Spawns Year End CD Review Extravaganza

Well since Tony Martin sound almost EXACTLY like Dio at times, I'm not surprised its Dioesque! :headbang:

I love Tony Martin! Black Sabbath's best era in my opinion were the Martin albums! Although I prefer Dio's voice, the Sabbath stuff with Martin is alot better than the Sabbath albums with Dio because they changed their style more to suit his voice with Martin than they did with Dio.

I wish they would remix Tyr though, the production is weak, and its nowhere near loud enough!

The drums just need to be punchier I think and it would rock harder.

Has a couple of their best songs ever though! (Jersusalem and Valhalla!)

:worship: :worship: VALHALLA! :worship: :worship:

I also like Feels Good or Sure Feels Good or whatever its called, I cant remember.

viva emptiness is the culmination of everything Katatonia have been leading up to - it's the perfect mix of melancholy, melody, and heaviness, kata-stylee.

Well without understanding the context, my post would seem dumb hehe. Katatonia are a melancholic doom metal band, so for them to go more accessible, they lose some of their melancholic edge which makes them so great IMO. The stuff I heard from Viva Emptiness just didn't seem very deep compared to their other stuff.

anthema and katatonia haven't played doom metal in years. its gothic rock these days

Doom rules! Especially with the Evil Dead patch with all the sound effects with Ash saying "groovy" whenever you picked up a weapon, that just plain rocked! :headbang:

as a doom metal fan, the latest offerings from Anathema and Katatonia are definitly not doom metal. Yes they are gloomy, melancholy and dark but that doesn't make them doom metal. Katatonia and Anathema have played doom in the past but in recent years they have taken a more laid back gothic rock/metal approach, particulary Anathema. Im not saying they aren't good bands, im just saying they aren't doom. If you want doom check out Mourning Beloveth (www.mourningbeloveth.com), Mirror Of Deception (http://www.mirrorofdeception.com/), The Eternal (www.the-eternal.com) and Swallow The Sun (www.swallowthesun.cjb.net) for a few examples.
doom on motherfuckers