Best album of 2009 thus far?

Anaal Nathrakh - Constellation

I love Mean Machine's idea of keeping some sort of running list. Too often something comes along that bumps the previous thing and you totally forget about it for ages. That's me and the Conan soundtrack which I picked up at a garage sale last year ...

Amorphis - Skyforger
Tyr - By the Light of the Northern Sky
Ava Inferi - Blood of Bacchus
Black Sun Aeon - Darkness Walks Beside Me

I don't think there's been anything better than these albums.

Marc, have you heard the Avi Inferi? You've usually heard everything, so could be a silly question, but if not, check it out.

Hey, I'm new here. Been a long time NeO fan for about a year now, ever since I heard the Aurora Veil on my friend's iPod.

This year so far for me? Top spot goes to Augury - Fragmentary Evidence

I just found this band Augury and album last week and it's already up there with Opeth, Cynic, and The Faceless for me. Normally it would've gone to something like Crack the Skye, etc. but I was pretty blown away by the mastery of soundscapes these guys have. They merge everything from jazz fusion, to technical death, to folk, to black metal.

What the fuck kind of voodoo magic these guys use to produce this caliber of music, considering how unbelievably unknown they still are, I will never know.

Give 'em a listen or two

Blut Aus Nord - MV II

^This. One of the most awesome guitar albums in recent years. There are some unbelievably beautiful and uplifting melodies to be found, but at the same time the whole record really packs a punch.

Cobalt's Gin, Drudkh's Microcosmos and the new Be'lakor album follow close behind as numbers 2,3 and 4.

How does Augury's new album compare to their debut? I've been meaning to get Concealed for ages, but now they have two albums out I'm not sure what to get.

Cobalt - Gin
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Kylesa - Static Tensions
DTP - Ki
Blut Aus Nord - MVII: Dialogue with the Stars
Ava Inferi - Blood of Bacchus
Hallucinogen - In Dub: Live
Mournful Congregation - The June Frost
Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions
Austere - To Lay Like Old Ashes
Bluetech - The Divine Invasion
Code - Resplendent Grotesque