Thus spake the leader of Watchmaker . . .

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
So I emailed Brian Livoti of Watchmaker, and I asked him for some recommendations of 80's thrash and metal . . . just for the hell of it. Oh . . . and I also let him know I had just updated my Voivod collection. Read his response.

Oh man, Voi Vod are killer! If you like their other material from that period ("War and Pain", "Killing Technology", and "Dimension Hatross") you should find "Roooaaarrrr (etc.)" interesting. Hell, it is worth buying for the cover art alone! But Voi Vod is one of Paul's favorite bands, and you can actually hear a lot of "Dimension Hatross" in our stuff. The chords he uses are all Piggy influenced.

DBC "Genesis Explosion" (Combat Records) is very similar to Voi Vod, but no one else was really like Voi Vod. They were truly an original band, that nobody could touch or mimic. I once saw them in Boston with Faith No More and Soundgarden opening for them. HA! However, Voi Vod have fully admitted to ripping off a Milwaukee punk band, Die Kreuzen, whose self-titled first LP is blistering. The cover art of that is worth the price of a used copy as well. Sick artwork. So if you dig Voi Vod, and want to hear something even dirtier from that time period, I would suggest picking that up. But be careful though, Die Kreuzen mellowed out tremendously after that album, so stay away from all other releases by them unless you want to hear what pre-emo sounds like.

As far as brutal thrash from that period goes, I recommend Sacrilege B.C. "Party with God" (fucking crazy), Viking "Do or Die" (totally ferocious attack), Angkor Wat "When Obscenity Becomes the Norm...Awake!" (underrated and insane), Holy Terror's "Mind Wars", Whermacht "Shark Attack". Any of the first 3 Dark Angel albums, ANY Possessed (total gods), Crumbsuckers "Life of Dreams", Ludichrist "Immaculate Deception", Corrosion of Conformity's "Animosity" (bananas - it is too bad they are now Creed), oh and shit...D.R.I.'s self-titled first LP and "Dealing With It" will both completely obliterate your head! You will be amazed that people were playing like this in 1982. You must buy the Accused's "The Return of Martha Splatterhead" (Mosh 1 on Earache!) and "More Fun Than An Open-Casket Funeral". Holy fuck, those albums are scalding. "Halo of Flies" is one of the most aggressive and just plain over the top angry songs I have ever heard. Their stuff, along with most of my other recommendations, are sadly out of print, but it is all out there if you look hard enough. And it is all worth looking for.

Kreator's "Endless Pain", "Flag of Hate", "Pleasure To Kill", "TERRIBLE CERTAINTY" (yes!!!!!!!!!!!!), "Out of the Dark...Into the Light" and "Extreme Aggression" are all equally nuts. Sacred Reich's first two albums (believe it or not) are examples of perfect thrash metal. You must own "Ignorance". Awesome. Overkill's first, like, 5 albums are sick, but I would start out on "Feel the Fire" or "Taking Over". Yeah, Overkill have the reputation of being somewhat goofy, but there is nothing funny about these albums. The first song off "Taking Over", "Deny the Cross" should make you want to break furniture. Death Angel's "The Ultra-Violence" is a classic. Check out the song "Thrashers" or "Evil Priest" for the thrash attack. M.O.D. "U.S.A. for M.O.D." is totally killer. As is S.O.D. "Speak English or Die". Everything Whiplash did was incredible. Three NY Italian guys all named Tony playing violent thrash. ANY Carnivore is great. Broken Bones are apeshit. So isn't early Discharge. Possibly one of my favorite bands. Nuclear Assault "Survive" is mental. "Rise From the Ashes" is one of my favorite songs from that period.

A little more polished and glammy is Agent Steel and Laaz Rockit - both amazing bands.

Holy shit, you've just taken me back to my mulleted, high school years of metal! But now you know why I am not too interested in most stuff being released today. Who needs it when all of this killer music has already been recorded?

Nate The Great said:
But now you know why I am not too interested in most stuff being released today. Who needs it when all of this killer music has already been recorded?

Word. Even in my Hammers review, I couldn't think of any band that *truly* ruled the 90's.

All good recommendations .. i think i had most of those in my collection back in the days.

Was just talking to a friend of mine the other day about how there are no bands today ... shit ... bands since Metallica's beginning really that can be considered legendary.

Nowhere in rock for the last 20 years has a band come along like Metallica, Stones, AC/DC, Priest, Sabbath ... you know what I mean?

What is the cause of this? Is it our short attention span? Is it the innabilty of todays artist to write even just one consistently amazing record from start to finish?

Anyway ... pick up WHIPLASH and WEHRMACHT from the list above.

I think only time will tell if there are any great bands of the 90's or more recent. In the 80's Metallica was basically just a large rumble underground. They didn't even reach legendary status until a year or two after the black album.

I think only time will tell if there are any great bands of the 90's or more recent. In the 80's Metallica was basically just a large rumble underground. They didn't even reach legendary status until a year or two after the black album.
that maybe true ... but I cannot think of ANY band in ANY genre ... that has caused even a little bit of a major rumble in the 90's ... basically nothing that could lift them to that MTV Icon status :)

As much as it pains me, the band that will pop in people's minds when they think of the 90's will be Korn. Think about it.

