The Boundaries of Metal.

Oh, anyone who thinks Burzum are more influential / important than Ulver is just a stupid idiot fanboy.

Video game music can be amazing, simply check the likes of Final Fantasy or World of Warcraft. Masterpiece soundtracks.

Rainwound is so incredibly good, that it gets fans who love the material and want to be a part of it, but then a month later they turn all grim and sadistik and start rambling about nonsensical things and making up stories almost as if they were drunk. Can you say that about many bands?

Plus I have a friend who published a 2-part review in his college's newspaper and he gave me cashmonies and is buying me Equirhodont - Grandiose Magus.... Some of you may know him as Sepsis. He loves the demo or so he said. :eek:

Some of you may know Jinn. He loved the demo too, and got to hear the whole thing when it was still mono and such. He loved it a ton, and even tried to write lyrics for it and charge $200 for them but they got rejected, and he got all pissed and basically plagiarised the concept and submitted it and got an A in his english class and I was somewhat flattered and furious at the same time when he told me. Honestly rabid fans suck. I think Opeth knows what I'm talking about. *bites mike*.

But yeah. If you actually listen to the songs with an open mind you will surely see the potential of the material. I am recording the final demo a little bit at a time, doing just acoustic guitar, keyboards, and bass because like that guy said I should buy a nice guitar. I'm looking at a Schecter C-1 Classic blue with vine of life fretboard. Possibly the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen.

I can say with complete honesty that I think Rainwound does push the boundaries of metal. I'm not afraid to do whatever I want, even if it sounds like an NES-BlackMetal hybrid. The NES and SNES music was fantastic, and very influencial and means a lot to me. I just beat Chrono Trigger again a couple weeks ago. I put in a little bit of everything from all kinds of music I've heard, and I am not even done adding everything that will be in the final product..

In conclusion... beware of Jinn... but be friends with Sepsis... I'm not saying he will buy you CDs and stuff too, but he's a cool dude... He likes Rainwound more than Opeth.... PEAC EOUT!

phagist_ said:
Sleep Terror. I mean jazz and metal? Listen to Hypnogogic Qualm.. you'll see

I got a few songs from a friend of mine. This shit is really good.

Has the guy done much? Has he got anything with better production, mainly guitars?

I'm gonna try find some more.

Oinkness said:
Rainwound is so incredibly good, that it gets fans who love the material and want to be a part of it, but then a month later they turn all grim and sadistik and start rambling about nonsensical things and making up stories almost as if they were drunk. Can you say that about many bands?

Plus I have a friend who published a 2-part review in his college's newspaper and he gave me cashmonies and is buying me Equirhodont - Grandiose Magus.... Some of you may know him as Sepsis. He loves the demo or so he said. :eek:

Some of you may know Jinn. He loved the demo too, and got to hear the whole thing when it was still mono and such. He loved it a ton, and even tried to write lyrics for it and charge $200 for them but they got rejected, and he got all pissed and basically plagiarised the concept and submitted it and got an A in his english class and I was somewhat flattered and furious at the same time when he told me. Honestly rabid fans suck. I think Opeth knows what I'm talking about. *bites mike*.

But yeah. If you actually listen to the songs with an open mind you will surely see the potential of the material. I am recording the final demo a little bit at a time, doing just acoustic guitar, keyboards, and bass because like that guy said I should buy a nice guitar. I'm looking at a Schecter C-1 Classic blue with vine of life fretboard. Possibly the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen.

I can say with complete honesty that I think Rainwound does push the boundaries of metal. I'm not afraid to do whatever I want, even if it sounds like an NES-BlackMetal hybrid. The NES and SNES music was fantastic, and very influencial and means a lot to me. I just beat Chrono Trigger again a couple weeks ago. I put in a little bit of everything from all kinds of music I've heard, and I am not even done adding everything that will be in the final product..

In conclusion... beware of Jinn... but be friends with Sepsis... I'm not saying he will buy you CDs and stuff too, but he's a cool dude... He likes Rainwound more than Opeth.... PEAC EOUT!

it sounds like the only boundary you broke was from 1st guitar lesson to 2nd guitar lesson

Moonlapse said:
Classic videogame music is just some of the greatest shit out there, period. From the early days of Commodore 64 and the great gianna sisters to the later SNES RPGs like the Final Fantasy series, Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, Secret of Mana etc. etc. Basically Nobuo Uematsu is god, and so were most composers who were affiliated with Square.

Later on we had great music from games such as Total Annihilation, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, Baldur's Gate etc.

The fantastic thing about game or movie music is that it's written specifically to complement a visual theme, so it's usually so much more potent than a simple song written for song's sake.
Chrono Trigger for SNES = best videogame music ever.....
sry for offtopicness...

I think Emperor were really pusing some boundaries with Prometheus.

Auschwitz said:
I don't disagree with that statement.

Sorry guys for my late response! I was very busy, and did not have time to follow up on this subject.

So anyway, as far as my message on Metal, and how I had mentioned that it was music that could not expand it's bounderies..etc, I was being sarcastic. I truly beleive that you CAN push the boundries of Metal.

Take for instance Arcturas, I personally find this band unique and appealing, yes they use elements that have been attempted before, BUT not in the same way that this band executes it. It's been done before I guess, but there's bands like this one(Arcturus) that gets creative with it, therefore sounding different. Just because it's been done before doesn't mean it sounds the same. To be creative with something can result in something innovative. Take rap(wether you like it or not, it's innovative music)every sound a rap artist, or programmer comes up with, is derived from some sort of element that has been used before. but what makes the music interesting is that they get creative with it by experamenting with different types of sounds, and compiling them and converting it into something that appeals to people.

Also look at Opeth, every instrament they use has been utilized in the past obviously, but what makes there music innovative(because it is innovative in terms of metal) is that they find a way to make there music sound modern and fresh. There's something in there music that has a distinctiveness, and just kind of captivates you. that's what makes it so intersting. that to me is being innovative.

My point is, that you could push the boundries of Metal or any music genre for that matter by being creative, and in turn making it innovative through creativivty.

my ramblings are now over. Hope it made sense,

:Smug:

Yeah let's award people for buying a cello instead of a guitar and trying to make it with what they have. Can you imagine if Jimi Hendrix had bought an accordian instead and tried to make the same kind of music? Is that really pushing a boundary?

Yes. The boundary that limits metal/rock to guitar, bass, and drums. Classical instruments are definitely not commonly used in a rock or metal context. Therefore, they are pushing a boundary.