Thus spake the leader of Watchmaker . . .

JayKeeley said:
It's not just about the music, it's about the community. The badges, the jackets, the shows, the summer festivals, the tape bootlegs, etc all being out there in the open, not behind a computer screen or MP3 download database.

The music may live on, but the spirit died in 1990.
My jacket holds four badges, 20-something patches, I'll go to Wacken soon, I've got tape bootlegs.

The music lives on, and so does the spirit in the dedicated hearts. Have any of you guys thought of a reason to cut your hair yet? If you have, I'd like to hears it.

NOTE: I currently have three mix tapes (Containing Vexed, Kreator, Bathory, Krohm, Testament, Dark Angel etc) and a Toxic Holocaust demo tape in my jacket.

i dont think its possible for a band rise from the underground and become 'legendary' anymore. once a band gets a bit of sucess and noteriety, everyone screams "sellout" and quits listening to them. think about it, who are the underground bands that are starting to get ozzfest and mtv play? arch enemy, in flames, dimmu borgir, cradle of filth, etc. is anyone in the underground going to call them a legend as they comercialize and gain non-underground fanbasses? fuckin unlikely. also, metal has become too subdividd by genre. yeh in the 80s everyone loved the big thrash bands, what other genre of metal had a decent following? death metal and black metal were just getting started. theres legends within their own genre, but there can never again be a sweeping general 'metal' band that everyone loves becuase most metalheads dont enjoy every type. metal is gaining popularity i guess but the listeners are so spread out that we couldnt possibly all agree on a 'legend.' and fuck that anyway.

Sorath said:
My jacket holds four badges, 20-something patches, I'll go to Wacken soon, I've got tape bootlegs.

The music lives on, and so does the spirit in the dedicated hearts. Have any of you guys thought of a reason to cut your hair yet? If you have, I'd like to hears it.

NOTE: I currently have three mix tapes (Containing Vexed, Kreator, Bathory, Krohm, Testament, Dark Angel etc) and a Toxic Holocaust demo tape in my jacket.
Yes, don't get me wrong - I totally comprehend that pockets of people uphold the lifestyle - it's just not on that same mass scale. With that said, long hair was never that common amongst people in their mid-20s or whatever, unless you were the guys up on stage playing in the band. They were also the ones who lived in a van, or on other people's floors hoping to make the big time.

Most people have long hair through college and then cut it upon graduation, just because the inevitable awaits.

Why did I cut my hair? I remember it well. I took a year out, graduated from university at 22, and I wanted to get a job so that I could get out of my parents house, pay rent, buy my own food and clothes, a car, CDs etc. I got my sister to cut my hair off.

I guess I could have taken a job where my hair didn't need cutting, but then that would have been a waste of a university education. I suppose there are some jobs that let you keep your hair long...lab physicians or computer programmers maybe?

I never had long hair because my hair is thick and wavey and it sucks like that. I keep mine REAL short because I excercise all the time, and I don't like to have to worry about sweaty hair. Plus . . . having short hair was a way for me to rebel against the other metalheads that thought they had to have long hair. So if metal equals rebellion, I was more metal than the long-haired metalheads.:LOL:

Plus . . . Rob Halford has short hair. Who's more metal than him???

Nate The Great said:
So if metal equals rebellion, I was more metal than the long-haired metalheads.
hehe, exactly. I am the least metal-looking guy here, I'm sure. So I guess I'm more "metal" in spirit, though I'm not rebelling against anything.

Reverse psychology rules.