Album of the year . . . so far.

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
This is a thread about the album:

GOATSBLOOD - DRULL

This is absolutely some of the best EXTREME music I've heard in a long time. I would compare their mixture of styles like this . . .

Eyehategod meets Today is the Day and Neurosis in a pitch black, rotten, festering back alley, while Khanate throws knives at them from the roof tops for sport. I can hear ever-so-slight resemblences to Old Man Gloom (without the samples) and even Akercocke. I'm telling you this album is SOLID. From beginning to end Goatsblood puts on a seminar in extreme music. It's all here . . . from slow grinds and sludge to blasting, filthy death and black metal. This stuff is sick, black, and actually memorable after first listen.

Steve Austin of Today is the Day mastered the recording. I think he does an excellent job at making things sound raw and in your face.

So far this is album of the year for me. Watchmaker, Khanate, and possibly Akercocke might give them a good run, though. Aborym, Negura, and Manes are now trailing these guys for me.

Go to www.willowtip.com and order this now. Fans of Eyehategod, Today is the Day (the really heavy songs), Khanate (not near as slow, though), Neurosis (the mid-period stuff) and extreme music that hasn't been done a billion times will eat this shit up.

I don't know how many of you ladies at the RC forum will be able to handle this. You might want to go check out the mp3's first.:D

Well I still need to order Ion Dissonance from Willotip, so perhaps I'll make it a two for Tuesday... (next Tuesday, when I have money :D ).

DragonForce - Valley Of The Damned or Iron Maiden - Dance of Death. I have a feeling in my gammy leg that the new PowerQuest album will be giving both a run for their money though...

Where does Versus the World come in? '02 or '03?

Albums I've yet to hear:

EoS - Crimson II
Iron Maiden - DoD (...please god, make this a good one...)
Einherjer - Blot
Falkenbach - is it due this year? I forget.

I agree with npearce in that I would list Negura Bunget & Manes in my top 10 for sure. I'd be surprised not to see Virgin Black or Extol in there either.

Right now, the best album of the year for me is Vital Remains - Dechristianize...

...and I just cannot believe that another death metal album is leading the charge again (this time last year, Nile was dominating my airwaves). I wouldn't even consider myself to be a death metal fan, but when it's done right, there is little that comes close.

Has everyone heard the latest Cradle of Filth yet? I'm just curious as to what the usual anti-CoF gang might think of it? Did anyone disagree with Josh's review?

I was so disappointed with Bitter Suites to Succubi that I haven't listened to ANY CoF since that album came out, and I used to be a diehard.

King Crimson - the Power to Believe
is most definitely #1, and it doesn't look like anything will shake it. Manes, Aborted, Omnium Gatherum, and Antimatter look to be definites in the list, and new Edge of Sanity, Morbid Angel, A Perfect Circle, and Nuclear Rabbit have yet to be heard.

Sure if you don't want it. I'm not a big gore fan normally, but Aborted isn't a typical gore band anyhow. They listened to Sabbath as often as Carcass, ya know?

NAD said:
Sure if you don't want it. I'm not a big gore fan normally, but Aborted isn't a typical gore band anyhow. They listened to Sabbath as often as Carcass, ya know?

Hey - my promos are available to anyone on the team who wants 'em. OK if my review of the album intrigues you enough, then I'll send it to you no problemo.

In that case I am still curious about Madder Mortem. :lol:

Oh yeah, I'm finally getting an Antimatter digipak next week, I'll send that promo with KC (since my lazy ass still hasn't :erk: ).

JayKeeley said:
Has everyone heard the latest Cradle of Filth yet? I'm just curious as to what the usual anti-CoF gang might think of it? Did anyone disagree with Josh's review?

First: This thread was supposed to help endorse GOATSBLOOD . . . but, oh well.

Regarding the new COF: I used to be a huge COF fan, but the new one is so boring I can't stand it. I downloaded it recently, so I'm glad I didn't waste my money. Everything about it reeks of mediocrity. It is practically power metal with screaming and roaring vocals. The band is farther from black metal than they ever have been. I like the more complex songs from their past. The new stuff is very straight forward. I guess that is OK for some, but the new album is way to average for me. The only good thing about it is the production.

npearce said:
Regarding the new COF: I used to be a huge COF fan, but the new one is so boring I can't stand it. I downloaded it recently, so I'm glad I didn't waste my money. Everything about it reeks of mediocrity. It is practically power metal with screaming and roaring vocals. The band is farther from black metal than they ever have been. I like the more complex songs from their past. The new stuff is very straight forward. I guess that is OK for some, but the new album is way to average for me. The only good thing about it is the production.

Damnation and a Day was my first taste of CoF. I didn't think it was all that bad! In fact, I was surprised at how grandiose it sounded - but I like the whole soundtrack thing.

So is anyone interested in the new Dimmu Borgir then? They've supposed to have gone the orchestra route as well.

Re: GOATSBLOOD, I'll try to find some mp3's. Are there any on their website or on MP3.com?

JayKeeley said:
Iron Maiden - DoD (...please god, make this a good one...)

If you liked Brave New World I expect Dance of Death will deliver the goods also :) I've found it to be very much a grower. And the title track is already an all-time Maiden classic in my book, only two days on (it took me months to get into BNW...) :headbang:

I'm writing a review right now...not saying anything until ready to publish...and I'm sure others will want to get a review in too. We'll do an on-site roundtable.

Picked up Dance Of Death today (I know, I accept the fact that I will be forever branded a poseur on this forum for waiting over 24 hours!)...will give it at attentive listen tomorrow morning. I did put on one track just to make the wait slightly more bearable...and No More Lies, despite having one of those BNW repetitive choruses, is classic Maiden all the fuckin' way.

Demonspell said:
I did put on one track just to make the wait slightly more bearable...and No More Lies, despite having one of those BNW repetitive choruses, is classic Maiden all the fuckin' way.
If you want 'classic', just wait until you hear Montsegur...:D...I'm biting my tongue until the review....:erk: