The Color Morale - My Devil In Your Eyes

The Front Studio

What are you looking at!?
Dec 30, 2009
I absolutely dig the vocals on this record. Especially the cleans. Garret stepped up his game a little more.
I wonder, do you come up with vocal harmonies or does Garret (or any other singer from a band you've recorded) comes up with them? Or maybe both?
Plus the sounds in the beginning of Demon Teeth, where you can hear the background and probably people talking?
I always wondered how stuff like that gets processed.

The female voice in the background of Fill; Avoid, is that a VST?
And a last question, do you track the clean and screamed vocals with the same mic? Is there a distinct difference?

Anyway, good job! Really love the positive vibe (it kind of reminds me of the summer) this album and We All Have Demons spreads.

I absolutely dig the vocals on this record. Especially the cleans. Garret stepped up his game a little more.
we basically put a lot of pressure on garret to make this album something special with his voice. don't get me wrong, he wanted to achieve a much greater performance as well. i worked with him on a 1 on 1 basis. just me and him, alone, in a room. no one else.
I wonder, do you come up with vocal harmonies or does Garret (or any other singer from a band you've recorded) comes up with them? Or maybe both?
all of the above. sometimes its me, sometimes its garrett, sometimes its the drummer (rarely tho! haha). or john... it really depends, and its really random. if we can't find the harmony by ear, we use tools to figure out what we're missing. antares makes a harmony engine, and you can set it a certain way so that you can hear a harmony solo. i play that back a few times for the vocalist to learn it, then he sings it. i've had trolls try to tell me "your harmonies are fake, you use this or that." but anyone in their right mind wouldn't keep those unless you're going for an imogen heap style thing. and honestly i've only ever done that once, on a let's get it song. real harmonies are a must.
Plus the sounds in the beginning of Demon Teeth, where you can hear the background and probably people talking?
I always wondered how stuff like that gets processed.
thats many many recordings of garrett saying a lot of different stuff from the song. some of the lines are... "instead of reading the book, trying meeting the author" and "my devil in your eyes"

play the intro in reverse and you'll hear some secret messages
The female voice in the background of Fill; Avoid, is that a VST?
yes
And a last question, do you track the clean and screamed vocals with the same mic? Is there a distinct difference?
same mic, different pre-amp settings.
Anyway, good job! Really love the positive vibe (it kind of reminds me of the summer) this album and We All Have Demons spreads.
thanks. this album means a lot to me, and i'm sure a lot to a lot of other people as well.

we basically put a lot of pressure on garret to make this album something special with his voice. don't get me wrong, he wanted to achieve a much greater performance as well. i worked with him on a 1 on 1 basis. just me and him, alone, in a room. no one else.

Yeah it sounds amazing, I love his voice so much!

antares makes a harmony engine, and you can set it a certain way so that you can hear a harmony solo. i play that back a few times for the vocalist to learn it, then he sings it.

Good tip! I'll check that one out! I always have difficulties finding one...

i've had trolls try to tell me "your harmonies are fake, you use this or that."

TBH who cares about trolls, just do what you think is best. Stuff sounds amazing so why bother.

real harmonies are a must.

AMEN

play the intro in reverse and you'll hear some secret messages

Will do!

Thanks for the answers man!

ahh. I thought it might be a different setup.

I was talking to their vocalist last night when I saw them live. he said you guys went with a clear & more natural sounding mic. what mic did you use?

also, I like how natural the clean vocals sound. can you talk a little more about the 1 on 1 time and your approach?

I am going to assume it was the AT4040 into the API 3124+ (which I am pretty sure is Joey's norm)
Maybe Garret was talking about screaming into a clearer mic? so instead of the sm7b they used the AT4040

this is all assumptions tho.

I am going to assume it was the AT4040 into the API 3124+ (which I am pretty sure is Joey's norm)
Maybe Garret was talking about screaming into a clearer mic? so instead of the sm7b they used the AT4040

this is all assumptions tho.

Well he did say that he used the same mic for both screaming and singing.

I'd like to know about everything on this album. I've been consumed with it lately. Such a good album. And I think it's Joey's best work to date.

not enough can be said about how great this production is! ...the songs are really great!

and (imo) the vocal mix just SLAMS sooo hard! i'll agree that this is probably the most QUALITY work joey has ever done!

x 1,000,000

Looks like TCM is going to record new album at Chango Studio next year. (info: wiki) Is anyone can confirm?

Will definately tell them NOT to go to chango!

this, i don't understand?

why would you do such a thing? ...cameron is a really nice guy, with a relevant sense of talent. there is no need for you to try and take business away from him just because you don't like his sound. :guh:

maybe you are just joking? ...and i don't get the humor. :zzz:

yeah you got me wrong! i really dig his productions! ;) wasn't serious when i wrote that. the show on wednesday will be with memphis may fire and dream on dreamer, so talking bad about chango wouldn't help in any way! ;)
again, i think hes a talent and i love his new productions and the woe is me sound for excample. but joey did a awesome job with color morale, i'm not sure if this would have been the same with cameron.