Bands that SOLD OUT

I'll say that Thanks For The Memories is a damn good pop song, but why are you talking about Fall Out Boy? They haven't sold out, they've always sucked.

Yeah, that's true. However, some people seem to argue that Scott and Rob have sold out because they are playing with former members of Fall Out Boy, and I disagree.

By the way. The singer in The Damned Things used to be in a band called Everytime i Die (or maybe he's still in that band...I don't know). This is them:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5otNfMIsKo&feature=relmfu[/ame]
I was a bit surpised by this.

Okay so in this theory are you saying that other than "Black Lodge" that SOWN noise is a Thrash metal album?

Ride The Lightning is certainly Thrash, even fade to black kicks in to thrashy riffs towards the end of the song.

Even "one" is thrash towards the end, sanitarium as well.

I'd say that there are several thrash elements to the tunes on SOWN, however the record is broader in style than the traditonal thrash record, and incorporates other genres as well. That is what makes this album stand out, in my opinion. In other words, the record isn't pure, traditional thrash all the way through but there are plenty of riffs, beats and lead guitar parts that can be considered thrash. And the presence of Black Lodge doesn't really change my overall impression.

SOWN is metal, influenced by grunge.

Grunge isn't really a genre, though. Is more a geographical tag.
Perhaps one can argue that SOWN has some AIC influences on there, but AIC have clearly stated that they don't want to be associated with the grunge tag, and that they consider themselves a heavy metal band.

In addition, AIC have named several metal bands as their influences (also bands considered to play thrash), and when listening to AIC records the influence is at times pretty evident.

Listen to the intro to Make Me Laugh from State of Euphoria. I think Alice in Chains was inspired by this sort of thing.

In other words: who influenced who?

Every Time I Die sucks.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. :lol:

It appears that a large number of reviewers disagree with you, though.
(Im sure that there are quite a few that share your opinion as well).

I was just curious about the band as I've never heard of them before, so I listened a bit on youtube. Not sure if I like them that much yet, but I'm gonna give them another listen. I was a wee bit surprised that they're considerably more intense than The Damned Thingys.

I was just curious about the band as I've never heard of them before, so I listened a bit on youtube. Not sure if I like them that much yet, but I'm gonna give them another listen. I was a wee bit surprised that they're considerably more intense than The Damned Thingys.

I loved their last record New Junk Aesthetic.

Speaking about bands selling out:

Is it as "bad" when a producer/mixer/studio engineer is working with a "sell-out"-band, as when musicians do?

I would not have much of a problem with it, I think. Might alter my opinion if someone would drop a few interesting lines on this subject though ...

Jay Ruston for example has a quite diverse working history: everything between "The Big 4 Live in Sofia, Bulgaria" and "American Idol: Season 4 Cast Album".

Perhaps it's worse when a sell-out producer works with a solid, credible musician?

You know...Timbaland...Chris Cornell..."Scream".....shite.

Just an opinion, I know there are shitloads of ppl into them, on the other hand there are million of KoRn fans worldwide as well and after having seen them live I just can't recall whether I had ever seen even worse band. On a second thought, I might have had. Rammstein supporting AC/DC. Hard to say which one was worse.

Yeah, that's true. However, some people seem to argue that Scott and Rob have sold out because they are playing with former members of Fall Out Boy, and I disagree.

Me too. After almost 30 years of staying with Anthrax through the good times and the bad, Scott Ian has earned the right to play with anybody. If he's having fun being in a band with guys from Fall Out Boy, so be it. Really, who gives a fuck?

Grunge isn't really a genre, though. Is more a geographical tag.
Perhaps one can argue that SOWN has some AIC influences on there, but AIC have clearly stated that they don't want to be associated with the grunge tag, and that they consider themselves a heavy metal band.

In addition, AIC have named several metal bands as their influences (also bands considered to play thrash), and when listening to AIC records the influence is at times pretty evident.

Listen to the intro to Make Me Laugh from State of Euphoria. I think Alice in Chains was inspired by this sort of thing.

In other words: who influenced who?

I can kind of see that point. Make Me Laugh is one of my fav songs from SOE and I love AIC.

I still say SOWN has grunge influences though. The opening of 'Invisible' sounds very grunge like then it speeds up to sort of thrash riffs.

Perhaps it's worse when a sell-out producer works with a solid, credible musician?

You know...Timbaland...Chris Cornell..."Scream".....shite.

yeah that might be kinda dull, haven't heard it yet though. might be like ordering the best burger at McDonalds. ok to eat but you don't feel that liberated afterwards.

I can kind of see that point. Make Me Laugh is one of my fav songs from SOE and I love AIC.

I still say SOWN has grunge influences though. The opening of 'Invisible' sounds very grunge like then it speeds up to sort of thrash riffs.

There's no denying that Anthrax tried to keep with the times when they released SOWN, drawing in influences from the sort of music that was popular at the time. The other big 4s (possibly excluding Slayer) were doing the same.

And they are doing it again these days, I suppose. The trend right now appears to be "returning to ones roots", as Metallica did with DM. Megadeth have done it as well, I guess, and now it appears that Anthrax are doing the very same thing with Worship Music.

So I agree that there is a bit of a "grunge-vibe" to SOWN (possibly enhanced by Jerden's production), yet I find a tad of that vibe in some of their earlier releases as well.

yeah that might be kinda dull, haven't heard it yet though. might be like ordering the best burger at McDonalds. ok to eat but you don't feel that liberated afterwards.

I think it's a horrible album. I've got all of Chris Cornell's releases, but I was sceptical about this one, so I just got it off itunes instead of buying the cd.

It was more like bying a burger that looks pretty tasty, then realising it's made of plastic once you sink your teeth into it.

It was quickly deleted from my computer and mp3 player.

The one good thing I can say about the album is that Cornell's voice sounds really good on it. I don't think I've heard him sing that well since the Soundgarden days.

Just an opinion, I know there are shitloads of ppl into them, on the other hand there are million of KoRn fans worldwide as well and after having seen them live I just can't recall whether I had ever seen even worse band. On a second thought, I might have had. Rammstein supporting AC/DC. Hard to say which one was worse.

I appreciate your opinion, and I completely agree in regards to Korn and Rammstein. Never liked the latter. I thought the first two albums by Korn were quite good though, but the rest were so samey and boring that they also affected my appreciation of the first two releases.