What is the best album of the year so far?

Im gonna have to say either BGs A Night at the Opera or PoS' Remedy Lane. I notice a few people don't like ANatO...its definately a sound change for them. Theres certainly not as much speed as there was on albums like Somewhere Far Beyond or Imaginations, but ANatO is certainly more "progressive" sounding, especially with a song like And Then There Was Silence (say what you will about the album but I'd be very suprised to see any BG fan not name this song amung their best songs ever, its simply brilliant). I agree its not as powerful as NiME or even IFtoS but its still a good album...

Of the ones I have gotten so far, I'd say Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence by Dream Theater. I'd vote for that based solely on the collection of songs on the second CD labelled as the titled song. I think DT is much better when they move a little bit away from metal, even though I like metal from other bands. When they do more melodic stuff they are kind of more in the vein of Pink Floyd. But the new SX might win me over.

Not many truly outstanding releases this year, but one which has caught my ear so far is Killswitch Engage's Alive or Just Breathing. Tons of aggression, pounding drums and thrashy-licious riffs ..

Last week I would've said Star One but now I would definately have to say Spock's Beard "Snow" Easily the best album of the year. I'm very curious to hear The Odyssey however. It may win my pick of the year in the long run.

Mmmm It's good to see Spock's Beard's Snow turning up at a metal board. Although it will not be my favorite album, it will be in my top 10 this year. I love it!

Right now it's one of these.

Pain of Salvation's Remedy Lane
Cosmosquad's Squadrophenia
Arabesque"s The Union
Arturus's The Sham Mirrors

Can't wait for the new Symphony X, Opeth and Porcupine Tree especially since they all claim that these will be their heaviest discs!

Originally posted by Bumblefoot
EVERON HAS A NEW ALBUM OUT?!?!?! MUST BUY.

Two of them actually, recorded simultaneously but released separately...I wonder where they got that idea from? :) Seismic premiered most of Flesh yesterday and it sounded excellent.

Nice list Liquid Tension...those are my three most anticipated albums of the fall.

This is a rough list and there are still some things I need to hear... like Sham Mirrors and Everon... but here goes:

1. Pain Of Salvation - "Remedy Lane" (Sweden, Inside Out Music America)
2. Enchant - "Blink Of An Eye" (USA, Inside Out Music America)
3. Porcupine Tree - "In Absentia" (UK, Lava)
4. Amaran - "A World Depraved" (Sweden, Listenable)
5. Tad Morose - "Matters Of The Dark" (Sweden, Century Media)
6. Soilwork - "Natural Born Chaos" (Sweden, Nuclear Blast)
7. November's Doom - "To Welcome The Fade" (USA, Dark Symphonies)
8. Threshold - "Critical Mass" (UK, Inside Out Music America)
9. Into Eternity - "Dead Or Dreaming" (Canada, Century Media)
10. Arabesque - "The Union" (Netherlands, Lion Records)

satriani bland?!!? NOOO you dont say?!

Couldn't agree more. All he does is masterbate with his guitar. He could without a doubt kick the shit out of my playing, but hes so fucking boring.