Bands that have sold out?

Wouldn't selling out imply that DT changed their music in order to sell more albums? Well, does anyone know if that's the case? Have their more recent albums done better?

I dont think they sold out, I just wanted to give the anti DT camp some more tools... :lol: lord knows they need all they can summon

But comparing I&W to When Dream & Day..... there was nothing commerically compliant on Dream & Day. They still retained their signature but became more diverse, better grounded from I&W on, which would mean they had more sounds that would appeal to a broader audience. I highly doubt they did that intentionally, they just expanded their artistic presentation.

In Symphony X's case they havent really had anything commercially compliant to reach the broader audience, I doubt they do that intentionally either.... prolly just.... their artistic presentation

:erk:

I dont think they sold out, I just wanted to give the anti DT camp some more tools... :lol: lord knows they need all they can summon

But comparing I&W to When Dream & Day..... there was nothing commerically compliant on Dream & Day. They still retained their signature but became more diverse, better grounded from I&W on, which would mean they had more sounds that would appeal to a broader audience. I highly doubt they did that intentionally, they just expanded their artistic presentation.

In Symphony X's case they havent really had anything commercially compliant to reach the broader audience, I doubt they do that intentionally either.... prolly just.... their artistic presentation

:erk:

Yo, razor...Petrucci's best solo...IMO...The Spirit Carries On from SFAM...just a great solo!

My band definitely sold out. After a few years of struggling, we finally retained a fan. He told another guy how we kicked ass, and were awesome, and brought him to our next show. Then, that guy brought a friend to check us out too. The 2 new guys loved us, and became fans, which pissed off our one fan, and he refused to purchase our next album we released....from our distributor....cardboard box in the back of a Chevy Cavalier trunk.

Yo, razor...Petrucci's best solo...IMO...The Spirit Carries On from SFAM...just a great solo!

I stand advised, I need to get SFAM {applys slappage to mine face} really what seems to be the highest acclaimed work by DT is the one I dont own, I think theres one other I never bought, and a few that are missing now ????

still dont have Paradise Lost {applies firm double slap}

damn did I spend alot on equipment this year

My band definitely sold out. After a few years of struggling, we finally retained a fan. He told another guy how we kicked ass, and were awesome, and brought him to our next show. Then, that guy brought a friend to check us out too. The 2 new guys loved us, and became fans, which pissed off our one fan, and he refused to purchase our next album we released....from our distributor....cardboard box in the back of a Chevy Cavalier trunk.

See now.... thats what I like... a Dude with a sense of humor

I give you a 3 point near fall for that one man but I think you really pinned it :worship:

Well, on the next album, we're going to give in to our original fan, and go back to not trying to appeal to the masses(of the 2 other fans!)mainly because he was the guy who transported our equipment! When he stopped being a fan, we had to cancel our "East Pasco County Tour." It's too bad, too, because the two fans we gained were going to pay to get the guitarist's effect pedals out of the pawn shop....

Yeah, it's a fine line between making our fan happy, or "selling out" to double our fanbase.....to 2 fans. Many a show has been cancelled as well ,because of a bartender at a club calling in sick to take care of the 5 people there. 2 "play some SKYNNRD" guys, the wife of the drummer, and the co-worker she talked into coming, and of course, our 1 fan/roadie. At one show last year, there was a guy who "worked for a major label" that came to see us...unfortunately, it turned out to be the janitor for def jam records. He was cool though, he gave us some tips on what cleaner to use on the amp cabinets.

You can believe that "talent" sells and leads to success, but that's also like believing in religion (and to all you religious dudes, I am not knocking your faith, you can ask any legitimate christian or hindu priest or rabbi or practitioner of any kind and they will tell you that they too are taking a leap of faith. That's where the word comes from in the first place). You're taking a blind leap of faith. Fact is, Dream Theater would have been jack and shit without WB's promotion. Simple as that. Symphony X has been on Inside Out for only 2 albums, and Metal Blade for 1 album prior that. Before V, they had practically zero label support which is why they are not as big as DT. However, judging by how many tickets they have been selling coupled with album sales, they are well on their way to reaching a similar level of success.

Your analogy to religion doesn't make any sense. I have no idea how you can go from a topic like talent selling records to talking about blind leaps of faith in religious systems. :mad:

Look, I'm an avid prog head, old and newer stuff. I NEVER counted (stopped listening 18 years ago) on radio, record label promotion. I bought metal, prog, and guitar magazines in the beginning to help me when I was a teen. If you're into these kinds of bands, you have to do the "footwork" yourself. Promotion helps, but us fans of this genre...we're smarter than the average person, we figure out how to get the albums we're looking for. I remember reading about Dream Theater, and what their sound was like before the name change, and their first album was out. And with SX...I read about Michael Romeo in an old issue of Guitar World magazine. And as soon as I heard his contribution on the 95' Rush tribute album, I had to find them, and of course pay extra to get their first album.

DT's first few CDs were awesome.

I liked the "When Dream and Day Unite" CD. Although maybe not vocally, but musically it was awesome. Especially on songs like "YTSE Jam", "Afterlife", and "The Killing Hand".

Man, when I first got "Images and Words" tape, I wore out the tape spool on it, I played it so much all the time.

I absolutely love that CD/tape/album. "Awake" was awesome too, and still is to this day.

I wasn't too big on the "Falling into Infinity" CD. Although, "Anna Lee", "Hollow Years", and "Take Away my Pain" were very pretty songs on there.

"Scenes from a Memory" picked up where they left off with "Images and Words" and "Awake" CDs. Another awesome CD.

"6 Degrees of Inner Turblence" CDs were awesome as well. Although there was a song or 2 on the first CD that showed some signs of selling out, but it wasn't enough to say it was a sorry pathetic CD.

I wasn't too big on the "Train of Thought" CD. The band really started selling out on that CD. You can tell with the way the music sounds on there.

"Octavarium" CD has some awesome songs, and some okay nothing special songs on there too.

Yeah, DT overall is showing definite signs of selling out with their later CDs.

Any Symphony X CD is so much better than most Dream Theater CDs are.

Other than for the: "Images and Words", "Awake", "Scenes from a Memory", and once in awhile the "When Dream and Day Unite" and "Octavarium" CDs; I hardly ever listen to Dream Theater at all.

I listen to Symphony X a lot more often than I do Dream Theater.

Joe and I sold out... today we warmed up with some heavy blues, then played some metal, then played some really perty smooth jazz-ish & ballad kind of things, then went back to metal with a few boogiein rockers in the mix... we're totally shameless, but we dont care we have record labels pounding the door down...........

Joe and I sold out... today we warmed up with some heavy blues, then played some metal, then played some really perty smooth jazz-ish & ballad kind of things, then went back to metal with a few boogiein rockers in the mix... we're totally shameless, but we dont care we have record labels pounding the door down...........

I think that's just the police... I've heard you guys play :ill: