Albums with a bad reputation that you like

TRrEiTxIxRiE DTrash

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2001
What albums that are generally regarded as being crap and most people hate, that you reckon is cool and don't understand why people bag it?

Here are some of mine:

King Diamond - The Graveyard (1996)
For some reason this is regarded his worst (or one of... I think Voodoo and House Of God aren't very well liked) album, and I can't see why! Firstly, the style of the album is the same as all his other ones so it's not like there is anything on the album that fans would disagree with... so the only thing left is the songs. And personally I think The Graveyard has some of his best songs, and has NO filler at all, a great atmosphere, great storyline (though not as whacky and weird as some of his others). It's definitely up with Conspiracy and The Eye in my opinion, and I like it better than Them!

Black Sabbath - The Eternal Idol (1987), The Headless Cross (1989) & TYR (1990)
Tony Martin era Black Sabbath gets bagged all the time coz it doesn't sound like Black Sabbath. Well, true it doesn't hahaha, so I can understand why lots of old Black Sabbath fans hate it. But personally these are probably my three favourite Black Sabbath albums! He has a great voice, the songs are awesome, and I prefer this catchy keyboard driven melodic metal sound than their sludgy doomy stuff for sure.

Guns 'N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II (1991)
I like this just about as much as Appetite For Destruction now. So it's not as hard rockin' and metal sounding, who gives a shit? With the exception of a couple of tracks, pretty much every song on this album is awesome in some way, and it also has my favourite Gunners songs ever, "You Could Be Mine" and "Civil War".

Metallica - Metallica (1991)
Oooh ooh it's not thrashy. Who gives a fuck. Awesome songs, awesome production, classic riffs, good choruses, the only album where Kirk's guitar solos are really good.. it rocks. Just get rid of "Nothing Else Matters" and shorten "Sad But True" so its not so boring and it'd be even better.

Kiss - Crazy Nights (1987)
Probably the most criticized Kiss album because of its really commercial keyboard soaked pop-metal production and lack of the sex charged sleaze attitude that characterized most Kiss stuff. People either love or hate this album, I'm definitely in the "love" category. I'm sure Spiff will agree. This has some of Kiss' best songs ever, and along with Lick It Up it probably has the least filler out of any Kiss album too. Bruce's solos are also EXCELLENT and very underrated. And "Reason To Live" is possibly the best Kiss ballad.

Judas Priest - Turbo (1986)
Definitely in my top 5 Priest albums, probably my 4th favourite after Painkiller, Defenders Of The Faith and Ram It Down. I love the sound on this!!! The synths sound awesome, the commercial feel is great, love the choruses... also has some of my favourite Priest songs like Turbo Lover, Locked In, Reckless and especially Out In The Cold! I can see why some of the fans didn't like it but I can't see why they were soooooo against it and how they could actually like Jugulator or Demolition or even Point Of Entry and some of the '70s ones more!

King Kobra - III (1988)
There's mixed reactions to this... alot of metal fans do like it. But alot of KK fans didn't because Mark Free, Johnny Rod (WASP) and Mick Sweda (Bulletboys) had all left before this album to join other bands. So this is Carmine Appice with a bunch of new unknown guys! And it doesn't sound as classy as the first 2 albums, but I think it kicks arse! "Take It Off" is such an awesome song!!! Not the Kiss one by the way, however there are 2 songs on this written by Kiss (It's My Life and Legends Never Die).

Megadeth - Youthanasia (1994)
Alot of people bag this too. I think it kills Countdown To Extinction. Better songs, better riffs, alot heavier, and more energy. Far less mechanical. No real standout tracks though, just a really solid slab of great '90s metal from start to finish, with some really nice lead guitars too.

Slaughter - The Wild Life (1992)
So many times I've seen it written that Stick It To Ya is an awesome debut, then this album sucks and they got back in form with their 3rd album Fear No Evil. Well I'm here to say that this is their BEST album. It's pretty much exactly the same as Stick It To Ya so I don't know why those people are complaining, and the only differences are that it has better production, better guitar sound, better songs, and a better flow where they kick into much more effective grooves, etc. Great album! "Reach For The Sky" is a killer opener too, and "Real Love" is their best ballad, and one of the most underrated hair metal ballads.

That's all I can think of :)

St Anger, Load and Re-Load.
Alot of people won't give these albums a go because of the change in style, but that doesn't automatically make them shit. I can understand why people may not like them, but it shits me to tears when people bag Metallica out for the wrong reasons. If you don't like the albums, fine, don't listen to them, but I think they are great, and there is some killer material on each one.

