DARKTHRONE for a jazz/progrock snob.

frost_giant

Giant Member
Feb 8, 2006
I'm trying to get my friend who is into jazz, progrock and even some progmetal into more Black Metal, and I think Darkthrone would be a perfect band for him.

I know he should start with either of the "famous three" - A Blaze in the Northern Sky - Under a Funeral Moon - Transilvanian Hunger, but I am not sure which of them would be perfect for him.

Any advise? I need to prepare him, so that we can go to BM concerts together, but there's no enthusiasm yet(he liked Emperor's Prometheus when I played it to him, but that's not exactly a BM attitude).

Rock on dudes. :kickass:

um, there are better picks for the prog guys. perhaps borknagar, age of silence, OLD ephel duath (for more BM feel, newer for more abstract jazz) or any other post BM band. also, "undecieved" by extol has some techy parts that might appeal to a jazz/prog fan
~gR~

If hes into jazz stuff you'd want to show him Darkthrone's Soulside Journey. Theres more experimentation, especially ferniz' drumming.

How about show him some Avant Garde metal?

This sould work: First... Fleurety - "Department Of Apocalyptic Affairs", then
"Min Tid Skal Komme".

I think he already knows about these bands(maybe not Fleurety though).

It's just I want him to become a fellow BM fan and enjoy concerts of local BM bands together and stuff. Of course, we could both listen to the proggy/jazzy metal stuff, but that won't make him understand the atmospheric, raw and minimalistic side of BM. He's pretty open minded and I need something that would be closer to his tastes, yet would slowly lead to things like Mayhem, Immortal, etc.

I really can't screw up here, this guy is not simply my friend, I'd like him to be the drummer for the BM band I am writing songs for, lol, but he has no enthusiasm to play this kind of stuff.

Grand Decleration Of War from Mayhem would be a good starting point into black metal.
But truth is, even though Darkthrone is simple, primitive and damn proud of being so, they aren't so different than prog in some ways. For me, a big difference between what makes a band prog (Dream Theater, Section A, Death etc) and what makes a band tech (Watchtower, Spastic Ink, Atheist) isn't the complexity or the technical prowess of the music since many of those bands aren't really any better than the other, it is the atmosphere. A band like Green Carnation, who are one of my favorites, is considered prog, but they are not too complex or technical, they are very atmospheric. Although Darkthrone is harsh, simple, and primitive, if someone in into the atmosphere they may still enjoy it. That's how it started with me. There's a certain feeling and atmosphere in the music that draws you in, even though the whole image and "kvlt, tr00, gr1m, n3cr0" and whatever else people call it is ridiculous and pointless.

Enslaved's material post-Blodhemn work is a perfect blend or prog and bm to get someone into such a genre. It's like bm meets pink floyd

Soulside Journey while not being 'black metal' is probably the best thing to start him with darkthrone since the music is actually complex and intricate in a way for someone to notice. The compositions throughout the album are clear and interesting. Any darkthrone after that to a jazz or prog fan is not going to sound good.

Darkthrone while having real black metal albums might not be the best thing to start with for the genre. This is why you get people saying genre's suck based on stereotypes of bands that fit a specific sound of a genre.