get Chimiara every fucking time I get near JBs..but I fucking forget..last weekend it was what I was getting till I seen Spineshanks newie and thought..fuck it this'll be better, well would it have been better spawny??

Koichi said:
The new cradle of filth is by far the worst cradle cd they've released. And they have released a shitload of albums, all of which are bad. Except Midian, which is OK.

Best cd this year is the new Astriaal.

We never agree on anything so im not surprised you dont like it :)

I don't really have any standouts so far, just a handful of solid albums. There is probably more I want to hear but haven't than great ones I have heard.

New Metallica, Grave Digger and Nevermore would all be in the top 10, but they are all simply solid albums, and not THAT awesome (though I think Nevermore will grow on me more).

From what I have heard, the new Anthrax really isn't that great, and frankly I don't see what everyone is raving about. :confused: I will give it a proper listen one day though, then make up my mind.

I haven't heard the new Sepultura yet, but am keen to.

Brainstorm - Soul Temptation: catchier than both Grave Digger and IE's SWTWC huh? Is that even possible? And still heavy and in ya face? Sounds worth checking out...

Looking forward to:

Maiden - Dance Of Death: I am actually pretty confident that this will be one of my albums of the year. I just have a really great vibe about it, and I love BNW, and think DoD will top it.

LORD - A Personal Journey: After listening to the samples I am really looking forward to LT's album, it sounds kinda like the older Dungeon stuff (which is cool), but different, kinda modern 80s which could be really cool. That riff in 'Footsteps In The Sand' is killer.

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden: After Matt leaving the band I don't think this album will be as good as it could have been, but the samples still sound alright and show potential, and it isn't the vocals that were what was wrong with them. I am sure it will be good, it is just a matter of how good.

Also looking forward to newies from Priest, Dream Theater and BLAZE when they get around to it. :)

Blitzkrieg said:
Brainstorm - Soul Temptation: catchier than both Grave Digger and IE's SWTWC huh? Is that even possible? And still heavy and in ya face? Sounds worth checking out...

Yep, its great, brilliant singer too. I think you will REALLY like it especially Blitzy because you are a big Gravdigger fan and these guys have quite a bit in common with them, though they arent a clone or anything :)

spawn said:
Nope, whats it like? I have their last cd and 2 tracks were brilliant and the rest sucked...

only 2 songs hey..I got 5 out of it :lol:

the new one is alot better again, and the have gone a little lighter on the loops and programming..its very good mate they keep improving

Southy said:
only 2 songs hey..I got 5 out of it :lol:

the new one is alot better again, and the have gone a little lighter on the loops and programming..its very good mate they keep improving

I might grab it next time I dont spend too much at Utopia then :)