The X Factor
One of my favourite Maiden albums, along with SIT and NOTB. Blaze's voice is not at its best, but suits the mood of the album perfectly. Also the production is not that great, but I think the sluggish muddy sound suits the dark mood of the album, and songs like 'The Sign Of The Cross' sound so much better because of it. Some of Maiden's best and most mature material lies within this album. I just think it is ironic that Bruce left the band because he wanted to break the 'comic book' type of song writing etc, and be more serious with his songwriting, and after he has left Maiden make an album like this.
I also like VXI more than it gets credit for. Yes it isn't that great an album, but there is so much great stuff on there, and most of the not so good stuff does show great potential. It just doesn't sit well as an album overall.

So Far, So Good,...So What!
This one doesn't exactly have a bad reputation, but isn't really viewed as one of 'Deth's best albums, and it is easily my favourite. Absolute thrash heaven, with awesome raw sounding but still thick production, some of 'Deth's best songs (In My Darkest Hour, Hook In Mouth, Into The Lungs Of Hell), and the more filler type songs like '502' and 'Liar' are still great thrash tracks IMO. One of my all time fav albums.

I agree with Troops about Youthanasia being great, and I probably like it more than CTE as well. I actually think CTE is hugely overated and cannot really see why so many people pick it as their fav 'Deth album.

I also agree about GNR's UYI2. I probably like it more than Appetite, has some killer material on there.

Digimortal - Fear Factory
Slang - Def Leppard
Diabolus In Musica - Slayer
These Days - Bon Jovi

:headbang:

I'll third that Diabolus :headbang:...what was the problem with it...it still sounds like slayer to me on the album :loco:

St Anger is awesome too and Machineheads Burning Red and Supercharger are also both excellent albums

Another album I would like to add is 'Dio - Strange Highways'. Like SFSGSW, it isn't really a hated album with a bad reputation, but one that isn't really a favourite, and so many Dio fans have not heard. It would easily be one of my fav albums of his, probably equal with Holy Diver, it is that good. No filler, some awesome songs on there, some very strong songwriting from Ronnie. Another of my fav albums, that never gets much of a mention.

I think Diabolus is alot better than some other Slayer albums. It kills Divine Intervention for example. I think its a pretty good album for them. However, I don't like them really so none of their albums really do it for me these days, except maybe Show No Mercy if I'm in the right mood.

Bon Jovi - These Days = :puke: Their worst album easily.

The Trooper said:
Bon Jovi - These Days = :puke: Their worst album easily.

No, certainly NOT. Crush and Bounce are FAR worse. Every other album is great :)

Blitzkrieg said:
Yes, I think Appetite is very overated. :)

Diabolous is great, I don't think it is really an awesome album, but some great material. Bitter Peace, Death's Head, Stain Of Mind, Scrum, In The Name Of God = !:headbang:

Blitzy, you left out:

:worship: :worship: POINT :worship: :worship:

Van Halen 'III'
Tribe Of Judah 'Exit Elvis'
Megadeth 'Youthanasia'
Metallica 'Load'
Motley Crue 'Motley Crue'
Pantera 'Power Metal'

spawn said:
No, certainly NOT. Crush and Bounce are FAR worse. Every other album is great :)
Nah I prefer them because at least they have some good catchy rocky songs like One Wild Night, It's My Life, Everyday, etc. Those songs alone are better than anything on These Days in my opinion.

I might also add to this list though.....

Bon Jovi - 7800*F
I know it's not exactly known as a BAD album like the last 3, but it seems to be like the "forgotten" Bon Jovi album almost, nobody ever mentions it, and its awesome!!! It has some of Bon Jovi's BEST EVER songs, like "Price Of Love", "Only Lonely" and "Hardest Part Is The Night"! The only problem with the album is that there are a couple of songs that have to go... Tokyo Road and Silent Night. Everything else on it is AWESOME! I love their style on the first 2 albums... that kinda dark keyboard soaked melodic rock vibe is awesome!

Also I will add..

Pantera - Projects In The Jungle
This is Pantera's best album, hands down :D The only let down is the production but I don't mind it all that much anyway. It's the only Pantera album where every song is good! Even Power Metal has some filler in the 2nd half, but Projects In The Jungle just rules! And it has it all... great fist in the air metal anthems ("Heavy Metal Rules", "Projects In The Jungle"), awesome sleaze metal songs like "Like Fire", "All Over Tonight" and "Out For Blood" with heaaaaaps of energy, and really cool melodic rock songs with great keyboards like "In Over My Head", "Takin' My Life" and "Only A Heartbeat Away".