Best album of 2009 thus far?

just one? or can we break it down into international/local/metal/non-metal?

ill do it anyway :p

local metal: Stone's Reach, safe to say it will not be beaten for the rest of this year.
international metal: hmm....Anaal Nathrakh seems pretty 'complete' in terms of no dead tracks and a really cohesive sound, Amesoeurs was getting a good spin on my player too...i thought i was going to love Samael's 'Above' but a lot of the tracks get repetitious and follow a similar sort of formula.
non-metal: that NASA album is on in my car all the time, heaps of variety, great beats, awesome vocal talents.

maudlin of the Well - Part the Second
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
The Decemberists - Hazards of Love

I'm gonna be a lazy fuck and copy my post from Ozprog:

I'm actually keeping a list of every album I listen to this year, in order from best to worst. Of course it'll change around until the end of the year as I listen to albums more though. http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Mean_Machine/two_thousand_and_nine

Top 10 albums:
1. Be'lakor - Stone's Reach
2. Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs
3. Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
4. Devin Townsend - Ki
5. Solstafir - Kold
6. Eleventh He Reaches London - Hollow Be My Name
7. Tangled Thoughts of Leaving/sleepmakeswaves - Revised Split Master
8. Arthemesia - a.O.a
9. Iron and Wine - Norfolk 6/20/05
10. Heirs - Alchera

Top 5 EP's:
1. Pelican - Ephemeral
2. Bohren und der Club of Gore - Mitleid Lady
3. The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble - Mutations
4. Nachtmystium - Doomsday Derelicts
5. Cloudkicker - The Map Is Not The Territory

I wouldn't usually include live releases in my top 10, but the Iron and Wine album is probably the best live release I've ever heard.

Disappointing albums of the year so far are Karnivool and Isis :(

New Isis was awesome, what are you talking about!!

I've only been particularly blown away by Solstafir and Eleventh He Reaches London so far. Fen was good but not quite that good. Same with Isis and Amesoeurs, and Drudkh (although I've only given that one listen so far).

Yet to buy Be'lakor.

Disappointing albums of the year so far are Karnivool and Isis :(

I haven't heard new ISIS yet (everytime i go to Jb hi fi it's not there and I'm trying to resist downloading as they're one of my fav bands..)

But KARNIVOOL's 'Sound Awake' is one of the best albums I have heard in a long time and so far is EASILY my album of the year, potentially one of my all time fav's, and I'll be absolutely shocked if anything comes close to it for the rest of 2009.

Did I mention I think the new Karnivool album is not too bad?

But KARNIVOOL's 'Sound Awake' is one of the best albums I have heard in a long time and so far is EASILY my album of the year, potentially one of my all time fav's, and I'll be absolutely shocked if anything comes close to it for the rest of 2009.

Did I mention I think the new Karnivool album is not too bad?

you should have a listen to one of my favourite bands tim, i think you'll really dig them, they're called Tool and they released some amazing cds a few years ago called Undertow, Aenima and Lateralus :lol:

Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire: This is my fav from the last couple of years.

Honourable mentions:
Memoria Vetusta II - Dialogue with the Stars is mighty good except for the fucking ride cymbal on it, does my head in!
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Exivious - Exivious (has Tymon who played on Traced in Air) - Awesome blend of fusion and metal.
Karnivool - Sound Awake (although a departure from the sound from Themata which I LOVED.. the vocal lines/hooks on this album are soo plentiful)

...so far I'm liking....

Samael - Above
Leprous - Tall Poppy Syndrome
Black Sun Aeon - Darkness Walks Beside Me
Nahemah - A New Constellation
Anaal Nathrakh - In the Constellation of the Black Widow

Heh, once again, another one I cant get into (and I LOVE You Are There). Im thinking I build albums up too much in my head, then when they are not complete musical perfection I die a little inside. New Isis, musically is great, but the vocals ruin it for me. Just really uninspired, boring hardcore grunts. Karnivool... I do think its a great release. However I guess I was expecting an OMG AURALGASM release, and it just didnt grab me like the first one did...all those years ago...*sniff* :(

Exivious - Exivious
Obscura - Cosmogenesis
Oh and I think the Animals as Leaders album will definately be up there once I get it. Can't wait!! I also saw that Brendan is a big fan of that album!! \m/

Exivious - Exivious
Obscura - Cosmogenesis
Oh and I think the Animals as Leaders album will definately be up there once I get it. Can't wait!! I also saw that Brendan is a big fan of that album!! m/

I heard a rumour Muhammed (Necrophagist) might be working with Tosin Abasi.

Don't know how much credibility there is behind it, though.

I need more time to buy more albums when they come out! I find downloading cheapens the deal.

So far...
The Project Hate - The Lustrate Process.

Keep in mind that I haven't heard Stone's Reach yet (don't hurt me), but will pick it up soon.

I need more time to buy more albums when they come out! I find downloading cheapens the deal.

true on one hand, but on the other i don't think i have the cash to do justice to the amount of music that i listen to :zipit: gonna have to cut corners somewhere!
i like buying cds by local bands, cause it's usually helping out and showing some support for my friends, but buying every single album i've ever listened to would probably send me bankrupt -.-