The Boundaries of Metal.

Kenneth R.

Cináed
Oct 28, 2004
Hallways of Always
Alright. So we've had the favorite band threads, the heavy band threads, etc. This one is to familiarize people with what, in your opinion, the boundaries of metal are being pushed by.

For example: Opeth - Most powerful harsh vox. or Meshuggah - Fastest riffage. Etcetera. Any category. Any band, but you must give the reason why as well!. You can only post one band at a time. You can't doublepost (spam) either ;) Remember this is not a "best" thread, I don't care who the best is. We're talking about innovation and extremity.

So who is pushing the limits of metal?

I'm not tooting my own horn or anything, but honestly Rainwound has taken music to a whole new level. It's like progressive rock with outbursts of black metal, jam band sessions, heavy metal and prog metal... and a video game music influence that ranges from extremely subtle to extremely blatant. I've never heard anything like it and I think it is in a whole new genre that it created with the full-length demo...

I'd have to disagree with your meshuggah statement.. Their riffage is not very fast and a lot of it is repetitive with slow guitar leads... Using extremely detuned guitars to create the illusion of heaviness...

Ulver.............they've pushed the boundries of metal and and music in general.

FUBAR said:
Ulver.............they've pushed the boundries of metal and and music in general.
this was going to be my example, but I thought I would be more specific (and actually I made those first two up, just so you'd all get an idea).

Ulver is progression, hardcore. Garm is a genius imo for reinventing the band with every record.

Oinkness said:
I'm not tooting my own horn or anything, but honestly Rainwound has taken music to a whole new level. It's like progressive rock with outbursts of black metal, jam band sessions, heavy metal and prog metal... and a video game music influence that ranges from extremely subtle to extremely blatant. I've never heard anything like it and I think it is in a whole new genre that it created with the full-length demo...

i went to the website and listened to the audio samples and if an autistic baby's little weiner could play guitar it would probably sound like that

To follow on the jazz and metal thing, I think that the Red Chord has pushed metal in some ways. Adding in jazz and just the overall spasticity of their music - certainly pushes the boundaries in some ways.

In The Woods...

the same as with Ulver. started as epic black metal and left metal far behind with their last release, always keeping high quality level...

ephel duath

these guys are sweet. lots of jazz stuff. some say advante garde...i don't even know what the fuck that word means. anyway, this band is hard to explain. they just fucking do their own thing. when you can listen to a band, and know that they are just flat out doing their own thing...they are pushing the boundries.

meshuggah is another one. it pisses me off when they are labeled math metal. fuck, as soon as they are labeled math metal, they are all of a sudden generic. shut up!!! these guys are definetely doing their own thing. listen to their albums in progression. each release has become more and more obscure. there is "something" that has been magnified through each album that they have done. its a very terrible feeling, machine-like, depressing... thing...that is sweet...that brings me to...

blut aus nord - fuck me. throuw out everything you know about music. this shit makes me sick...and i have only heard samplers (cd is on order) btw, thanks to a few forumers here who brought up the name in props. the only other album that i have heard making a similar attempt is frances the mute, by the mars volta. the horrid intro to track four is unsettling...check it out!

Origin - Pushing the limits of speed.

Some people will list bands that they think are the fastest, but it usually just amounts to a band with a fast drummer who can do gravity rolls or really fast double bass. Gravity rolls themselves aren't all that indicative of speed, if you understand how they are played.

Origin is the fastest band. The guitars are blazing. The sweeps are unbelievable. There's a video of the the guitarists on the the newest disc playing sweeps around the 15th fret or so, then going back to the other end of the neck in perfect unison. At one point they seem to be playing around 360 BPM at the end of the song Amoeba on Echoes of Decimation.

Bands like Nile and Necrophagist that are well known for their speed fall well short of Origin.

Nile are certainly pushing the boundaries of brutality in music that makes sense. Meshuggah and Ion Dissonance are certainly pushing the boundaries of metal in general. Komprex is pushing the boundaries on music that is so fast you don't have a fucking clue what's going on.

Gorguts;
Very technical,fast ,melodic and weird riffing combined with great musicianship.Luc Lemay is an awesome musician and give style of his on the music.Steve Cloutier is great a bassist and he (nearly) created a playing style on bass you must be seen him playing to understand.They pushing the limits with experimenting their ideas.

Necrophagist;
I saw them live and it was incredible all the harmonization an sencronization,playing without mistakes.Muhammed is very talented and he is pushing the limits with combining the Death Metal with Technical,fast riffs and Neo-classical Sweeping solos.Best Death Metal band out there today.

Quo Vadis;
Their last album is very good and technical.Drumming and bass(That Steve DiGiorgio played) pushing the limits but same time fits with music perfectly.
Great album.They have their own style.If you havent listened, go listen.

Opeth - Mixing metal with folk and a tonne of other stuff, without it sounding just silly i.e Fintroll.

The Berzerker - Fastest Drumming

Who's got the fastest riffs? Meshuggah perhaps?

Peter Tagtgren with Pain, dance-metal, Charlie Clouser is the only other person i know who can pull this off as well, and besides that's only because of his history with NIN and indsutrial.

And Micheal Amott because the man's a guitar (and more over a general) music genius.