Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
The Crown – Crowned In Terror
Metalblade April 9th 2002
By Russell Garwood

Having formed eleven years ago with an average age of fourteen, it is fair to say The Crown are not new to the world of metal. On this, their fifth album, original vocalist Johan Landtstrad was replaced by Tomas Lindberg of At The Gates fame. The other members stand as Magnus Olsfelt (bass), guitarists Marko Tervonen and Marcus Sunesson, with Janne Saarenpaa on drums. The band plays primarily death metal with elements of thrash, classic metal and punk rock, Poison Idea style. The drums are tight, prominent and frenetic, providing an apt backing to the precise guitars which take the multiple time changes and solos in their stride. Tomas’ vox vary little from his usual throaty, dry rasp while the bass is accomplished, if at times quite inconspicuous.

My favourite tracks on “Crowned In Terror” are hard to pick as a high standard is maintained throughout. Final track “Death Metal Holocaust” features guest vocals by Johan, and the dual grating onslaught is effective in the extreme, the hyperfast guitars and ferocious drums making for a violent effect. Instrumental intro “House Of Hades” builds tension well, and “World Below” is the most considered song on the album, a slight let-up in pace allowing grinding guitars to take the foreground. “The Speed Of Darkness” has thrash elements with Janne using cowbells and blasts to good effect, adding not only variety but originality.

Production by the band and Chris Silver is good, the clear sound making all elements of the multifaceted music audible, and this is a generally well rounded release. The technicality of the music holds your interest, with enough melody to stop this becoming overpowering and the aggression needed to pull such a mixture off. By no means brutal, “Crowned In Terror” will, however, appeal not only to fans of classic death metal, but of most genres of aggressive music.

It's a shame that Tomas left the band they were doing remarkable work with him around. I think this is a classic album for this year songs like "Drugged Unholy" and "Under the whip" will remain in my mind for the rest of my life.

Awsome record! Hope u all buy it because it belongs in every metalheadz recordcollection. My personal favorite is Speed of Darkness. THE CROWN ROX!