Into Eternity - The Scattering of Ashes
Queensryche - OM2
Lamb of God - Sacrament
Iron Maiden - A Matter....
Slayer - Christ Illusion

------
honorable mention:

Benedictum - Uncreation
Eidolon - The Parallel Otherworld (anyone hear Romeo's solo on this album?)
Adagio - Dominate (although technically this was Dec. 2005)

...and The Black Halo was released in Sept. 2005. :erk:

Everyone's forgetting one of the greatest ones to come out this year:

Edguy - Rocket Ride

I think I've listened to it more than any other release this year.

Others:

Vanden Plas - Christ 0
Blind Guardian - A Twist in the Myth
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocalypse

Ptah Khnemu said:
Wasn't QR in 2005 also?

O:M II was released April 4, 2006 (US)

Also, edguy was among their worst works to date. I think it was cool their sense of humor, as that always is fun, but the songwriting was just below par. They are more of a live band anyhow IMO. Fucking amazing live.

Snowmaker said:
People always hate the latest CD from a band because it doesn't sound just like that person's favorite CD of there's. I don't get it.
That's why after Dragonforce stops playing every single one of their songs in Mixolydian and at 1401793250791238561297361 bpm, there are gonna be riots.

And I can't wait.

Ptah Khnemu said:
That's why after Dragonforce stops playing every single one of their songs in Mixolydian and at 1401793250791238561297361 bpm, there are gonna be riots.

And I can't wait.
Either that or churn out political lyrics as opposed to the usual.

Mercenary-The Hours that Remain
Seventh Wonder-Waiting in the Wings
Scar Symmetry-Pitch Black Progress
Into Eternity-The Scattering of Ashes
Devin Townsend-Synchestra
Toto-Falling In Between
Frost-Milliontown
Beyond Twilight-For Love and the Art of the Making

other decent ones by

Rage
Thessera
Andromeda
SYL
Blind Guardian
Pyramaze

still digesting albums by

Tomorrow's Eve, Mind Flow, To-Mera...all sounding good but can't rate them yet.

yeah rocketride was unfortunately a real disappointment after works like hellfire club and mandrake..

the best for me so far this year of course is Scar Symmetry's Pitch Black Progress, and Amon Amarth's With Oden On Our Side.. these two have been absolutely smashed to death on my ipod..

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I change my mind!

Wuthering Heights - The Shadow Cabinet is definitely among the top 5 albums of the year.

I JUST ordered Dominate. I still don't own it, but I ordered Dominate within 10 minutes of ordering a chain mail shirt. So it's that much more special.

was Dominate ever finally released in the US, i don't remember it ever being announced and i've never seen it in stores here or in Canada. I've been trying to hold out and not pay double price to get the import, but it's been looking like that's what's going to have to happen. BTW, wasn't that an '05 release?

It was so late in '05 that I'm considering it an '06 release, because I'm so mad at myself about the fact that it took me this long to get it.