My year end review...

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
I think its been a woefully crap year for metal, theres been some "pretty good" albums, but very, very few brilliant ones, and loads of shit ones :(

Album of the year...
B00029LNNC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

No surprise here, this album is just about as good as The Gathering by Testament, and sounds very, very similair. Everyone should own a copy. Especially Blitzy and Sydo. I fucking love this album, I cant imagine how they will top this with their next one though.

Honourable mentions...
B0002SPQ1I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Very surprised how good this album turned out to be. I didnt think Dave had it in him anymore to rock like this.

front_cover_AEIW.jpg

I.C.E. pick up where Immortal left off around Blizzard Beasts, only with listenable production. Its EXTREMELY fast black metal. Their interviews are funny as fuck too, you just KNOW they are giggling like kids when they answer the questions, the one about Immortal is a crackup. http://www.metalreviews.com/interviews/interviews.php?id=56 Apparently the members are from some underground bands in the US whose names I cannot remember at the moment. If you like Immortal from around Blizzard Beasts/Battles In The North (which is none of you now I think about it) you will love this. i like the opening line to the first song "We are fucking IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCE!" Good stuff.

B00014AQ3G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I was surprised Exodus could come out with such a great album given how long it had been since they wrote anything great, but this rules, great thrash, a few too many guitar solos though, it makes the songs way too long.

mantas.gif

A cross between Venom, Sepultura, Slipknot and Slayer (and that pretty much describes the album EXACTLY!). This is brilliant, heres an MP3 to listen to http://www.demolitionrecords.com/newreleases/music/KILL_IT.mp3 Its a great album, nothing fancy, just really, really heavy and aggressive. Todd, I reckon you would really like this.

symphorce_twice_second.jpg

This sounds very similair to Dead Heart In A Dead World by Nevermore, so if you liked that album you will like this, really good vocals too.

cans-beyond_the_gates.jpg

Joacim from Hammerfalls solo album. Mike from Halford played guitar and wrote some songs on it, and it sounds like Halfords first solo album musically. Its nothing like Hammerfall, much heavier and darker. Not a brilliant album, has a few fillers, but Fields Of Yesterday and Silent Cries fucking RULE.

cover_jorn.jpg

Some guy called Jorn made an album. If you like 1987 era Whitesnake you will love this album. It sounds almost identical.

drgnforcsoncforsorld360.jpg

Most other power metal bands should be banned from playing because they suck. Only Dragonforce doth rule with their speedy playing and insane solos. Fucking great album!

mini.jpg

Fuck it ruled that they got back together. The world needs Fear Factory.

mini.jpg

Nymphetamine may be their best album yet, it needs more time to sink in before I decide though.

I probably forgot some other good albums but thats all that comes to mind at the moment.

You have seen the pics in the At The Heart Of Winter album though, right? Now those are some homo pics ;)

If you like those albums then I think you will like ICE. The website is www.imperialice.com and theres a sample on the merch page.

spawn said:
B00029LNNC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Everyone should own a copy. Especially Blitzy and Sydo.
So it shall be written, so it shall be done.
I might pick up few of the others you've mentioned too. :headbang:

Sydo, there is no possible way on Earth or any other planet you will not love Unlimited by Susperia.

spawn said:
cover_jorn.jpg

Some guy called Jorn made an album. If you like 1987 era Whitesnake you will love this album. It sounds almost identical.

It's Jorn Lande, the singer from masterplan and others.

His first solo album, Worldchanger shits all over the one you have.

Yes I know, he was also in Ark, toured with Yngwie and a shitload of other stuff.

I agree with trent Thunderdome by Pink Cream 69 is awesome. Only other album Ive bought thats been released this year is the new Jaded Heart and that rocks too :headbang:

Anyone who likes Bon Jovi should get Jaded Heart. They are like a modern Bon Jovi.

:headbang: :headbang:

Best album for mine would probably be Glenn Hughes - Songs in the Key of Rock. Haven't been that many top albums this year. :( None that I can think of off the top of my head, though.

spawn said:
I.C.E. pick up where Immortal left off around Blizzard Beasts, only with listenable production. Its EXTREMELY fast black metal. Their interviews are funny as fuck too, you just KNOW they are giggling like kids when they answer the questions, the one about Immortal is a crackup. http://www.metalreviews.com/interviews/interviews.php?id=56 Apparently the members are from some underground bands in the US whose names I cannot remember at the moment. If you like Immortal from around Blizzard Beasts/Battles In The North (which is none of you now I think about it) you will love this. i like the opening line to the first song "We are fucking IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCE!" Good stuff.
Top interview, that one. :headbang:

I've heard of Susperia, but am not sure that I've heard their stuff. That cover looks like a black metal album cover. But they play thrash, yeah?

Winmar, Susperia sounds pretty much EXACTLY like The Gathering era Testament, only with a little more melody.

Art Of Dying IS a good album, but not as good as the ones I mentioned (IMHO!)

I forgot to add...

Best album I bought this year that wasnt released this year...

B0000027DJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Thanks Sydo :worship: :worship: :worship: :)

No it isnt :) Art Of Dying is good, but I like TOTD more because its more aggressive and has better riffs :worship: