megadeth remasters, question!

zim18

Feb 11, 2006
ive been hearing some talk on the other board about how crappy the megadeth remasters were of the original albums (holy wars, so far so good so what, etc.)now when i bought holy wars over two years ago i was blown away with almost every track! i have heard the original song holy wars but i didnt notice anything different in the guitar solos but did notice how raspy dave's vocals were

would one be overexagerating by saying the remasters are horrible compared to the originals?

would the originals be worth finding/buying?

thanks in advance...

I think the remastered albums are just fine, but I know a lot of people like the originals better, as if it isn't the same exact shit with different(but really not all that different-sounding) production.

Buy whatever you want.

ive been hearing some talk on the other board about how crappy the megadeth remasters were of the original albums (holy wars, so far so good so what, etc.)now when i bought holy wars over two years ago i was blown away with almost every track! i have heard the original song holy wars but i didnt notice anything different in the guitar solos but did notice how raspy dave's vocals were

You mean the album Rust in Peace, right?
For that one I think the re-masters didn't work to well. It really changed the dynamics of the album from an analog to a digital sound. This worked for an album like Countdown because it already had a fairly sterile production, but with Rust it lost its edge.

There's also the problem with the vocals on the song "Take No Prisoners". According to Mustaine, they lost the master tape for that song and then vocals had to be re-done, and he didn't do as good of a job.

So in my opinion for the albums Countdown and on the re-masters weren't that bad. But I think for the earlier albums where they had a special feeling and production the re-masters didn't really do them justice.

I personally like the remasters for Rust in Peace or So far... because there were parts in the original ones that couldn't be appreciated, but Countdow to Extinction's sound was good enough, and the remaster makes it lose some weight, I think.

So in my opinion for the albums Countdown and on the re-masters weren't that bad. But I think for the earlier albums where they had a special feeling and production the re-masters didn't really do them justice.

Great point, and the real downer on re-masters. So, with many metal albums of yore, the production really sounds dated. The mistake made is to think that the album will sound better with new bells and whistles; and of course they rarely do. Albums generally (imo) sound better with the production of the age. I don't need to hear Beneath The Remains with a Sneap job - I think that it would ruin it.

Great point, and the real downer on re-masters. So, with many metal albums of yore, the production really sounds dated. The mistake made is to think that the album will sound better with new bells and whistles; and of course they rarely do. Albums generally (imo) sound better with the production of the age. I don't need to hear Beneath The Remains with a Sneap job - I think that it would ruin it.

i couldnt agree more, the old sepulturas weak production is what gave them that kickass sound, same goes with slayer