The Blues! (recommendations and such)

S<issors

wins.
Jan 16, 2007
I know only a very limited amount about the blues, but it seems like a damn cool genre of music, and I'd like to get into it. Modern, classic, some of each- recommend me all the greatest albums for a guy interested in seeing what the genre has to offer.

Heavily blues-influenced stuff is cool, too.

mark knopfler =)

Love that guy... Sultans of Swing is one of my favorite songs. Tasty leads.

Some blues guys to check out:

B.B. King
John Lee Hooker
Robert Cray
Albert King
Muddy Waters (Hendrix's idol)
T-Bone Walker

A lot of the blues sound the same after a while, but these guys stand out. I'm partial to guitarists, btw. My college band opened for Junior Wells, a singer/harmonica player and he was the coolest. He kept asking the crowd to give it up for my band. A class act.

Straddling the line between blues, jazz, and funk (depending on the song) is saxophonist, Maceo Parker. For a more bluesy disc, check out "Roots Revisited".

R.L Burnside
Cedell Davis
Muddy Waters
and the like...

Newer stuff being
John Spencer's Blues Explosion
Clutch
North Mississippi Allstars
etc...

Buddy Guy & Junior Wells - Alone & Acoustic
- best acoustic blues album I've ever heard

R.L. Burnside - A Ass Pocket Of Whiskey, Too Bad Jim, and Mr. Wizard
- very loose electric Delta blues
ya, that "Alone and Acoustic" is one of the best. Try;Elmore james, Pinetop Perkins, John Lee Hooker, Luther Allison, Tinsley Ellis, Jimmy Thackery, Joe Bonamassa, Johnny Winter,Roy Buchanan, CoCo Montoya, John Mayall. That should get you started.:kickass:

I know only a very limited amount about the blues, but it seems like a damn cool genre of music, and I'd like to get into it. Modern, classic, some of each- recommend me all the greatest albums for a guy interested in seeing what the genre has to offer.

Heavily blues-influenced stuff is cool, too.

chi1dr3n 0f t3h b0d0mz!1 aug!!111one11eijeijf

but really....AC/DC, paul gilbert as to stuff thats blues influenced.

umm dont know much about blues i know a lot of jazz people though

Muddy waters....!!!!....hes the man.....that raw dirty chicago sound....to this day hes regarded as one of teh most influential......i personally lvoe "hoochie coochi man"...im sur eeveryone here does too....its liek the mianstream hit of his career.....anwyyz.....hes just awesome.....and yes teh others ppl suggested here are also good......i would try to stay in teh clasical and chaicago era////....otherwise ure better off listenin to some zeppelin or yardbirds....a more refined and modern sound....it somehow jsut doenst match the raw and killer feeling of the earlier sound......best of luck young grasshopper....may the spirit of teh buffalo be with you....in ure endeavor....PEAC EOUT

robert johnson for old blues stuff (which i personally much prefer)
or gary moore for more modern blues rock

actually after reading other peoples posts more thoroughly pay attention to soundave's bob cray reccomendation. seeing bob cray live was one of my first proper gigs, and it was absolutely awesome.

Love the Yardbirds, but it's rather cheesy/english compared to real blues. Leadbelly, Big Bill Broonsy, Sonny Boy Williams (both of them), Furry Lewis are some I've heard; The guitar is pretty rudimentary, but you gotta remember that people simply didn't play the guitar like this before, it sounded like something from the grave, so raw and hollow. The vocals were out of this world, half of them sounded like they were dying (or ready to) as they were playing...

Blues is a vast genre Scissors. If you want the "original masters" you start with Robert Johnson, Son House, Leadbelly. More contemporary Blues; a lot of great suggestions here for you. Gary Moore is an excellent starting point, as is, Joe Bonnamassa, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Frank Marino, Pat Travers. Mandatory is Hendrix, Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Roy Buchanan, Johnny Winters, Buddy Guy(Hendrix idol) Eric Gales, Eric Johnson(more jazz) I could go on and on, but I won't. Something from all of these musicians will give you a dam good idea about the "Blues."