Now if we're talking about actual quality music throughout the decade, with influence spreading across (and practically creating) a genre, no one comes within a country mile of Neurosis.

Nate The Great said:
Well, maybe in the mainstream, but certainly amongst metal fans, Metallica were already on top of the world when promoting AJfA on the Justice Tour. That tour was the biggest probably since the World Slavery Tour.

J. said:
Now if we're talking about actual quality music throughout the decade, with influence spreading across (and practically creating) a genre, no one comes within a country mile of Neurosis.
So which bands have Neurosis influenced in heavy metal?

Other than creating noise-core (post-hardcore), I'd say they've influenced countless sludge bands, probably some Pagan bands (if you read Neurosis' lyrics, you'll see they are indeed, Pagan). Probably countless grind bands. Too hard to tell. They transcend heavy metal.

Yeah I just think all that stuff goes out the boundary for what would be considered 'big', even in the underground. If the world is going to see another Zeppelin, Sabbath, Maiden, or Metallica, it's going to be something that's gone full circle (musically). Perhaps a combination of all those bands.

<<Nowhere in rock for the last 20 years has a band come along like Metallica, Stones, AC/DC, Priest, Sabbath ... you know what I mean?

What is the cause of this? Is it our short attention span? Is it the innabilty of todays artist to write even just one consistently amazing record from start to finish?>>

I personally blame the mainstream media and the major labels failure to support innovative artists, I don't think it reflects too poorly upon the state of metal in the 90s and beyond, especially with the growth of underground metal and the continued exploration within (IMO of course...) That said, whether we'll look back on those movements as fondly as the thrashers of the 80s do today remains to be seen...

Like I said, Korn will be remembered as the heavy metal band of the 90's. They created the bane that is nu-metal, and influenced countless clones. THey brought the huge tours back to metal, etc. I wish it wasn't true, but....

Demonspell said:
That said, whether we'll look back on those movements as fondly as the thrashers of the 80s do today remains to be seen...
Nah, it'll never happen because the metal community is all web based now. That adds to the short attention span. I mean, look at us - going through genres and bands like they're going out of style. When Maiden or Metallica came out, people stuck by them, and the genre they represented for a solid 10 years. Everyone listened to everything. You'd see the same fans at both Skid Row and Slayer. It's not even close to that anymore.

I guarantee that *maybe* 80% of the people into metal today (via UM etc) won't be listening to metal 20 years from now. I'll bet money on it.

It's not just about the music, it's about the community. The badges, the jackets, the shows, the summer festivals, the tape bootlegs, etc all being out there in the open, not behind a computer screen or MP3 download database.

The music may live on, but the spirit died in 1990.

It's not just about the music, it's about the community. The badges, the jackets, the shows, the summer festivals, the tape bootlegs, etc all being out there in the open, not behind a computer screen or MP3 download database.

The music may live on, but the spirit died in 1990.
Sad but true (no pun intended) ... it is true that the Internet killed a lot of the spirit. A lot of kids today listen to this stuff in their bedroom on headphones ... unlike my generation where we were in the park with a boom box blasting SHow No Mercy and SOD ... jsut freaking people out.

Going back to the bands .. Korn will not stand the test of time .. heck they are already done with. I am talking about bands like on this years Ozzfest ... Sabbath, Priest ... ones that transcend generations ... ones that have timeless classics.

I think the blame goes to anything post Nirvana ... Cobain with his anti rockstar attitude. Being a rockstar is fucking cool. People need this. This is why I am pissed at Hetfiled dragging his fans through his therapy sessions. I mean did AC/DC, The Stones, etc ... made their fans go through this shit. Mixing your private life with your entertainer side is not very rock'n roll.

JayKeeley said:
Nah, it'll never happen because the metal community is all web based now.

Very true. Where I live there is NO metal community. It is me and just me and as far as I know I'm being entirely honest. :tickled: Besides the nu-metal kids that listen to Linkin Park, there is no real metal community around here. Besides a friend of mine who I have listening to Opeth and In Flames, there isn't even anyone remotely interested in actual music. Teenagers these days are too concerned with putting up a "cool" image which basically means listening to rap and that lifestyle that goes with it. They don't really enjoy it, but they want to fit in. Its weird to even imagine that 80s thrash era when you compare it to what its like today.

Excellent post, by the way.

Brian Livoti said:
Corrosion of Conformity's "Animosity" (bananas - it is too bad they are now Creed)
:yell: Nooooooooo.... I love Corrosion's late period much better than their earlier period. I agree with a lot of the albums he mentioned though, especially Sacred Reich and S.O.D.

Korn will be the band of the 90s, no question. If Nirvana would've survived longer they would be, but all of those clones died along with Kurt Cobain, not to revive (and only a little) in the last few years.

I agree the Internet killed the spirit. Nobody makes mix tapes anymore (except Papa Josh :tickled: ), they download a few tracks and toss them out or burn a CD of it and let the band wallow. I still base most purchases off a review or recommendation, but I haven't even been in an actual music store in probably a year. Why bother when most brick and mortar stores are more expensive and have shitty stock?