3. Eldritch - Portrait of the abyss within
4. Necrophagist - Epitaph
5. Into Eternity - Burried in obliveon
6. Orphaned Land - Mabool
7. Spastic Ink - Ink compatible
8. Division - Trinity
9. Ayreon - The human equation
10. Exodus - Tempo of the damned

It's way too early to be posting these IMO. There is still 10 weeks left in the year for stuff to come out and you never know which late release might blow your ass outta the water. Case in point: the new Silent Force came out two weeks ago and I can definitely say that it will be in the top 5, for sure!

So something might come out in late November/early December and destroy something you had previously on your list. So I'll wait to post mine.

MetalRose said:
He said nothing about being released in 2004! I just assumed that it was your personal top albums of the year. Plus I didn't get mine until PPV... So it was new to me in 2004. :)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

-MetalRose

I work that way too. If I beat it to death in that year even though it came out the year previous, that's still gotta count.

Plus that also can say that the particular album is so goddamn good that it can bleed into the new year and be counted again! :Spin:

pyramazekeyboardist said:
just curious what everyone's top 5 of the year are so far. ill post my list soon
:headbang:
#1 After Forever - Invisible Circles
#2 Mercenary - 11 Dreams
#3 Magnitude 9 - Decoding The Soul
#4 Orphaned Land - Mabool
#5 Vision Divine 0 Stream Of Consciousness

I can't stop now

#6 Into Eternity - Buried In Oblivion
#7 Pyramaze - Melancholy Beast
#8 Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake
#9 Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden
#10 Eldritch - Portrait To The Abyss Within

note: I had Tad Morose - Modus Vivendi as my #3, but found out it was a 2003 release, so I removed it.

Something in the back of my mind tells me that Modus Vivendi wasn't released in the USA until early 2004, but I could be wrong. The disc I own does say 2003 on it.

Walter_Langkowski said:
I work that way too. If I beat it to death in that year even though it came out the year previous, that's still gotta count.

Plus that also can say that the particular album is so goddamn good that it can bleed into the new year and be counted again! :Spin:

It's always hard to decide what to do with those discs that are released late in the year. I think the best thing to do is compile a top 20 or 30 for the year in like February of the next year. It then gives you a bit of time to maybe absorb that late year release and get it added into your list properly. It's not an exact science, that's for sure :)

1. Persuader - Evolution Purgatory

The rest in no order:
Edguy - Hellfire Club
Wurthering Heights - Far From the Madding Crowd
Metal Church - The Weight of the World

Dunno about the 5th slot yet. There are still a bunch of CDs I should be getting in the mail soon (Iron Savior, Dragonforce, etc). And I havn't listened to others enough to judge (Jag Panzer, Symphorce, Aryeon, Mercenary, Threshold). Too much good music :)

Whew, this is a toughie....and shucks, Whispers In Rage is a 2003 release.

#1 is Ayreon, The Human Equation. But it's two CDs, so that's a bit unfair. :)

Others in my top 5 in no particular order:

Mercenary, 11 Dreams
Nightwish, Once
Old Man's Child, In Defiance of Existence
Into Eternity, Buried In Oblivion

Some CDs I haven't heard yet, but which will no-doubt score well: Angra, Fate's Warning, Sonata Arctica, forthcoming Superior double-live.

Honorable mentions: Dreamscape, PoS (this one is climbing), Disarmonia Mundi, Bella Morte, Cradle of Filth, Children of Bodom.

And of course, the other 5 or 10 CDs I can't think of right now. :)

I've been listening to:

Fates Warning - FWX
Megadeth - The System Has Failed
Dead Soul Tribe - January Tree

I need to know the following from people out here:

-I see that somebody has the Riverside cd, do you highly recommend it? A friend told me that I should get it and that I won't be disappointed.

-I've noticed the new Nightwish on here quite often. First few Nightwish cds didn't rope me in, but the video I've seen on Headbanger's I really like the song to. Do you recommend the cd, and if so, why....

BABS said:
I've noticed the new Nightwish on here quite often. First few Nightwish cds didn't rope me in, but the video I've seen on Headbanger's I really like the song to. Do you recommend the cd, and if so, why....

Nightwish has matured significantly with each release since their first CD, "Angels Fall First". IMO, "Once" is their best and will be very, very difficult to top. It's truly "movie-score" metal. Totally amazing.

Tarja is in total control and doesn't "over-do" it as I thought she did on many of the early CDs. If you listend to "Century Child" and didn't care for it, then you probably wouldn't care for "Once", as "Once" picks up where "Century Child" left off, but with the addition of huge orchestral arrangements and beautiful choirs. Tarja at her absolute best. Tuomas and the gang left poured their hearts and souls into this one.

So far........

1 - Dreamscape - End of Silence

2 - Threshold - Subsurface

3 - Evergrey - Inner Circle

4 - Suncaged (yeah, it came out in 2003 but I only got it this year)

LUDMER said:
Exodus ~ Tempo of the Damned
Blaze ~ Blood and Belief
Symphorce ~ Twice Second
Iced Earth ~ The Glorious Burden
I have to think about the last one :confused:

:err: thought we discussed this already! Danzig :p and I never ended up agreeing on the IE album, although I like it very much it would be in my top 10...not 5 :p

Ok, let's see if I can do this

Blaze-Blood and Belief
Symphorce-Twice Second
Danzig-Circle of Snakes
Exodus-Tempo of the damned
now 5th slot for me could be either: Steel Prophet "Beware", COF "Nymphetamine", Shadows Fall "The War Within"... crap! I'll just wait until a top 10 thread comes along :dopey:

Pabla said:
:err: thought we discussed this already! Danzig :p and I never ended up agreeing on the IE album, although I like it very much it would be in my top 10...not 5 :p

Ok, let's see if I can do this

Blaze-Blood and Belief
Symphorce-Twice Second
Danzig-Circle of Snakes
Exodus-Tempo of the damned
now 5th slot for me could be either: Steel Prophet "Beware", COF "Nymphetamine", Shadows Fall "The War Within"... crap! I'll just wait until a top 10 thread comes along :dopey:
Oh sorry :rolleyes: , I didn't know this was a joint effort.
We still need to work on #5, none of those will get it for me. :Smug:

I also count Modus Vivendi by Tad Morose as a 2004 album because it was not officially released in America until February of 2004.

My top 5 albums so far are....

Edguy - Hellfire Club
Nightwish - Once
Exodus - Tempo Of The Damned
Tad Morose - Modus Vivendi
Metal Church - Weight Of The World

ok and to fill in slots 6-10

Cans - Beyond The Gates
TNT - My Religion
Thunderstone - The Burning
Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden
Dionysus - Anima Mundi