Best album of 2009 thus far?

How does Augury's new album compare to their debut? I've been meaning to get Concealed for ages, but now they have two albums out I'm not sure what to get.

That's like asking which of your two children is dearest to you, honestly. If we were talking about a band that's inconsistent then it's very clear cut which album between a couple is the best but in this case I can't decide for you because it's quality all around. Fragmentary Evidence has quite a bit of polish and intrigue, but then so does Concealed. It's sort of like any good progressive band like Opeth or Cynic: it's worth hearing every album because the focus is so different on each album and which is better is all a matter of preference. Most people are willing to admit that every song they produce is still a quality piece of work regardless of whether your favourite is Morningrise or Still Life and it's hard to deny that otherwise.

That said, I prefer Fragmentary Evidence but the same may not apply to you. It focuses less on the operatic vocals and more on polish fleshing out their different styles (jazz fusion/folk/brutal technical death). Also, one of the songs near the end of the album has one of the coolest segments in a death metal song I've ever heard that really catches you by surprise, but I won't ruin it by telling you what it is. You'll know when you hear it!

Hope that in some way helps you decide, haha, but it really is a tough decision for me to try and make for you.

I agree with Sloogs! The new Augury is fucking intense I picked it up a few days ago and it hasn't left my discman yes I'm old school and I still have a discman! It'll probably be in my top 5 releases this year. I don't have Augury's first album, but they were here last November with Dismember and they fucking slayed. They're coming back this November with Vader so I'll probably pick up their first album then. :kickass:

Joel

So far my absolute favorite album this year has been Persefone's Shin-Ken. I've been listening to that practically non-stop since I got it, and it still hasn't lost its flair.

As for some others I found decent:

Altar of Plague's White Tomb
Ignivomous's Death Transmutation
Kathaarsys's Anonymous Ballad
Mastodon's Crack the Skye
Wolves in the Throne Room's Black Cascade

metal: Cobalt - Gin
aus metal: Austere - To Lay Like Old Ashes
non-metal: Solstafir - Kold (used to be BM, but it's now nothing like their original sound, almost psychedelic rock)

honourable mention: John Frusciante - The Empyrean (very much non-metal)

New Diablo Swing Orchestra is awesome, check it out guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that's what I thought too... A little less random, more focused but not quite as interesting version of Unexpect. Pretty good album though, I think a bit of an improvement over The Butchers Ballroom. Although the male singer on SASftDaD reminds me a bit of the Count from Sesame St at times. Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing though.

Come to think of it, does anyone know of any metal covers of Sesame St songs? A Metalized version of Captain Vegetable or the Batty Bat would be freaking awesome if done properly I reckon. I remember Game Over (Aus pop-punk band) did a cover of the Sesame St theme song back in the nineties which was moderately amusing, but I haven't heard any metal bands do anything like that.

Anyway back on topic... Favorite albums so far this year in no order:

Arcane - Chronicles of the Waking Dream
Propagandhi - Supporting Caste
Finsterforst _ ...Zun Tode Hin
Be'lakor - Stone's Reach
Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest Floor
Bann - Aeschatologia
Pensees Nocturnes - Vaccum
Nachtreich - Sturmgang
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Singalong songs for the etc.
Eyefear - The Unseen (I think came out late 2008, but apparently only available in Australia Jan 2009, so I'll put it here.)

Probably going to be between a tough choice between Arcane and Propagandhi for #1 for 2009 for me.

I'm also going to use my o_Omagic psychic powerso_O and call that the best album of 2010 is going to be the new Ne Obliviscaris album.

Have to mention a few obscure albums that are at the top of my 2009 list:

Slavogorje - Zimsko Krzno

Nature-influenced black metal from Croatia, with very melancholic and dark riffing, and stunning ambient sections.

Skagos - Ást

Black metal from Canada that is influenced by WITTR, but is much better (IMO). Imagine a darker Falls Of Rauros, with those awesome acoustic sections.

Helcaraxë - Broadsword

Viking death metal of the highest order, from the US (New Jersey). Quite melodic, yet ballsy. Just about as epic as death metal can get, I think. The MO is: insane bass, crushing riffs, tremolo picked melodies, and vocals that sound like a viking roaring. It's a damn shame no-one seems to have heard of this awesome band. Great guys too.

Definite favorites of 2009 have been mentioned in the thread already, and have actually reminded me, lol

Project Hate MCMXCIX - The Lustrate Process; it's too bad that they're having monetary struggles with the internet downloading phenomena... the quintessential symphonic/industrial death metal band IMO. I doooon't think they've quite topped AME, though.
Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire; Absolutely stunning performance by these brutal tech death giants. They need waaay more recognition, and this album just blew me away. Cohesive Chaos describes this album.
Unholy Matrimony - Croire, Decroitre; I'm a big fanboy of Vladimir Cochet of Mirrorthrone fame, but I think he's released the most solid black metal album this year. It's brutal, atmospheric, and has a malevolent sense of melody at the same time, each song offering something new and exciting. Unlike Mirrorthrone where some songs seem pretentious, Croire, Decroitre is a black metal masterpiece.