Best of 2010 thus far...

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
Ah yes, my yearly tradition of getting ahead of the game and seeing what's in the running so far for the year's best releases, when the year is not yet half over.

So far I'd put forward these albums (ABC order, I can't rank yet):

Ares Kingdom - Incendiary
Burzum - Belus
Dark Tranquillity - We Are the Void

Hah, that reminds me how much more I need to get brand new stuff. Hence, this thread. Go!

00-pensees_nocturnes-grotesque-2010.JPG

My favorite right now. I have none of my music with me so I honestly don't even remember what I have from this year but it's been pretty good so far I think.

All I can think of that really struck me as a great release this year has been Belus..I've spent most of this year just catching up on old albums from the 90s that I've missed

Against Nature - Drawing Arrows

hour of 13,apostle of solitude and hooded menace are not that good so far..2010 is either really lame or im totally out of the loop

So far 2010 is lagging behind 2009 for quality releases.

In Mourning - Monolith

I haven't checked We Are the Void yet, need to do that. A lot of solid releases, but this year is lacking in the spectacular. Expecting big things from The Panic Broadcast though.

I see a consensus on Ares Kingdom. Been spinning that constantly for a couple weeks. Can't put it down.

And the new DT is quite good. Not as great as Fiction, but grows on you after a few listens.

So far these are my favorite from 2010.

Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones
Immolation - Majesty And Decay
Negură Bunget - Măiestrit
Imperium Dekadenz - Procella Vadens
Hooded Menace - Never Cross the Dead
Vasaeleth - Crypt Born & Tethered to Ruin
Altar of Plagues - Tides EP
Blood of Kingu - Sun in the House of the Scorpion
The Grotesquery - Tales of the Coffin Born
Defeated Sanity - Chapters of Repugnance
Horn - Distanz
Nightbringer - Apocalypse Sun
Burzum - Belus
Black Tusk - Taste The Sin

Ever since I began Morbid Knocking, I have tried to do my best to keep up with what's supposed to be coming out and what's already out. I'm lagging a bit this year due to financial reasons, but I just got a handful of new releases that should change that once I've been able to digest them. And I disagree with the lack of quality this year, but then again the majority of you don't share my tastes (and honestly most likely don't put as time and effort into absorbing new albums as I try to do, especially when I intend to review them). From what I've heard and digested so far this year, these are certainly notable:

Burzum - Belus
Vasaeleth - Crypt-Born & Tethered to Ruin
Briton Rites - For Mircalla (that riff is the best on the album, ASD, don't be a faggot)
Demontage - The Principle Extinction
Züül - Out of Time
Master - The Human Machine (barring the breakdowns)

I expect to have preliminary thoughts on the following in the next couple weeks:

A Forest of Stars - Opportunistic Thieves of Spring
Cauldron Black Ram - Slubberdegullion
Dødsengel - Mirium Occultum
Nightbringer - Apocalypse Sun
Apostle of Solitude - Last Sunrise

Burzum-Belus

That's really the only album from this year that I've really liked.

Still need to hear the Triptykon album more, only really listened to a little bit.

So far favorites have been:

Wuthering Heights - Salt
Heathen - The Evolution of Chaos
Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide
Sigh - Scenes from Hell
Pensees Nocturnes - Grotesque
Ikuinen kaamos - Fall of Icons
Ihsahn - After

Not sure whether I like Negura Bunget - Virstele Pamintului or not. I initially thought it was boring, but it really seems to be growing on me. The Ocean - Heliocentric is another one I can't make my mind up on.

Overkill - Ironbound was pretty good too. Black Majesty - In Your Honour was decent but some faster songs wouldn't have hurt.

So far favorites have been:

Wuthering Heights - Salt
Heathen - The Evolution of Chaos
Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide
Sigh - Scenes from Hell
Pensees Nocturnes - Grotesque
Ikuinen kaamos - Fall of Icons
Ihsahn - After

Not sure whether I like Negura Bunget - Virstele Pamintului or not. I initially thought it was boring, but it really seems to be growing on me. The Ocean - Heliocentric is another one I can't make my mind up on.

Overkill - Ironbound was pretty good too. Black Majesty - In Your Honour was decent but some faster songs wouldn't have hurt.
Ironbound was 2010? I thought it was 2009.

Anyway seeing them in November, fuck yeah.

Hour of 13 - The Ritualist
Briton Rites - For Mircalla
Vasaeleth - Crypt Born and Tethered to Ruin
Kerasphorus - Cloven Hooves at the Holocaust Dawn
Züül - Out of Time

Stuff I have but haven't listened to as extensively.

Apostle of Solitude - Last Sunrise
Blasphemophagher - ...For Chaos, Obscurity and Desolation...
Cemetery Urn - The Conquered Are Burned
Defeated Sanity - Chapters of Repugnance
Swallowed - Swallowed

All good stuff. This year has been great.