Does ANYONE have any BWBK fest news?

woosta

Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
To me, this is the sister show for ProgPower (and Chicago is becoming an additional sibling). It gets me through the first half of the year but thus far, I've heard nothing about any dates, bands, etc. Turnout was said to be the "best ever" last year so certainly they wouldn't end on THAT note would they?

After last year...

Does anyone care? LMAO

Just kidding, I'd love to see them getting good bands this year. Not simply adding a bunch of touring bands who I could watch elsewhere!

I never said it wasn't nice. I just said it could have been a lot nicer if they chose to get other bands as opposed to those. By that I mean bands that maybe did not play the US last year, or something. =)

I went to the first 2 BW&BK festivals. The first one was really on a whim as a bunch of friends were going and it sounded like a fun metal vacation/road trip. Going in I knew Jag Panzer and Falconer and that was really it. I was looking forward to seeing the acoustic show where Tim "Ripper" Owens, Ben Jackson (crimson Glory) and Pete Way (UFO) were performing. Along the way as we listened to a ton of metal CDs, I became a big fan of one of the pre-party bands, Aftershok! They were the whole reason we left a day early and it was totally worth it! They're a great old school metal band. American Dog opened up the fest and I thought they were great too. If you like Jackyl then you'll love American Dog! Elegy was third and really good. They'd go over great at PPUSA! Ian Parry has a great voice and guitarist Patrick Rondat was awesome! I enjoyed Falconers performance because I really liked Kristoffer Gobel. Too bad he's not with them anymore. Nevermore headlined the first day but really didn't do much for me (sorry Zod). Maybe It's because that was my first fest and I was exausted. The next day I enjoyed watching Wolf and Evergrey although I didn't really become a big Evergrey fan until their killer performance at PPIV later that year. Jag Panzer was awesome and the headliners, Trouble and Candlemass were fun to watch. Overall I had a fun weekend, discovered some great bands and got some cool autographs.

The next year was almost tailor made for me! Primal Fear, Brainstorm, Doro, Grave Digger, Metal Church, Seven Witches, Shok Paris and Ion Vein ... Holy Shit this was a power metal fan's wet dream! On top of all that we also got to see our buddies Aftershok play the pre-party again and Ben Jackson and Midnight played a killer acoustic set of Crimson Glory material. Along with the last 3 PP's, this was one of the best weekends of my life!

Last year however, I didnt even bother to go. Unfortunately, BW&BK lost a bunch of money the first 2 years so Clear Channel stepped in, threw in some cash and booked a bunch of Death metal bands (or at least a bunch of bands with death/growl vocals) that I had no interest in at all. The only things that did interest me was Chris Caffery and Jag Panzer who I'd seen twice by then. Plus I would have loved to have seen Russell Allen's acoustic set but that wasn't enough to justify the cost of everything. Instead I went to Chicago PowerFest and had a great time seeing Tad Morose, Morgana LeFay, Ion Vein and Warmachine!

Hopefully they'll have another BW&BK fest this year. If they do, I just hope for a better/more diverse lineup than last year or I'll have to pass again.

If this is ProgPower's sister, than it's her ugly sister.

The first year of this festival kicked ass. I had planned on making an annual pilgrimage to this fest, but the line-ups have been so awful, I haven't bothered.

I spoke to one of the guys involved with BW & BK. He said they'd like to do it, but weren't sure if they would.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
ProgPower vs. Heathen Crusade.
We can only hope Heathen Crusade is run half as well as PP. Though, that might be a lot to ask, the first time around. As long as it goes off well enough for it to continue on. However, if it does continue on, I have one word for the promoters:

Vegas!

Minnesota is no place for humans in January.

Zod

I have no expectations for Heathen to be run even half as well as PP, and that's no disrespect to the guys putting on this great show. It's just that Glenn does fests right. I think any promoter could learn a thing or 2 from him.

It was up in the air when I spoke to Mark (Marc??) Gromen at the Kamleot show in NYC....
IMO, that is a bad sign, because Glenns fest is later in the year, and he already has some bands frinalized. Just my .02 for whatever that is worth.
Also - Chicago Powerfest ... I think C Lo announced some bands already, right?

MadeInNewJersey said:
I have no expectations for Heathen to be run even half as well as PP, and that's no disrespect to the guys putting on this great show. It's just that Glenn does fests right. I think any promoter could learn a thing or 2 from him.
As long as :worship:Primordial:worship: shows up, I'm happy.

Zod

Haven't heard anything either. Stick a fork in it............ :D

woosta said:
To me, this is the sister show for ProgPower (and Chicago is becoming an additional sibling). It gets me through the first half of the year but thus far, I've heard nothing about any dates, bands, etc. Turnout was said to be the "best ever" last year so certainly they wouldn't end on THAT note would they?