The best song I've ever worked on

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
A look into the past here. Around about this time, last year, I got a chance to work on one of the best CDs of my career - Eye of the Enemy's 'Weight of Redemption'. This track, called 'The Paradigm of Penance' was a huge stand-out, and probably constitutes the best metal song I've ever worked on as an engineer.

For a limited time I've put it at the top of my streaming player on the Systematic page, here: http://www.systematicproductions.com/

The band tracked most of it themselves, I mixed it, supervised bass tracking & reamped leads, rhythm guitar reamps by Lasse Lammert & mastering by Plec.

For those who are lazy and want instant gratification (albeit at much lesser audio quality) can stream it from here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd1mgE2Eca0&feature=related[/ame]

Wow this sounds amazing. On my 5150 I can't seem to get that midrange bite like on this track without it turning honky sounding. Any tips/ampsettings or ITB eq tweaks I could try. Usually I'll cut some 250hz out to clear up the mud and I'll cut a little 2k to clear some honk but I can never get that "bite".

You can buy the CD or download the album here: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/EyeOfTheEnemy/from/MysticMetal

@Robert: It isn't a 5150, so there's a starting point. The 5150 has much more gentle high mids than the 5150 III, and subdued tonality overall, with more low-mid emphasis. A lot of the bite came from the way the guitarist picks, and the pickups being 81s, which make the high mids even more coarse and aggressive. Next album is likely to have passives.

Thanks for listening guys. I still regret the fact that this album didn't land bigger than it did. So many missed label opportunities from mere inches away.

I don't really like the music that much but I really like the mix.
Those guitars sound really tight without getting harsh, very nice.

^ I agree....the production is great. But the band itself....way to generic (nothing special, record companies want a band with special qualities but im sure we all know that), the quality of the vocals is really clear, really really good job but i cant stand these type of vocals. I think the snare can use a little more snap personally (might just be this youtube quality version) SPL TRANSIENT DESIGNER a little attack.

It isn't going to appeal to all tastes, of course, but saying that record labels want special qualities in bands is like saying men want prostitutes for their conversational skills.

Labels want bands that are marketable. The only 'special qualities' they look for is their ability to appeal to a crowd, draw numbers to shows and sell the product. I personally don't think EoTE are generic, and many many many bands with much more rudimentary sonic signatures are getting signed all over the world as we speak. You only have to look at the independent USA 'scene' labels to see what kind of 'special qualities' are really desired.

Also, EoTE have been signed to Just Say Rock / Rockstar Records for over a year now.