The compression question thread

3. To have a more percussive guitar tone, is it valid to compress it with slow attack and fast release? so the first transients of the notes are louder than the tail?.
I know maybe are some basic questions but it's like to get the knowledge given on this thread tight.
Thanks

Wondering about that also, since i've always read something along the lines of "distorted guitar sounds are quite compressed already so you wouldn't wanna compress it even more" but i guess that applies to compression as a "volume raising" tool, not as a "attack emphasizer/thickener" tool, which is what the question is about here, unless i misunderstood.

Wondering about that also, since i've always read something along the lines of "distorted guitar sounds are quite compressed already so you wouldn't wanna compress it even more" but i guess that applies to compression as a "volume raising" tool, not as a "attack emphasizer/thickener" tool, which is what the question is about here, unless i misunderstood.

On Wednesday i got Audio class, I'm going to shoot this to the teacher and i'll write the results.
To all who has read this thread, what kind of use has the multi band compression? Once I've heard that in mastering is a useful tool when you receive a bad mix. Is one of the latest resources to balance a little the mix and then make the mastering process. Does anyone here has some more applications for the multi-band compression?.

Just reading one of the links posted. Quote from the “The Mixing Engineer’s Handbook”, I found it funny as I have been guilty of this.

“Vocal: a good starting place for a lead vocal is 4:1 ratio, medium attack and release, and a threshold set for
about 4 to 6 dB of gain reduction.”

Many of us read that as:
“Vocal: Blah blah blah, 4:1 ratio, blah blah blah blah blah.”

On Wednesday i got Audio class, I'm going to shoot this to the teacher and i'll write the results.
To all who has read this thread, what kind of use has the multi band compression? Once I've heard that in mastering is a useful tool when you receive a bad mix. Is one of the latest resources to balance a little the mix and then make the mastering process. Does anyone here has some more applications for the multi-band compression?.

Multiband compression (with the Waves C4 plugin for instance) is widely used to tame low mids on rythm guitars when needed.