Recommendations...

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
I'm thinking several forum regulars will be able to help me out here (Npearce, Dreamlord, other people?).

I've recently got a load of (whetever)core stuff, including:
Converge's back catalogue
BBTS's back catalogue
Isis back catalogue
Every Time I die - Hot Damn
The all-crushing Envy - A Dead Sinking Story (Japanese emo-hardcore, I seriously recommend everyone give this a listen)
Envy/This Machine Kills/Yaphet Kotto three way split, and a few other really cool albums, does anyone have any recommendations of other stuff I should check out? :)

:wave:

SWANS - Children Of God

I saw them live around the time of the release of this record in snooty old Windsor of all places, playing to around 40 people in a pub. A total travesty. Everyone who was at that show was literally pinned to the wall and crushed to dust. Easily in the top 5 shows of all time. Just the sheer hugeness of it all. The way the songs drifted to start with before escalating to an enormous crescendo was a wonder to behold. I've seen Isis and Cult Of Luna and they don't even come close.

Anyway, CoG is a great album, even if it doesn't quite capture the mammoth beast that is a SWANS live performance.

This thread will help you out: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93564&highlight=hardcore

THere are probably a lot of threads in the AA forum dealing with -core.

Out of the ones you listed, I have Converge's and Isis' entire catalogue. I've heard the first two BbtS releases, but they didn't do much for me. I haven't heard the others.

So I'm assuming you enjoyed all of that stuff, right?

* denotes CHECK THIS BAND OUT NOW! Here goes:

5ive
7 Angels 7 Plagues
Bloodlet
Botch*
BoySetsFire
Breach
Candiria
(early) Cave In*
Coalesce
Cult of Luna
Dayinthelife...
Deadguy
Dillinger Escape Plan
Drowningman
Earth Crisis
Great Deceiver, The
hopesfall*
Kiss It Goodbye******
Knut
Life of Agony
Neurosis*******************************************************
Old Man Gloom
Shai Hulud
Today is the Day***************
Vision of Disorder

I agree with ReDil, while not my favorite, Souls at Zero is very significant in that it was the first album to show Neurosis' shift into apocalypticore (haha, new name).

My fave shifts from Times of Grace and Through Silver in Blood (although ToG is the better album)

Dreamlord said:
This thread will help you out: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93564&highlight=hardcore

THere are probably a lot of threads in the AA forum dealing with -core.
Thanks dude :)

Dreamlord said:
5ive
7 Angels 7 Plagues
Bloodlet
Botch*
BoySetsFire
Breach
Candiria
(early) Cave In*
Coalesce
Cult of Luna
Dayinthelife...
Deadguy
Dillinger Escape Plan
Drowningman
Earth Crisis
Great Deceiver, The
hopesfall*
Kiss It Goodbye******
Knut
Life of Agony
Old Man Gloom
Shai Hulud
Vision of Disorder
Cheers! I have some/most of Vision Of Disorder, Today Is The Day, Old Man Gloom, Neurosis , Life Of Agony (didn't I buy one off you? ;) ), Knut, hopesfall, Earth Crisis, Drowningman, Dillinger, Cult Of Luna, Cave In, Candiria, and Boysetsfire.

The rest I'll check out ASAP, thanks for the suggestions :)

Dreamlord said:
5ive
7 Angels 7 Plagues
Bloodlet
Botch*
BoySetsFire
Breach
Candiria
(early) Cave In*
Coalesce
Cult of Luna
Dayinthelife...
Deadguy
Dillinger Escape Plan
Drowningman
Earth Crisis
Great Deceiver, The
hopesfall*
Kiss It Goodbye******
Knut
Life of Agony
Old Man Gloom
Shai Hulud
Vision of Disorder
I love the list.
Some of my favorites aside from those listed by Dreamlord are:
mewithoutYou
As I Lay Dying
Blood Has Been Shed
The Black Dhalia Murder
Nora
Norma Jean
But most definatly check out;
*********SWAM OF THE LOTUS***********

Hmm.
I'm going to go see Everytime I Die, As I Lay Dying and The Black Dhalia Murder in concert in April. I forget the date. I'll check later. There's also gonna be some other band... Scarlet I believe the name is. I've never heard them so I'll be interested to see their show.

appleXcore said:
I love the list.
Some of my favorites aside from those listed by Dreamlord are:
mewithoutYou
As I Lay Dying
Blood Has Been Shed
The Black Dhalia Murder
Nora
Norma Jean
But most definatly check out;
*********SWAM OF THE LOTUS***********
Thanks dude, been meaning to check out Swarm Of The Lotus for a while now, this encourages me to do it even sooner!

I have some AsILayDying and TBDM but I'll have a listen to the rest :)

We Are the Romans is awesome. I mean who woulda thunk Gregorian Chants going with -core, haha.

I urge you, Russell, to pick up Kiss It Goodbye's "She Loves Me, She Loves Me Not". What an angry, angry beast it is. And the song "Sick Day" is one of the finest -core songs I've ever heard.

Bloodlet's "The Seraphim Fall" is also quite good, if you like your -core very dark.

Not many people know about Breach, eventhough theyve released around 6 albums. I would liken them to Souls at Zero-era Neurosis. Check them out if you dig Cult of Luna, but I think Breach is the better band.

Get Deadguy's "Fixation on a COworker". Good stuff.

7 Angels 7 Plagues' "Jhazmyne's Lullaby" is one of the finest melodic hardcoe albums I've heard. They are similar to hopesfall, but minus the emo moments.