Your album of the year so far??

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Choose 1 and 1 only.... Or more if you want. Who cares.

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Fantastic album. Still gets regular play. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here is huge. Massive riffage at the end. Whole album is great though. Other highlight is The Start of Something Beautiful.

Opeth - Ghost Reveries.
Hasn't left my CD player yet. Rather than beginning to get sick of it, I am beginning to hear new things and love it more and more. Harlequin Forest is up there with the best Opeth tracks. The ending riff is pretty crazy, and anyone who doubts Mikaels clean vocals needs to hear this. He is just awesome. Great vibe on this song

Dream Theater - Octavarium.
Had to get a mention because the title track is the best song released this year no doubt. Rest of the album is solid, but... yeah.

System of a Down - Mesmerize.
I got given this album and had it in my car for weeks. Its pretty rockin and alot of fun. Great band.

So there ya have it. No real surprises from me.
I'd like to get into more new shit that was released this year so would like everyones opinions on albums.... Will have to check out Nevermore soon.
Is there anything else coming out of interest before the end of the year?

No surprises from me:
Vanishing Point - Embrace the Silence. The long wait since Tangled was worth it. Great album, regularly played.

Dark Tranquillity - Character. Hadn't heard a lot of DT before this one, but this blew me away. Huge amount of energy and power. Very cool.

Another good release is Savage Circus - Dreamland Manor. Wasn't sure what to expect, but hugely reminiscent of old Blind Guardian.

Darkane - Layers of Lies

Best album to come out of Sweden in 5 years! Totally blows all the other "swedecore" bands out of the water, and I'm a fan of most of those as well (which says alot hehe)

Dream Theater - Octavarium

Brilliant.....

Nevermore - This Godless Endeavour

I'd never heard much Nevermore but this surprised me massively!

Vanishing Point - Embrace the Silence
Dungeon - Resurrection (cos I'm on the cover! :headbang: )

They're the only two albums from this year that I've bought, I'm pretty sure. No bands that completely interest me to the max have released an album this year.

Oh!

Raven Black Night - Choose the Dark.

GO THE AUSSIES. Embrace the Silence is so far for me the CD of the year though.

Tyranny of Souls for me.

I'm not sure if I've finished listening to Embrace the Silence yet, even though I bought it many weeks ago. I have a habit of doing that these days. Sigh. Might pop it in now.

Ooh, sounds good.

Spiff said:
I'm not sure if I've finished listening to Embrace the Silence yet, even though I bought it many weeks ago.
/QUOTE]

jawdrop.gif
jawdrop.gif
:D

I don't tend to spend enough time on the net to finish CDs, which is the only time I listen to music that I haven't ripped to my iRiver. :)

My fav so far is probably Demons & Wizards - Touched By The Crimson King, which is closely followed by Kreator's Enemy Of God.

Albums I am yet to hear, but are high on my list:

Bruce Dickinson - Tyranny Of Souls
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavour
Vanishing Point - Embrace the Silence

When Darkane are good, they are awesome. I bought Insanity because all the songs I heard from it were awesome, but when I got it, I found there wasn't much else on there I liked, so that turned me off of them a bit. I will pick up some more of their stuff one day though.