So-Far this year...

Megadeth, Therion, King Diamond, Manegarm, Ensiferum, Turisas put out some stuff this year I got.

not much black metal for me this year but looking forward to Enthroned, Immortal, Winds, Arch Enemy, Bloodbath, Diabolical Masquerade and DarkThrone albums to come.

II haven't found a single truly 'outstanding' album but of course there's been some good ones, and I've listened to a large number of albums this year.

same here, 2006 was mediocre as well.

I currently like Vo Skorbyah, which is pretty excellent. It's folk/funeral doom from Russia.

I could probably name at least 75 excellent, quality releases from 2006, especially in regards to black metal. Last year was a phenomenal year for metal.

Amon Amarth..... :yuk: we don't have the same taste. I'm more into avantgarde/atmospheric black metal.

I think all those you mentionned have been average to me.

Amon Amarth..... :yuk: we don't have the same taste. I'm more into avantgarde/atmospheric black metal.

I think all those you mentionned have been average to me.

Danggggg. Just so you know Negura Bunget's OM is avantgarde black metal. Why did you think that album is average? Wolves in the Throne Room might be atmosphereic; but, I dunno what you're looking for in atmosphere with black metal.

I dunno, OM is quite weak compared to Crugu Bradului and Maiastru Sfetnic...

maybe I should give more spins, but I think they have lost their identity with the new album.

Reverend Bizarre - III: So Long Suckers
Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde
Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao
Pain of Salvation - Scarsick
Demiurg - Breath of the Demiurg

My 2007 favorites so far:

Top 10 black metal (there has been TONS that I like, so the bottom of this list gets really shady):

1. Nae'blis - Sketches of Reality
2. Drowning the Light - To The End of Time (LP)/Through The Noose Of Existence (demo)/A World Long Dead (LP)
3. Hypothermia - Rakbladsvalsen
4. Inquisition - Nefarious Dismal Orations
5. Graveland - Will Stronger Than Death
6. Sacrificia Mortuorum - Maturum Est
7. Be Persecuted - II
8. Walknut - Graveforests And Their Shadows
9. Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum
10. Dodsferd - Fucking Your Creation

Top other metal (heard almost no non-black metal):

1. Moonsorrow - V: Havitetty
2. Helritt - Trotzend Dem Niedergang
3. Ensiferum - Victory Songs
4. Asunder - Works Come Undone (Hail Weakling!)

Top other stuff in no order:

Lustmord - Juggernaut
Fennesz + Sakamoto - Cendre
Eluvium - Copia
Jesu - Conqueror
Rhys Chatham - 400 Electric Guitars
Atrium Carceri - Ptahil
God is an Astronaut - Far From Refuge
Denzel & Huhn - Paraport
Hikikomori - Jamendo
Maserati - Changes For The New Season
William Basinski - Shortwavemusic
Hp.stonji - Syntonum
Amon Tobin - The Foley Room

That list of other stuff is all post-rock or some combination of experimental/ambient/electronic.

Favorite song of 2007 so far:

Moonsorrow - "Jäästä Syntynyt / Varjojen Virta"

I dunno, OM is quite weak compared to Crugu Bradului and Maiastru Sfetnic...
100% agree. Maiastru Sfetnic is one of my all-time black favorites, while OM I hardly even consider black at all.

I don't think they have necessarily lost their identity, just changed it. OM is folk/progressive much more than black metal. For people that are more into that kind of stuff, the change has been a good thing.

Negura Bunget is in the same category as Shining for me. Old stuff is incredible black metal, new stuff is much less incredible folk/avant/whatever but most importantly: not "really" black metal.

I could probably name at least 75 excellent, quality releases from 2006, especially in regards to black metal. Last year was a phenomenal year for metal.
Seriously... not sure how you can like atmospheric bm and not like 2006. The year was fucking packed with good stuff, but just mentioning one is enough to make the point:

The Ruins of Beverast

Seriously... not sure how you can like atmospheric bm and not like 2006. The year was fucking packed with good stuff, but just mentioning one is enough to make the point:

The Ruins of Beverast

The Ruins of Beverast was among my top ten.

My favourite black metal albums of 2006:
Wedard - Einsamer Winterweg
Bishop of Hexen - The Nightmarish Compositions
Anti - The Insignificance of Life
The Ruins of Beverast - Rain Upon the Impure
Sombre Chemin - Notre Héritage Ancestral
Peste Noire - La Sanie des Siècles - Panégyrique De La Dégénerescence
Negurã Bunget - Om
Stielas Storhett - Vandrer...
Sterbend - Dwelling Lifeless
Sarkom - Aggravation of Mind
Secrets of the Moon - Antithesis
Keep of Kalessin - Armada
Antaeus - Blood Libels
Gorgoroth - Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam
Anaal Nathrakh - Eschaton
Epheles - Souviens-Toi (technically re-released)
Koldbrann - Moribund
etc.

And Dornenreich's "Durch Den Traum" was my favourite overall album. Also Wormphlegm, Agalloch, Ahab, Autumnal, Panzerchrist, Moonspell, Monarch etc.

So by comparison 2006 is aeons better than 2007.