Bands that SOLD OUT

Try Lateralus...if you don't like it you may give it to me...my kid broke my CD...:)

T:)

I try so hard not to think of Tool as sell outs. I used to love them so much. I worry that I don't consider them sell outs because of denial on my part. I do know that they have a whole new fan base and those fans don't consider them metal. The first time I heard someone say they are not a metal band, I was very confused. They have a new fan base that are not metal. When a band ends up with a new fan base, what does that new fan base do when they hear their old stuff? Do they go into shock. It is really hard to imagine Metallica's new fans getting into their old stuff. I saw a YouTube clip where James was apologizing because they were about to play an older song and they didn't want the crowd to get scared. If someone can find the clip I am referring to, please post it. I found it by accident before. It was hilarious though. Aenima is my favorite album from Tool. I tell my self that it isn't their fault that they have non metal fans. But when you have geeks listening to them and saying they are not metal, you have to wonder. Surely they are not aware of Aenima. At some point in Tool's career, they became a new band to some non metalheads.

Well, if tool sold out, I'm not sure who they sold out too. They have always maintained their own sound. My Favourite is Lateralus. Great disc from start to finish.
That singer from A Perfect Circle totally ripped them off though!:loco:

the term 'Sellout' means nothing but too much success for some people's taste.

In some cases, but there are definitely sell outs out there.
I`ll never forget in the 90`s seeing Metallica on the cover of Rolling Stone with stylish Haircuts and $500 silk shirts.:puke:

I said it before and I'll say it again, you pick up a guitar for 2 reasons.

1) money
2) pussy

It's not "selling out" when you are trying to get more of both. There is a BIG difference between "selling out," and writing crappy music.

true, Pantera proofed with 'Far Beyond Driven' that you can reach #1 chart-positions with the heaviest metal, it's not necessary to write crappier songs to reach wider audiences.

I think that selling out is less about stylistic changes in the music and more of an attitude thing. For example: Metallica. I felt they sold out with the release of Load. Not because of the music, but the change in the guys themselves. I recall their website at that time having statements about how they really "weren't a metal band," and other such nonsense. THAT is selling out to me. Anthrax may have diverged from some of their earlier records, but I don't see it as selling out because they never really seemed to abandon the metal flag, so to speak. (yes, even during Vol. 8 years)

The mid 90s had some decent music, but the time was frustrating because so many great metal bands were ashamed of being a "metal" band. Shit, even through St. Anger, Metallica wasn't using the term.

I agree with attitude. I think it has to do with integrity also. I think that when the general public does not view a band as metal when they were metal before, it can be selling out. I don't really think it is all about being heavy either. Dream Theater is not especially heavy but they have integrity and are adamant about being metal. They experiment but not to be mainstream.
Some bands sold out so long ago and so bad we don't really remember them being metal. Someone brought up def leppard earlier. They haven't been metal in 25 years or more. Hard to believe someone else remembered that. So it is great because someone remembered besides me. Guns and roses (i only use them as an example because how they are remembered now, not because i care) only had one album that I would consider metal. Appetite for destruction of course. But then they sold out so hard on their next albums that it sucked the metalness right out of appetite for destruction. Now they are remembered as just a rock band. It is pointless
to argue. We can just vent about it. But it is odd when hardcore bands sell out. They are the ones you least expect.
Do you think some of these guys just get older and more mellow?

Def Leppard's attitude disgusts me on many levels. First is the majority of the band turning it's back on the metal community long ago. Most of it, however, is squarely aimed at that fuckface Vivian Campbell. Why? Because he's been badmouthing Ronnie Dio for the past 25 years, and it hasn't stopped with Dio's death. What a fucker.

Def Leppard's attitude disgusts me on many levels. First is the majority of the band turning it's back on the metal community long ago. Most of it, however, is squarely aimed at that fuckface Vivian Campbell. Why? Because he's been badmouthing Ronnie Dio for the past 25 years, and it hasn't stopped with Dio's death. What a fucker.

Not trying to defend Vivian, as his guitar playing with DL has been shit but...the guy personally knew Dio - he presumably has legitimate reasons for hating the guy.
It's not like Dio didn't badmouth him as well.