The Crue still shits all over new bands ...

The Crue were fucking rock stars. They were larger than life. They were gods.

I don't expect someone whose teenage years didn't occur during the 80s to grasp that.

Some of us just rolled our eyes and sighed haughtily at your blatant worship of these pop stars, you know...

(before returning to worshipping our own kult black metal warriors in secret...)

The Crue were fucking rock stars. They were larger than life. They were gods.

I don't expect someone whose teenage years didn't occur during the 80s to grasp that. It is, to a large extant, a generational thing. To take their music out of context, and compare Girls, Girls, Girls to the latest by Negura Bunget, will obviously seem silly to anyone whose between 15 and 25 now.* That said, all the music in Norway combined will never impact me the way Shout at the Devil did when I was 15.

Very well stated, sir!

You would think a youngster during this time would grow up worshiping Metallica, Maiden, Priest, Sabbath and so forth.

I guess Motley Crue, Winger, Poison, and Def Leppard are cool too.

You would think a youngster during this time would grow up worshiping Metallica, Maiden, Priest, Sabbath and so forth.

I absolutely did...but I was introduced to Crue before the others. Shortly after I heard Crue I discovered Dio, then Priest, then Maiden. Metallica was still about a year or two away for me. I didn't hear Metallica until after RTL was released and I believe that was 84...so it may have been 85 before I heard them. Shout was out in 82 or 83 so there was some time between them. I was horribly disappointed by Theatre of Pain and it was the last album I ever bought from Crue, but I still look back on SATD with nothing but reverence.

My brother is 37 and he listened to Candlemass, Sabbath, Celtic Frost, Death, Rush, Metallica. He didn't listen to the fucking Crue, Poison, or any of that other shit. What was wrong with you nerds? :lol:

Oh wait! I remember he went through a brief phase were he listened to
STRYPER
:lol::lol::lol:

But still...he didnt listen to fucking Motley Crue :rolleyes: :puke:

My brother is 37 and he listened to Candlemass, Sabbath, Celtic Frost, Death, Rush, Metallica. He didn't listen to the fucking Crue, Poison, or any of that other shit. What was wrong with you nerds? :lol:

Oh wait! I remember he went through a brief phase were he listened to
STRYPER
:lol::lol::lol:

But still...he didnt listen to fucking Motley Crue :rolleyes: :puke:

As did I. However, Candlemass didn't release anything other than demos until at least 85-86 and Death wasn't until 87. Out of curiosity, what is he listening to now? U2? :Spin:

Oh, you mean early 80s then? I honestly have no idea what he was listening to when the Crue came out. I was 6.
I don't know what he listens to now. Sade?
I do know he's real fat and bench presses 550 pounds and lives in DAYTON. That's about it.

Oh, you mean early 80s then? I honestly have no idea what he was listening to when the Crue came out. I was 6.
I don't know what he listens to now. Sade?
I do know he's real fat and bench presses 550 pounds and lives in DAYTON. That's about it.

Well shit!! Why didn't you say so? I will have him added to the guess list the next time Darkness Undying are playing down there. We'll bring him right back into the fold...and get him into the Crue.

For me, Shout was the first time I really got into music. It was because of Shout that I discovered all of the bands you listed.

I guess Motley Crue, Winger, Poison, and Def Leppard are cool too.
I wouldn't lump Poison (debut 1986) and Winger (debut 1988) in with the other two. Without Crue (debut 1981) and Leppard (debut 1980), there would have been no Poison and Winger. Keep in mind, when Crue released Too Fast and Shout, they were viewed as pure Heavy Metal. There was no debate on this issue. When touring in support of Shout, they were opening for either Ozzy or Maiden. When Poison and Winger started, they started, right from the start, doing MTV Pop Metal.

Zod

Keep in mind, when Crue released Too Fast and Shout, they were viewed as pure Heavy Metal.

yeah ... what was really confusing is how Twisted Sister went from "metal" to Hair Metal ... and found their long sought after success there.

and on the opposite end of the spectrum ... Pantera ... a really confused band ... that looked hair metal initialy, played Power Metal, and then went on to invent their own sound in some sense.

Pantera were confused because they mixed one of the greatest guitarists of all time with three other talentless morons.

While on the topic of the 80s: did anyone listen to a British band called Level 42?

Pantera were confused because they mixed one of the greatest guitarists of all time with three other talentless morons.

I always thought the band at its peak was a machine ... those guys really gelled together.

They were the first to sound mechanical, industrial, thrash ... crystal clear punch production ... all that shit.
This NUMetal wave owes a lot to Pantera.

And they could duplicate it live!!! The few times I saw them during Cowboys and Vulgar tour they were relentless.

I see your point, but I always thought Dime wrote everything and the other guys just did what he told them to do. I don't know for sure.
I'm really hungry right now, btw.
If anyone wants to know.

and then went on to invent their own sound in some sense.
Well, I suppose most of their later fans never heard Exhorder (Nor did I until long after I first heard Pantera), but noone can argue that they got SHIT FUCKING LOADS of influence from them so I kinda disagree with them inventing their own sound and all that... Made it big though - definitely.

/Hell Mike