"The Dark Discovery" is a GREAT album!

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
At first I thought it was an ok album... far inferior to the other two...

but lately I have been listening to this a lot... and it has really grown on me!

Despite the somewhat inferior production... the songs are amazing... there is a lot of dark melody and brooding atmosphere... I especially love the amazing trio of songs that conclude the album... the epic "When The River Calls", the ballad "For Every Tear That Falls" and the powerful closer "To Hope Is To Fear"!

Some of Evergrey's best songs are on TDD and Tom and Carina rule on For Every Tear That Fall's it is beyond awesome!

Bear

Agreed! When S-D-T came out I couldn't decide whether I liked it more or less than TDD just because they are so different. TDD is more atmospheric and the songs seem to merge together wheras the songs on S-D-T stands out more on their own. Then came ISOT which combined the strengths of the two previous albums.

While TDD is a great album the band has matured and evolved a lot since its release IMO. The demos for TDD were recorded like a month and a half after the band was formed and the album was done after only 8 months, long before the band found its unique identity.

I personally think they got better with each album. SDT was amazing but ISOT is the best album I've heard in the last 3-4 years IMO.

The dark discovery was the first album i got of Evergrey's a few years ago...and i still love it...i probably like it the most of their 3 albums...however theyre all very good albums. Keep up the good work everygrey! And come tour the states!!

The Dark Discovery is an awesome Evergrey release! Right up there with Solitude-Dominance-Tragedy...

My favorite song off of TTD at the moment is Blackened Dawn...but Trust And Betrayal is also a classic. Personally, I do not care for the female vocals in For Every Tear That Falls. Her voice does not suit the feel of the song in my opinon. I would rather of heard Thom sing all the way through it, or perhaps a bit more "angelic" sounding female...despite the negatives, the album is great.

Originally posted by Draconian Demon
The Dark Discovery is an awesome Evergrey release! Right up there with Solitude-Dominance-Tragedy...

My favorite song off of TTD at the moment is Blackened Dawn...but Trust And Betrayal is also a classic. Personally, I do not care for the female vocals in For Every Tear That Falls. Her voice does not suit the feel of the song in my opinon. I would rather of heard Thom sing all the way through it, or perhaps a bit more "angelic" sounding female...despite the negatives, the album is great.

I think Karina sounds perfect on "For Every Tear That Falls"... she has the type of voice you don't hear too much in metal... that "angelic" sounding voice is so cliched and overdone... Karina has a nice, warm, powerful, thick voice. She really adds a special element to the Evergrey sound.

I think she sounds too much like one of those "diva" women...I think the song would have been best without any female vocals, but her voice annoys me. For choir, it would be good, but as solo singing, I do not like it at all. I know I pretty much stand alone...shoot, Tarja would have been good for the shot.

Hey, that is why everyone is different. Either way, I hail Evergrey. I hope you do not dislike me, I am a fellow Evergrey fan, they are my favorite band alongside Iron Maiden, in fact, you posted on the Maiden board right? I was Iron Guardian, they changed the look so I was out.

Hey, that is why everyone is different. Either way, I hail Evergrey. I hope you do not dislike me, I am a fellow Evergrey fan, they are my favorite band alongside Iron Maiden, in fact, you posted on the Maiden board right? I was Iron Guardian, they changed the look so I was out.

Of course I don't hate you... I just think Carina Kjellberg has a beautiful voice...

and if Evergrey is your favorite band, then you're certainly cool with me!

I remember Iron Guardian. That guy kicked ass.

Well, last night I gave For Every Tear That Falls many listens. The voice is starting to grow on me. There is something about Evergrey that is just amazing. I know some people get the idea I do not like ISOT, I love it, and Recreation Day! :eek: Sounds AWESOME! I cannot wait!

When Maiden changed the board, I stopped posting. I loved posting there. I almost called myself Iron Guardian on here, but I didn't (obviously).

Well, last night I gave For Every Tear That Falls many listens. The voice is starting to grow on me. There is something about Evergrey that is just amazing. I know some people get the idea I do not like ISOT, I love it, and Recreation Day! :eek: Sounds AWESOME! I cannot wait!

When Maiden changed the board, I stopped posting. I loved posting there. I almost called myself Iron Guardian on here, but I didn't (obviously).

Draconian Demon is a cooler name.

Have you checked out the video clips for "Recreation Day" on the Evergrey website? The short clips of music that you can hear sound amazing. I have never been so excited for an album.